Search

Booking Taxis without a Local Mobile Number

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Booking Taxis without a Local Mobile Number

I don't have an Indian SIM - never particularly had the need for it - and won't be able to get one (easily) before I next need to book taxis. So I wonder if any could help me out with their experience of booking taxis.

Normally, it's been colleagues or hotels booking cabs for me (or me picking them up from a prepay stand or rank). However, my one experience with Meru went badly, as they were unable to contact me on an international number, and so cancelled the taxi a short notice, leaving me in the lurch.

All the online taxi-booking services need a local mobile number. Is there any way round this?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Uber should work if you have a smartphone + wifi and already signed up before you went to India. If not, you could try signing up through their website, but you would need to be able to send a text to confirm your number. I'm not sure if you can receive/respond to texts while in India with your foreign number. If you can, then you could try signing up...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Uber! Good call - I do have an account. And yes, I have no problem sending and receiving texts roaming inbIndia. The fare estimate is double what a normal prebooked taxi would be, though (but still affordable). My only concern is how many will be around at 4am!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Oh, actually, ignore that, the quote search was taking me further away. Actually, the fare is *very* competitive. If I can get some confidence about the availability in the middle of the night, I think I'll probably go for it.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by stut
If I can get some confidence about the availability in the middle of the night, I think I'll probably go for it.
which city????i've booked cabs with uber in the middle of the night in del & bom....availability was good....
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Chennai, at 4am off the BA flight. Although they'd be handy in a Hyderabad too...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by stut
Chennai, at 4 am off the BA flight...
If the taxi is required for a pickup on arrival then there is a Fast Track taxi counter at the MAA International Arrivals terminal and they'll take you directly to the taxi.

For arrivals I prefer to take pre-paid taxis as my driver does not have to hang around with a sign and if the flight arrives late then they may or may not hang around.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
If the taxi is required for a pickup on arrival then there is a Fast Track taxi counter at the MAA International Arrivals terminal and they'll take you directly to the taxi.

For arrivals I prefer to take pre-paid taxis as my driver does not have to hang around with a sign and if the flight arrives late then they may or may not hang around.
Sure, I've no problem doing that. It's just that FastTrack are expensive (roughly double what the radio taxis charge) and I'm a stingy Scot...

In general, though, it'd be handy to have an app-based cab company I can use in the cities in India I regularly visit - it's just that most are tied to having an Indian mobile number. I'll probably get round to getting a local SIM card at some point...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Lowly Blue
It's a massive hassle - I had to prove residence and so on to get a sim...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by peshwengi
It's a massive hassle - I had to prove residence and so on to get a sim...
The biggest problems which I've had with Indian prepaid SIMs are: my prepaid account funds expire before I use them again; and/or that the GOI blocked them or international SIMs from being used in some parts of India (during at least some previous periods of time).

Hasn't the ease of visitors signing up for prepaid SIMs improved again? It used to be as easy as showing a passport and handing over money. Then it became more difficult. It hasn't eased up yet again?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: Lowly Blue
I only have a postpaid sim to be fair, so I don't really know.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Well, thought I'd come back and update with my experiences...

On the outbound, used Uber both ways from the airport to the Trident and back again. Outbound wasn't great - the driver forgot to start the journey (was my first Uber experience, so I didn't know what I was looking for) until on the GST Road, and demanded Rs200 on top of the Rs150 minimum fare on arrival for "airport fees".

The way back was smooth as you like. Plenty availability on both times. Drawback, of course, is data fees - the Uber app is very data heavy, with realtime map updates - I wonder if a much lighter 'roaming' mode could be included? So the real cost was quite inflated.

On the inbound, I ended up just getting an airport prepay taxi, which to my delight was a lovely old Ambassador (a new experience for MrsStut, who enjoyed it as much as I did), and was Rs270. The hotel gave us a free ride back to the airport in the morning.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
The first uber driver was, obviously, trying to scam you. Complain.

The inbound - glad you liked those old boneshakers, which are what you will get if you request a non aircon taxi. Aircon taxis from that company (just labeled 'pre paid airport taxi') are suzuki swift dzire sedans. http://static.ibnlive.in.com/pix/sli...ire-030211.jpg .. there are two other outfits you can try - Fast Track and I forgot the third one .. Fast Track gives you sedans as well, while the third one uses SUVs (chevy tavera / tata innova ..).
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hserus
The first uber driver was, obviously, trying to scam you. Complain.

The inbound - glad you liked those old boneshakers, which are what you will get if you request a non aircon taxi. Aircon taxis from that company (just labeled 'pre paid airport taxi') are suzuki swift dzire sedans. http://static.ibnlive.in.com/pix/sli...ire-030211.jpg .. there are two other outfits you can try - Fast Track and I forgot the third one .. Fast Track gives you sedans as well, while the third one uses SUVs (chevy tavera / tata innova ..).
I did complain - they responded immediately with a refund, a credit, and a promise to give a stern talking to. Then I realised I'd given them the details of the (faultless) return journey, and sheepishly went back to apologise and make sure the correct driver was criticised!

I do like old Ambassadors (and the old hands that tend to drive them) - I have fond memories of them from trips to India 10-15 years ago. I can see why they're becoming increasingly impractical, but there's a certain elegance to them which I still enjoy. I rarely travel by car at home, so road journeys are more a novelty than an annoyance!

Used FastTrack on my last visit to MAA last year, and they were fine, if a little on the pricey side for a trip down to Mahabalipuram in the dead of night (thanks to an Air Costa 5-hour delay...) But, well, I got the bus back so it all evens out, eh? (And eventually the train via Tirusulam, which is quite an experience to access the terminal from at the moment, but that's for another thread...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.