Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
1 Not a problem I've experienced

2 I wouldn't worry about this. Unless you've been to Pakistan.

3 Put the hotel

You might try using a different browser.

I applied again last week. No problems at all and the approval mail fell into my inbox within 24 hours.
OK, slight hiccup was they didn't attach the visa itself as a PDF, so i had to hunt it down on their website.
Thanks for sharing your good experience. I will try again and see.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:23 pm

What's the visa number of previous visas? Is it in the ETA?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
What's the visa number of previous visas? Is it in the ETA?
I managed to find my old passport and this is the case.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:32 pm

Confused between E-visa and Regular (stamped on passport) visa

The E-visa website: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html - states that a person (US Citizen) can get an E-visa for 1-month or 1-year or 5-years validity.
It seems the 1 or 5 year E-visa can have multiple entries with stays up to 180 days for US citizens.

If this is correct, why would anyone go through the process of getting a regular visa stamped on the passport at the Indian embassy?

Am i missing something?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They simplified the process making the regular visa unnecessary in most cases
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thank you very much for this!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
That is great to hear! When was this change made?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Sometime in 2017 the ETA scheme was expanded to include business travel and long term multiple entry visa.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
why would anyone go through the process of getting a regular visa stamped on the passport at the Indian embassy?
There's no doubt that the process has simplified things for a great majority of travelers to India. However... The e-visa scheme only covers tourists, business travelers, and travel for medical treatment. For a wide range of other travel purposes and with various conditions, you'll still need to apply for the regular visa. E.g., if you're going to work or study in India, if you're a journalist or shooting a movie, if you want to enter India at any airport other than the couple of dozen airports that the e-visa permits, or if you want to enter by road, rail, or sea, if you're part of a cruise / group tour, if you're a citizen of one of many countries for whom the e-visa is not available, if you're a religious missionary, or if you're seeking visas for long stay and residence in India. You may be surprised to learn how many different kinds of travel happen to India; it is, after all, a vast country and people travel to it for hundreds of reasons. What we see on FlyerTalk might be a very small slice (in terms of variety) of these. In my opinion, it's great that they've simplified the process for the most common reasons for travel, and hopefully the consulates can focus on processing all the other travel visa requests in a more efficient way.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:47 am

I last travelled to India on a eVisa 2 years ago and was stuck in the immigration queue for over an hour, despite only a few people ahead of me.
Is the waiting time atill this bad?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:16 am

In the larger aiports they have adjusted the infrastructure and layout because the bulk of the visitors now come with eTAs. In DEL for example a completely new bank of 12(?) desks was put in which now deal with eTAs only.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tom1986
I last travelled to India on a eVisa 2 years ago and was stuck in the immigration queue for over an hour, despite only a few people ahead of me.
Is the waiting time atill this bad?
It's way better now at DEL at least, but it's bad enough at times that I am willing to deal with the hassles of having passports submitted for physical Indian visas so as to minimize the gamble on arrival.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's way better now at DEL at least, but it's bad enough at times that I am willing to deal with the hassles of having passports submitted for physical Indian visas so as to minimize the gamble on arrival.
That does not sound too convincing. I will be applying for a regular visa then.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tom1986
That does not sound too convincing. I will be applying for a regular visa then.
If you are only doing one or two visits to India, it may not be worth it to do the regular visa if you don't need to do it. Dealing with getting an Indian physical visa is also not a fun process for all.

Most of the people with whom I go to India go to India often enough that it's not just one or two visits to India; any many a trip for some of us to India involve two or more entries into India as we may use India as a regional base for travels.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you are only doing one or two visits to India, it may not be worth it to do the regular visa if you don't need to do it. Dealing with getting an Indian physical visa is also not a fun process for all.

Most of the people with whom I go to India go to India often enough that it's not just one or two visits to India; any many a trip for some of us to India involve two or more entries into India as we may use India as a regional base for travels.
I'm used to applying for the regular visa, so not a big hassle. Just a bit more expensive, but worth it, since I am in no mood queueing for 1 hour+ (again) at 1 in the morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.