Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ranthambore closed in March?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Ranthambore closed in March?

So, we're visiting India next month and wanted to see some wildlife while we were there. We followed the various guides and booked a couple of jeep safaris in Ranthambore. All ticketed and all valid according to the booking website. However, we tried to book transfers to Ranthambore recently and the agent we spoke with said he was happy to do the transfers but were we sure we wanted to go since the park was closed. I've emailed the 'Forest Management' government email address but have had no response. Their website says:
"Dear User, Advance bookings for the following places are stopped till the next direction from the Department of Forest, Rajasthan for organization of the World Wilderness Congress being co-hosted by Rajasthan Government : 1. Jhalana nature park, Jaipur : 14th to 31st March 2020 2. Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve, Sawaimadhopur: 16th to 31st March 2020 3. Sariska Tiger Reserve, Alwar: 16th to 31st March 2020 FMDSS Team"
I have no idea whether this means my booking is still valid and it's just further bookings which are stopped, or whether everything is closed? Searching the web seems to come up blank. I'm just confused as to why the government would shut 3 national parks for 2.5 weeks for a relatively small conference. Or perhaps this is my first lesson on travelling in India?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
when did you send the email????the government agencies take their own sweet time to respond....

is there a number of the website????if so then i would call them to get more info....
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
is there a number of the website????if so then i would call them to get more info....
Thanks for the advice, I shall give them a call on Monday and see what I can find out.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by marble
Thanks for the advice, I shall give them a call on Monday and see what I can find out.
great....keep us posted on what they say....
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:46 am
Original Poster

So, I've spoken to my hotel and also the Forest Department. I'm not sure I got through to the right person at the Forest Department, so they didn't provide much information. However, my hotel said they had checked with local officials and that advance booking were still valid and the park was open. We have advance booking so we're apparently still fine. There are apparently 1500 or so delegates descending on Jaipur for the 'World Wilderness Congress' and it sounds like the government are trying to hold as many of the remaining places as possible.

Our fingers are crossed that all goes smoothly, but we're also happy to have a few days downtime if things don't materialise.
Keyser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.