Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Old Nov 28, 14, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Old Nov 28, 14, 9:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It's really more like the Australian ETA required for issuance of a visa and admission for those proceeding from authorised nations, with some more onerous requirements thrown in (Australia doesn't much care where you've been in the last ten years, doesn't require you upload a passport and photo scan, etc.)
Old Nov 28, 14, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
So what is a "casual business visit"?
Old Nov 30, 14, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr View Post
I wrote about this on my blog today, after someone forwarded an article by Quartz India to me. If anyone wants to comment or add more insights on the blog post, please feel free to do so.

I wouldn't really consider it a Visa on Arrival, but -- assuming it works as it's supposed to (and that's a big assumption), then that's a HUGE improvement. I am going to India for my first time in March, so this is one less big obstacle. Of course, there's still all the planning and the vaccines...
This was a topic I was discussing with a friend just yesterday about how some of my colleagues go overboard in getting vaccinated before traveling on business to Bengaluru.

Sure - erring on the side of caution is always prudent but keeping up with the times is equally important. For example, I haven't heard of any case of Yellow Fever in the two years I have lived in the area. Also, many friends take malaria tablets in preparation of the trip and spend hundreds of dollars in vaccines.

Dengue, Chikungunya and a bad stomach are more likely problems for locals and visitors.

The best precaution - stay away from uncooked food (for example, the salads even in the best of restaurants) and drink only bottled water or RO filtered water. [RO - reverse osmosis - is the only form of filtration I would trust given the uncertainty of the source of the water].

Happy Travels. Coming back to the original topic - I too am looking forward to hearing about the first experiences for this new process.
Old Nov 30, 14, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Applicable to many (but not all) citizens of the following countries (as listed by the GoI):

Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kingdom of Tongo, Laos, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Mexico, Myanmar, New Zealand, Niue, Norway, Oman, Palestine, Papua & New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Kiribati, Republic of Korea (i.e. South Korea), Republic of Marshall Islands, Republic of Nauru, Republic of Palau, Russia, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, USA, Vietnam and Vanuatu.

The number of countries noted above by the Indian government is greater than 28. Thread title revision.
Old Dec 4, 14, 4:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Let's avoid derailing this thread into a discourse on the past efficacies of the the Indian govt, and instead focus on the good news for travelers to India from many countries, and share experiences in using this new facility.

Thanks,
AJLondon
Mod
Old Dec 5, 14, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
A friend of mine received his ETA within 12 hours of applying. US Citizen.
Old Dec 6, 14, 10:25 pm

This is fantastic news. The prior visa process was the only thing keeping my wife and me from India, so this will certainly gain them at least two visitors.
Old Dec 9, 14, 7:12 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN CP
I had requested VoA for my wife, and it was granted the next day. (She's a US citizen as well.) It was a little confusing at first, but that's because the normal visa website isn't the best. It's a huge step up from before!
Old Dec 15, 14, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
I am trying to obtain information regarding whether the ETA and visa on arrival process also applies to seaports (in addition to airports).
The consular page of the embassy/consulate refers visa questions to the "paper" visa provider Cox and Kings.
Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
Old Dec 15, 14, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hxhbk View Post
I am trying to obtain information regarding whether the ETA and visa on arrival process also applies to seaports (in addition to airports).
The consular page of the embassy/consulate refers visa questions to the "paper" visa provider Cox and Kings.
Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
I asked this question via the visa email link and posted the answer on a more general Indian visa thread. The program is only valid for entering via the following airports:

Bangalore, Chennai/Madras, Cochin, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata/Calcutta, Mumbai/Bombay and Trivandrum.

So, arrival by seaport still requires the old process. It would be accepted at a post upon departure, but not arrival.

The exact answer I received is:

Dear Milepig,

Thanks for writing to us!!!!!!

NO it will not be accepted at a cruise port.
However, you can only land at 9 Indian Airports where the TVOA
facilities are available such as Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Delhi , Trivandrum,
Cochin, Bangalore, Goa, Hyderabad and depart from any of the 82 ICP’S.

With Regards
TVOA Support Centre
Old Dec 15, 14, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for your input.
Old Dec 15, 14, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Arrivals by land/sea ports don't qualify for evisa use. Departures by evisa users are fine from any controlled air/land/sea ports classified as immigration check posts.

[ Of those 82, it was interesting to see that less than half are managed by the Indian Bureau of Immigration while more of the ICPs are managed by the individual states in India.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 15, 14 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 19, 14, 2:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
I applied for TVoA via ETA on the first day of operation, Nov 27th, for travel arriving in India on December 2nd. My application was approved within 24 hours. Upon check-in with Emirates at DFW, I was told I was the first person to check in with the new TVoA scheme. When I arrived at Delhi airport, the signs were all pointing to a new area under construction, but not yet opened, for processing the new TVoA. They obviously expect a lot of traffic with the program as 5-10 lanes were under construction to be used for it. Unfortunately, right now, the signage is all wrong and the location is in fact hidden underneath the escalators going down into the immigration area. The immigration agent's computer hung while processing mine and it took about 45 minutes to sort out, but ultimately my visa was granted.
Old Jan 1, 15, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Glad to hear this. ^
Old Jan 2, 15, 12:13 am

Has anyone tried this yet?

I was able to take advantage of Etihad error fare and I am headed to India in May... I was hoping to know if anyone has tried getting their visa upon arrival?? I would totally appreciate not going through that long visa process for a 1 week stay!! Let me know how it went!! Thanks

Last edited by oliver2002; Jan 7, 15 at 11:15 am Reason: removed bloglink, please read the rules

Search this Thread