Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:20 pm

Any tips on how to make the eVisa process as smooth as possible (for Americans)? In particular:

1. photo-taking - using a phone? Do I just stand in front of a white wall? any tips on getting photos accepted?
2. I read on this thread that max. of 20 countries can be entered, but it is not necessary to be 100% accurate, right?
3. do most people get their eVisa approved and emailed to them within 24 to 48 hours?
4. anything that is likely to trigger an error?

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can upload the picture you took with your phone to sites like https://www.epassportphoto.com/44/Fr...Passport/step1
And they format it for you. The guidelines are:
  • The height and width of the Applicant Photo must be equal.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 200 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 1500 pixels (width) x 1500 pixels (height).
  • The height and width of the Signature Photo must have aspect ratio 1:3.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 67 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 1500 pixels (width) x 500 pixels (height).
​​​​​​​The application gets processed quickly.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can upload the picture you took with your phone to sites like https://www.epassportphoto.com/44/Fr...Passport/step1
And they format it for you. The guidelines are:
The trickiest part about taking my own passport photo is to avoid any light shadow around my head. I suppose they can format my photo for the right dimensions, but cannot edit out any shadow that they find unacceptable. Is that right?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yes, make sure there are no shadows.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: EY
Indian e-visas have been reinstated for citizens of 156 countries, but notably not the UK or Canada. Does anyone know the official reasoning for this? I presume it's an attempt to get those countries to negotiate better free trade deals, though presumably the travel troubles are more of an issue for India than it is those countries.

Applying for regular visas or OCIs takes months longer than earlier days, so it's not as valid an alternative. Lots of people missed holidays and trips back home to their native country as a result this summer.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:11 am

The UK denial has to with the hoops all Indians have to jump thru to get a visa there. The PIO/OCI scheme is in place since more that 21 years... if the Indian diaspora haven't gotten their OCI card yet ... 🤦‍♂️
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:14 am

visas are mostly reciprocal based. but there are also many other factors

US visa is not easy for indians to get either. but clearly, either india is happy with other aspects, or is pandering to US.

you dont see mexico imposing visa requirement for americans but US makes it difficult for mexicans to enter. this is because the $$$ americans pour into cancun, cabos, etc is enough for mexico to 'turn a blind eye'
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The UK denial has to with the hoops all Indians have to jump thru to get a visa there. The PIO/OCI scheme is in place since more that 21 years... if the Indian diaspora haven't gotten their OCI card yet ... 🤦‍♂️
I'm not familiar with the hoops that Indians have to get a visa to go to the UK, but I don't imagine it's any more stringent than the Schengen area or even the US, which has a much higher bar, needs an interview, etc. But India has no issues giving e-visas to Americans. I'm guessing the Canadian thing is perhaps due to India thinking Canada supports Khalistan? Pure speculation on my part. The end result is India is cutting off its nose to spite its face. Canadians or Brits not being able to freely visit India is not exactly on the top of any Western political to do lists, nor would there be any significant domestic pressure on those governments to relent.

The OCI comment misses the point, as there will always be millions of new former Indian and now foreign citizens and new children of OCIs who would only now be eligible for a card, but may wish to visit India in the meantime while waiting for it to be processed.

I do agree that any PIOs should have long ago converted to OCI but that's an entirely separate issue, coupled with the fact that India keeps extending the deadline to do so. Affects a very small minority of passengers while the current visa issue is real.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
visas are mostly reciprocal based. but there are also many other factors

US visa is not easy for indians to get either. but clearly, either india is happy with other aspects, or is pandering to US.

you dont see mexico imposing visa requirement for americans but US makes it difficult for mexicans to enter. this is because the $$$ americans pour into cancun, cabos, etc is enough for mexico to 'turn a blind eye'
The reciprocity thing at least from India's side has always been a joke. A significant number or majority of the 156 countries eligibile for Indian e-visas require Indians to get visas before entry, even the UAE in most cases. India will not get visa on arrival in those places any time soon, based on the sheer numbers of Indians who overstay their existing visas, making it a non plausible situation for many countries. It is good that India has the Evisa scheme (though it can be significantly improved), but claiming it's based on reciprocity when it really isn't, is just unnecessary bluster. We saw the same with acceptance of vaccine documents from only certain countries, presumably based on whether they accepted India's homegrown vaccines, an unnecessary nationalistic approach to public health that did nothing to promote safety and was only used as a hammer to try to get countries to bend to India and to push up Indian companies. The air bubble disaster was a similar operation to boost Air India ahead of its sale.

The Mexico thing is similar to what India and the US are. Visas are needed for Mexicans because they have a high overstay rate in the US, as do Indians (if it's less than 2%, than they are eligible for ESTA to enter visa free into the US). But Americans are not going into Mexico to overstay, nor are Canadians or Brits going into India to overstay. So there's no practical or security benefit to require visas from them. And for non visiting friends and relatives traffic, any friction or hurdle in the entry process is another reason to go somewhere else that isn't as much of hassle. People can easily go to Indonesia or Maldives or Thailand and enter for free or very low cost using simplified systems, versus the multiple barriers and taxes that India imposes on anyone wishing to visit (eg charging $100 to Americans for Evisas and $60 to everyone else, that would add up for a family wanting to do their first visit to Asia, for example). India could and should have more visitors (a few years ago, they had only 6 million visitors, less than Syria before the war and 1/10th what China gets). There's lots to see and do, but putting these frustrating bureaucratic raj blocks does not show the rest of the world that India is open for business and tourism.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by xobile
The reciprocity thing at least from India's side has always been a joke. A significant number or majority of the 156 countries eligibile for Indian e-visas require Indians to get visas before entry, even the UAE in most cases. India will not get visa on arrival in those places any time soon, based on the sheer numbers of Indians who overstay their existing visas, making it a non plausible situation for many countries. It is good that India has the Evisa scheme (though it can be significantly improved), but claiming it's based on reciprocity when it really isn't, is just unnecessary bluster. We saw the same with acceptance of vaccine documents from only certain countries, presumably based on whether they accepted India's homegrown vaccines, an unnecessary nationalistic approach to public health that did nothing to promote safety and was only used as a hammer to try to get countries to bend to India and to push up Indian companies. The air bubble disaster was a similar operation to boost Air India ahead of its sale.

The Mexico thing is similar to what India and the US are. Visas are needed for Mexicans because they have a high overstay rate in the US, as do Indians (if it's less than 2%, than they are eligible for ESTA to enter visa free into the US). But Americans are not going into Mexico to overstay, nor are Canadians or Brits going into India to overstay. So there's no practical or security benefit to require visas from them. And for non visiting friends and relatives traffic, any friction or hurdle in the entry process is another reason to go somewhere else that isn't as much of hassle. People can easily go to Indonesia or Maldives or Thailand and enter for free or very low cost using simplified systems, versus the multiple barriers and taxes that India imposes on anyone wishing to visit (eg charging $100 to Americans for Evisas and $60 to everyone else, that would add up for a family wanting to do their first visit to Asia, for example). India could and should have more visitors (a few years ago, they had only 6 million visitors, less than Syria before the war and 1/10th what China gets). There's lots to see and do, but putting these frustrating bureaucratic raj blocks does not show the rest of the world that India is open for business and tourism.
yes I hear what you are saying. indian, chinese, filipino etc passport holders will almost always require visa wherever they go bc many are notorious for overstaying. they make life difficult for their own countrymen who dont break the rules.

on the other hand, it is also difficult to enter many west africa nations freely (need visa, need bribe etc) and last I heard nobody is moving there for greener pastures. so this has something more to do with the political climate eg authoritarian government
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I'm not familiar with the hoops that Indians have to get a visa to go to the UK, but I don't imagine it's any more stringent than the Schengen area or even the US, which has a much higher bar, needs an interview, etc.
In 2020 I was in the unfortunate position of having all my long term visas expire. My long term US, UK, Schengen, Canadian & Singapore visas all expired between February - July 2020. Luckily I managed to renew my US visa before Covid hit but for the others I had to wait till the respective Embassies started visa operations again towards the end of the year or even in 2021 & 2022.

Renewing all the others was a breeze but the UK visa was an experience I would not want to go through again. The form was the longest & most inconvenient form I have ever filled in my life. The bio-metric process was a mess & the turnaround time was the stuff of nightmares. My entire experience can be summarized by the fact that they took 15 weeks to issue the visa & did so on the day after I got back from the trip where I was supposed to use it.

When I went to pick up my passport there was a section filled with people complaining about how long they had been waiting to get their visas. During my 30 minute wait I heard at least a dozen people complaining that they had paid extra money for the expedited service to get their visa within 5 days & had now been waiting for months. One guy had been waiting for almost 8 months. During this time they hold on to your passport & only give it back to you if you agree to pay an additional fee. No other Embassy does this.

At the end of the day I found in much more difficult & definitely more inconvenient to get my UK visa as compared to others like Schengen, US, etc. Others who I know who have applied for the UK visa over the last few years have told me the same thing.

Having said that, I have no clue if this difficulty is the reason why India decided to keep the UK off the visa on arrival list. Our current government is not known for doing things in a rational manner. There are probably other factors at play between the 2 governments & your guess is as good as mine what they could be.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:59 am

My guess is they want to build up pressure on the UK govt via the Indian diaspora.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 4:53 am

My BF (Mexican) and I (German) have applied for an eVisa last Sunday (30th) and he already received his granted eVisa the next morning (Monday). Another friend (German) applied for his eVisa on Wednesday and received it on Friday. His GF was asked to provide additional information (flight tickets, also German) after 24 hours from applying. ANOTHER friend (Israeli) applied yesterday (Friday) and received it this morning! (Saturday)

i don’t understand why I have not received my eVisa yet, I was literally the first one to apply. I don’t understand what’s wrong. Is the inconsistency normal? I am starting to worry.

the online status shows that it was successfully received and so was the payment
Old Nov 5, 2022, 1:46 pm

...I don't imagine it's any more stringent than the Schengen area or even the US...
Imagine away!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm not familiar with the hoops that Indians have to get a visa to go to the UK, but I don't imagine it's any more stringent than the Schengen area
…..

I understand Schengen visas for Indians can be less time/cash/effort consuming than the UK version: and among the Schengen nations there are some that will be known as easier than others. A well qualified friend got an Italian-sourced visa but baulked at the additional cost, faff and uncertainty in the application for a UK visa. So we plan to meet up in Amsterdam.

There'll be similar cases, adding up to a loss in potential revenue to UK tourism from Indian visitors, but it's hard not to see that loss dwarfed by the one India experiences from discouraging visitors from the UK.

Whatever Modi is hoping to secure from the UK government, visa tit-for-tat seems to represent a particularly weak bargaining chip …… and something of an own-goal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.