Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

That quote is true of any airlines and airport anywhere. I do not understand your question. What exactly are you trying to do and where?

Basically

CPT-DXB-BOM-DXB-CPT.

So I would fly to Dubai then spend a night there as i need to go to Dubai just for the night, but prices a rocket high for a direct flight to Dubai with Emirates, so if i fly to BOM the next day and then fly back immediately to Dubai after landing then connecting onto CPT. This will cut the price in half for me and i can justify the time spent in relation to the cost here, however my only concern is immigration/visa issues, but if it is a simple transit experience in BOM then i shall go for it.

Does that help explain things better?

Originally Posted by flyalways
What most airlines will not do is tag bags back to its original destination. So if you check bag in DXB then they will not let you check the bag DXB-BOM-DXB. Very rarely you are in such situations but I was in once for a DOH-DXB-DOH-LHR ticket. I had to exit at DXB and recheck for DXB-DOH-LHR flight. This was on QR but true for all....
I will recheck to CPT in DXB before going to BOM, this shouldn't be an issue.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Basically

CPT-DXB-BOM-DXB-CPT.

So I would fly to Dubai then spend a night there as i need to go to Dubai just for the night, but prices a rocket high for a direct flight to Dubai with Emirates, so if i fly to BOM the next day and then fly back immediately to Dubai after landing then connecting onto CPT. This will cut the price in half for me and i can justify the time spent in relation to the cost here, however my only concern is immigration/visa issues, but if it is a simple transit experience in BOM then i shall go for it.

Does that help explain things better?

I will recheck to CPT in DXB before going to BOM, this shouldn't be an issue.
Assuming the following:
- You have check-in luggage
- Your outbound is CPT - DXB - BOM and inbound is BOM - DXB - CPT.

I doubt this will be a simple transit for you. Since your outbound flight is originating in India, you will have to get your BP and luggage tags issued at the airline counters in India where they check your visa etc. Your proposed plan will only work IF the transfer desk can issue you a BP with no checked-in luggage. I would suggest calling the EK BOM airport office (not city office) to confirm.

Otherwise you will have to clear customs & immigration. Keep in mind that depending on the time of day, an aircraft can usually turn around faster (~1.5 hours) in BOM than you can clear customs & immigration, recheck yourself at the EK counters and go through customs & immigration again. When does your inbound land and what is the turn around time?

The good news though is that you can apply for an e-visa online. And if you're a South African national, your visa is free.

Your proposed routing does look risky... talk to EK BOM airport office to see if they can help you.

All the best and let us know how it works out.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:51 pm

Assuming the following:
- You have check-in luggage
- Your outbound is CPT - DXB - BOM and inbound is BOM - DXB - CPT.

I doubt this will be a simple transit for you. Since your outbound flight is originating in India, you will have to get your BP and luggage tags issued at the airline counters in India where they check your visa etc. Your proposed plan will only work IF the transfer desk can issue you a BP with no checked-in luggage. I would suggest calling the EK BOM airport office (not city office) to confirm.

Otherwise you will have to clear customs & immigration. Keep in mind that depending on the time of day, an aircraft can usually turn around faster (~1.5 hours) in BOM than you can clear customs & immigration, recheck yourself at the EK counters and go through customs & immigration again. When does your inbound land and what is the turn around time?

The good news though is that you can apply for an e-visa online. And if you're a South African national, your visa is free.

Your proposed routing does look risky... talk to EK BOM airport office to see if they can help you.

All the best and let us know how it works out.
"You have check-in luggage & Your outbound is CPT - DXB - BOM and inbound is BOM - DXB - CPT. "
- Yes i would, but would ideally check this in to Cape Town from Dubai, meaning it is tagged to CPT and not BOM. I am pretty sure that would be a nightmare having it tagged to BOM, in regards to retrieval. I am nearly certain that is possible, but will check with Emirates regarding the tagging to CPT from DXB even thou my itinerary says it should be going to BOM as part of the completion of my outbound sector.

I am British, but live in South Africa. I would thus have to get a visa and allow a even more time to spare on the safer side, which i would not do. If i have to get a visa to pick up bags at BOM then i will rather book to IST( Istanbul, Turkey) as they are a bit cheaper and fulfil what i need to do.

Update: I spoke to a chap at Emirates, said was not possible but worth a shot in DXB before going to DEL. He said if they do not tag just to CPT then place bags in storage and come back ( my transfer time would most certainly allow this) and then recheck to Cape Town.

Thanks again

Last edited by Flame3601; Apr 8, 2018 at 6:07 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
"You have check-in luggage & Your outbound is CPT - DXB - BOM and inbound is BOM - DXB - CPT. "
- Yes i would, but would ideally check this in to Cape Town from Dubai, meaning it is tagged to CPT and not BOM. I am pretty sure that would be a nightmare having it tagged to BOM, in regards to retrieval. I am nearly certain that is possible, but will check with Emirates regarding the tagging to CPT from DXB even thou my itinerary says it should be going to BOM as part of the completion of my outbound sector.

I am British, but live in South Africa. I would thus have to get a visa and allow a even more time to spare on the safer side, which i would not do. If i have to get a visa to pick up bags at BOM then i will rather book to IST( Istanbul, Turkey) as they are a bit cheaper and fulfil what i need to do.

Update: I spoke to a chap at Emirates, said was not possible but worth a shot in DXB before going to DEL. He said if they do not tag just to CPT then place bags in storage and come back ( my transfer time would most certainly allow this) and then recheck to Cape Town.

Thanks again
Storing bags certainly solve 1 problem. Check on the BP issuance as well. Will EK issue your inbound BPs from DXB.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:22 am

Storing bags certainly solve 1 problem. Check on the BP issuance as well. Will EK issue your inbound BPs from DXB.
I am sure this won't be a problem as i can download them on my phone prior, if a visa check prevents me from doing this then Emirates will most likely allow me to go ahead in the knowledge that i am going back immediately.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:44 pm

I am sure this won't be a problem as i can download them on my phone prior, if a visa check prevents me from doing this then Emirates will most likely allow me to go ahead in the knowledge that i am going back immediately.
Once again you can’t do a OLCI for an international flight out of India. The govt. doesn’t permit this. You won’t be able to generate a BP on your phone. Also, I think it is extremely unlikely that EK in DXB will be able to provide this for you.

Only place you can get a BP is the airport check in counter or transfer desk in BOM.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:09 pm

Once again you can’t do a OLCI for an international flight out of India. The govt. doesn’t permit this. You won’t be able to generate a BP on your phone. Also, I think it is extremely unlikely that EK in DXB will be able to provide this for you.

Only place you can get a BP is the airport check in counter or transfer desk in BOM.
Good to know, i think I'm actually going to go ahead and fly via IST instead. Just so much easier.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Hi, I am planning a complex itin and wonder if it is preferable to transfer INTL-INTL in BOM or DEL. I am not Indian and do not intend to enter the country (presumably will be able to check through luggage even though different tickets)

I will arrive from KUL on MH and connect to LHR on BA transit time of approximately 4 hours in either airport.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by toplayer
Hi, I am planning a complex itin and wonder if it is preferable to transfer INTL-INTL in BOM or DEL. I am not Indian and do not intend to enter the country (presumably will be able to check through luggage even though different tickets)

I will arrive from KUL on MH and connect to LHR on BA transit time of approximately 4 hours in either airport.

Many thanks in advance.
Are you planning on traveling on BA and connecting to LHR? In which case your bag will definitely not be checked through. BA does not interline. So make sure your bags will be checked through.

There isn’t much difference between the 2 airports quality wise for a 4 hour stop. Both are fairly decent. You might have to walk a little less in DEL but with a 4 hour halt it’s going to be insignificant.

Only difference is the lounge access. If you you’re in J or have status choose BOM. If you’re using PriorityPass choose DEL.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:09 pm

Good to know, i think I'm actually going to go ahead and fly via IST instead. Just so much easier.
Check with EY BOM airport office. They should be able to arrange for your BP at the transfer desk.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
[deleted]

Last edited by londonbus; Apr 20, 2018 at 4:13 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
It happened again !

Originally Posted by flyalways
When I arrived from LHR, there was mass chaos and confusion of passengers at the transit
desk. Lot of yelling, changing of lines etc. etc. It was hard for many older passengers to figure out what they should
be doing. I did not get any instructions about this process from AI staff in London so I was surprised to learn. I am sure
it was confusing for many inexperienced travelers since they were told by their family that they need to pick their bags
in Mumbai...Not a smooth experience, I must say !
This time it was SIN-BOM-GOI ! I was very specifically told by the AI agent in
SIN that I will pick my bags in BOM and re-check at AI after customs clearance.
I was about to buy Duty free alcohol in SIN but fortunately did not buy. As I
landed in BOM the transit desk people started yelling about GOI and AMD
flights. I was about to skip them but stopped and they told me that I will
clear immigration in GOI...
It is a clear communication gap between AI staff in remote stations and HQ.
I am sure it results in bunch of people having to forego their liquor bottles or
just getting confused about the process ! AI agent in BOM told me that there
are two flights to GOI and only one of them (mine) has this facility. This is
extremely confusing and I do not blame remote staff to be able to figure
this out. There is no need to do it to keep the process consistent for
all the flights and all the airlines. As a traveler it is better for me to know
that I have to clear Immigration and Customs at my first POE. Also easy
for remote staff to not differentiate passengers...
Silver lining was that there was absolutely no line for Immigration in GOI
this time and cleared the whole thing in under a minute...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:14 am

I think they do this to reduce the load at the 3-4 main PoE - BOM, DEL, BLR etc. So their intentions are good. Unfortunately, it just means chaos for everyone all around.

It makes so much more sense for everyone to clear customs and immigration at PoE.
flyalways likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:14 pm

Booked following flights:

Separate PNR/tickets on AC & SQ.

Outbound
YYZ-BOM (AC) arrive 21:30
BOM-SIN (SQ) departs 23:40 (same-day)
SQ on separate ticket. Clear customs and check-in bag again at departure counter? What if I had carryon only?

Return
SIN-BOM (SQ) arrives 21:50
BOM-YYZ (AC) departs 23:30
YYZ-LGA (AC) after I land in YYZ
In Singapore, can SQ agent issue BP and check-in bag to YYZ (not LGA, basically short check to YYZ)?
Is 1hr 40min enough for BOM int-int transit on 2 separate tickets?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Since AC and SQ are for both Star Alliance, you should push for through check-in.
On separate tickets they may say no but worth trying...
You will be safe with carry-on although return is very very tight. With bags I do not
see AC accepting it in BOM for your YYZ flight if you do not make it upstairs within
40 minutes of arrival. That is really cutting it too close..

Last edited by flyalways; Apr 28, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.