Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The nap cabins in T3 international are in the international concourse very close to the depature gates, definitely not a quiet place, but on the airside. They will not get you thru security though.

The PP facilities are landside, visa required. They are usually all occupied and also not really nice.
So the holiday inn is the only viable no visa processing hassle option for that night based on your experience?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes boss.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:50 pm

Bureaucracy is everywhere until one faces it

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
That's typical of the Indian bureaucratic system; ask stupid questions.
And have you applied for US visas and seen questions which others might think stupid. Other countries might be as bureaucratic and senseless & fear mongered (if thats a word) processing when it comes to immigration documents, processing and rejections. Go figure!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Does anyone have any experience of applying for the e-Visa recently with a UK passport? Does it actually take 72 hours or can I expect it sooner?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:03 am

Why did my e-Visa app cost $100 instead of $75? I'm a US citizen FWIW. All documentation I have found says it should be $75.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I have this year's second E-visa, stretching into January 2019, which will be useful for a post-NY visit.

But there's a niggle that having the visa invade next year might cut my allowance of two visas for 2019 down to only one. Common sense tells me this is nonsense, and my 2018-origin visa is locked into that year, even if it does cover part of 2019.

But common sense is one thing: visa rules quite another. And essentially i'll be getting 5 entries into India on e-visas in 2019, when "they" expect to see only 4.

Has anyone experience to share?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I have this year's second E-visa, stretching into January 2019, which will be useful for a post-NY visit.

But there's a niggle that having the visa invade next year might cut my allowance of two visas for 2019 down to only one. Common sense tells me this is nonsense, and my 2018-origin visa is locked into that year, even if it does cover part of 2019.

But common sense is one thing: visa rules quite another. And essentially i'll be getting 5 entries into India on e-visas in 2019, when "they" expect to see only 4.

Has anyone experience to share?
the evisa webiste now states that you can have 3 per year . I have highlightd this in text below

Not sure if this is a typo on the website

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

INSTRUCTIONS

Instructions for e-Visa
  • e-Visa has 4 sub-categories i.e., e-Tourist visa, e-Business Visa , e-Medical Visa and e-Medical Attendant Visa. A foreigner will be permitted to club these categories. Only 2 e-Medical Attendant Visas will be granted against 1 e-Medical Visa.
  • Applicants of the eligible countries/territories may apply online minimum 4 days in advance of the date of arrival with a window of 120 days. Example: If you are applying on 1st Sept then applicant can select arrival date from 5th Sept to 2nd Jan
  • Recent front facing photograph with white background and photo page of Passport containing personal details like name, date of birth, nationality, expiry date etc are to be uploaded mandatorily by the applicant. Additionally one more document depending upon the e-Visa type would also be required to be uploaded. The application is liable to be rejected if the uploaded documents and photograph are not clear / as per specification.
  • e-Visa fee is country/Territory specific. Bank transaction charges of 2.5% will be charged additionally on applicable e-Visa fees. The fee must be paid at least 4 days before the expected date of travel otherwise application will not be processed. To know the fee applicable on your Country/Territory please Click here .
  • e-Visa fee once submitted is non-refundable as the fee is for processing of the application and is not dependent on either Grant or Rejection of Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).
  • Applicant should carry a copy of Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) along with him/her at the time of travel. Please confirm that your ETA status is shown as 'GRANTED' on this website prior to commencement of your journey. Applicants can track the status of their application online by clicking VisaStatus
  • Biometric details of the applicant will be mandatorily captured at Immigration on arrival in India.
  • The validity of e-Visa will be 60 days from the date of arrival in India.Double entry is permitted on e-Tourist Visa and e-Business Visa. Triple entry will be permitted on e-Medical Visa.
  • e-Visa is valid for entry through 26 designated Airports (i.e. Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh,Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai,Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum, Varanasi & Vishakhapatnam) and 5 designated seaports (i.e. Cochin, Goa, Mangalore,Mumbai,Chennai). However, the foreigner can take exit from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.
  • This facility is in addition to the existing Visa services.
  • e-Visa can be availed for maximum of three times in a calendar year i.e. between January to December.
  • e-Visa is non-extendable, non-convertible & not valid for visiting Protected/Restricted and Cantonment Areas. If you intend to visit Protected/Restricted/Cantonment areas, you would require prior permission from the Civil Authority please visit here.
  • Please be careful while making payment of the e-Visa fee. If the number of unsuccessful attempts is more than three (03), then the application id would be blocked and the applicant would be required to apply afresh by filling the application form again and regenerating a new application id.
  • The e-Visa fee payment status updation may take up to 4 hours due to technical reasons/network delays. Before re-applying, the applicants are requested to wait for 4 hours for payment status updating, after final submission of the application form and payment of the fee. In cases, where e-Visa fee has been deducted but status is not updated, the applicants are advised to verify their payment status by clicking on 'Verify Payment/Pay Visa Fee' tab or by clicking on the link Verify Payment.
  • Nationals of Yellow Fever affected countries or travellers arriving from these countries must carry YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION CARD at the time of arrival in India, otherwise they may be quarantined for 6 days upon arrival in India. Please visit our Ministry Of Health & Family Welfare latest guidelines regarding yellow fever countries here.
  • For any assistance call 24 * 7 e-Visa support center at +91-11-24300666 or send email to [email protected]
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
the evisa webiste now states that you can have 3 per year . I have highlightd this in text below

Not sure if this is a typo on the website

Many thanks for that! I noticed it the other day when i knuckled down to applying for an e-visa.

I'd decided to go for an expensive but cost-effective five year multiple entry visa, but got put off by the insanely complicated procedures to follow (with no guarantee of success) - and by a visa agency representative who told me they do have success getting the visas for clients, but a number are unaccountably refused or granted with fewer than five years' validity. And, of course, no refund of the significant cost of the five-year visa.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Many thanks for that! I noticed it the other day when i knuckled down to applying for an e-visa.

I'd decided to go for an expensive but cost-effective five year multiple entry visa, but got put off by the insanely complicated procedures to follow (with no guarantee of success) - and by a visa agency representative who told me they do have success getting the visas for clients, but a number are unaccountably refused or granted with fewer than five years' validity. And, of course, no refund of the significant cost of the five-year visa.
​​​​​​5 year Visa would be easier to get if you have a history of previous longer term visa's rather than a few short term e visa 's

If you are visiting so frequently then the 5 year one could help a lot in reducing the hassle of an evisa every time.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
​​​​​​5 year Visa would be easier to get if you have a history of previous longer term visa's rather than a few short term e visa 's

If you are visiting so frequently then the 5 year one could help a lot in reducing the hassle of an evisa every time.
Well, yes - that was why I drifted into the idea of paying a lump sum of Ł300+ for five years: faff avoidance and lower cost per visit.

Life's too short to build up what may - or may not - be a "good" visa history.

I'm told that some consulates in third countries are willing to supply visas.
Dealing directly with the consulate you'll know exactly the type of visa you can get.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:53 am
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I'm scheduled to fly SFO-YVR-DEL on AC today, and I just now remembered to apply for my eVisa. I land in Delhi in ~30 hours. The website says 72 hours, but is it likely to be approved sooner than that? Will AC accept my e-Visa application form as proof of documentation to allow me to fly to DEL? Unfrotuantely, TIMATIC seems to say "a printed confirmation of the ETA" is required. Would they allow me to fly to YVR first, and hopefully the e-Visa will be approved by then? I still have about 12 hours until my YVR-DEL flight.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to eVisa issues ....

On my second entry on an earlier two-visit eVisas I was turfed out of the regular line and sent packing to the eVisa section.

I thought my logic faultless. I already had a visa in my passport from my first visit, so reckoned the original application process was no longer relevant: a visa is a visa. But I accept the pointless nature of any argument with bureaucracy, so on all subsequent "second visits" I've used the eVisa lines.

Now I see in another thread, a poster saying under the same circumstance she was sent from the eVisa section to the regular line. Her experience was the complete opposite to mine.

I wonder.... is there any official, definitive, ruling on this?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I wonder.... is there any official, definitive, ruling on this?
the ruling is to keep you guessing....there is often no logic behind most of the things they do....
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Questions about filling e-Visa application forms online

I went to this official web site to apply. I encountered quite a few problems. Appreciate if you can help answering a few questions.

Here is where I apply:

Questions:
1. I experienced the web site extremely non-responsive. Cut off a few time in the middle of the lengthy process. Is this to be expected? Time of day issue? Please advise.
2. Under the questions of "Countries visited in last 10 years", the site did not allow further input after 11 countries (I have dozens to go). What do you do if you have so many countries traveled in the last 10 years?
3. When asks about "Contact in India". I put down my hotel (I am not visiting anybody, just a tourist). If I left it blank, I would not be allowed to move forward. What do you do here?
Thank you in advance!!

Edit to add: Having problem loading my photo. When use the BROWSE button to select the photo, the photo NEVER did get selected. I think I might have to give up India on account of its wonky web site!

Last edited by allset2travel; Feb 22, 2019 at 2:03 pm Reason: Edit to add
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I went to this official web site to apply. I encountered quite a few problems. Appreciate if you can help answering a few questions.

Here is where I apply:

Questions:
1. I experienced the web site extremely non-responsive. Cut off a few time in the middle of the lengthy process. Is this to be expected? Time of day issue? Please advise.
2. Under the questions of "Countries visited in last 10 years", the site did not allow further input after 11 countries (I have dozens to go). What do you do if you have so many countries traveled in the last 10 years?
3. When asks about "Contact in India". I put down my hotel (I am not visiting anybody, just a tourist). If I left it blank, I would not be allowed to move forward. What do you do here?
Thank you in advance!!

Edit to add: Having problem loading my photo. When use the BROWSE button to select the photo, the photo NEVER did get selected. I think I might have to give up India on account of its wonky web site!
1 Not a problem I've experienced

2 I wouldn't worry about this. Unless you've been to Pakistan.

3 Put the hotel

You might try using a different browser.

I applied again last week. No problems at all and the approval mail fell into my inbox within 24 hours.
OK, slight hiccup was they didn't attach the visa itself as a PDF, so i had to hunt it down on their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.