Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by suiz
Return international flight was booked earlier.

So you don't think 2hrs is enough time do transfer dom-intl in terminal 2?

We don't need to use lounge access or really sit to eat or anything. But yeah, don't want to do it if there is too much risk.

Cheers for the tips all.
as others have said, while 2 hours is doable, i would not try this unless i had 3 hours atleast....
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Flying into Mumbai around midnight, and my flight to AUH leaves at 5:15am. Traveling in business class. Do you know if I will be allowed through security so that I can head to the lounge? On my way in, the security guard in Delhi hemmed and hawed a bit before he let me through, and the stopover was for only 3 hrs. Thanks,
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Desirees
Flying into Mumbai around midnight, and my flight to AUH leaves at 5:15am. Traveling in business class. Do you know if I will be allowed through security so that I can head to the lounge? On my way in, the security guard in Delhi hemmed and hawed a bit before he let me through, and the stopover was for only 3 hrs. Thanks,
You won't be permitted through immigration and into the lounge until 1:15AM.

Unless the airline has an earlier flight, checkin desks won't open until 2:15AM, so hopefully your inbound airline can issue the onward boarding pass.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Typically, bags cannot be interlined for overnight layovers. I'd be very surprised if AI lets you do this.
Thank you. For a 6:55 AM flight, what's the earliest possible entry (and are they strict)? Anywhere to reasonably wait for a few hours just outside? I remember there is a large parking garage there but don't remember if there's anything inside (restaurants, cafes, etc).

If I can get into the airport around 2 AM or earlier, I'll skip on spending money on a hotel room.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by intltravel90
Thank you. For a 6:55 AM flight, what's the earliest possible entry (and are they strict)? Anywhere to reasonably wait for a few hours just outside? I remember there is a large parking garage there but don't remember if there's anything inside (restaurants, cafes, etc).

If I can get into the airport around 2 AM or earlier, I'll skip on spending money on a hotel room.
Strictly speaking, the rule is that you cannot enter before 2:55 AM. In practice, you may be able to pull it off. If I were you, I wouldn't risk it though - the hotels near Sahar Airport are not particularly expensive, and 5AM wakeup is not ridiculously early. You'll want to arrive at the terminal no later than 5:25 for a 6:55AM flight.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nhrav
T
So, now I'll have more time in BOM (3h10min) but how will my bags be treated? Would 9W courtesy check the bag through to my EY BOM-AUH-JFK ticket?
Yes 9W will check your bags thru.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
You won't be permitted through immigration and into the lounge until 1:15AM.

Unless the airline has an earlier flight, checkin desks won't open until 2:15AM, so hopefully your inbound airline can issue the onward boarding pass.
I hope so too...thank you so much for your reply.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: free agent
Greeting! I'm debating to change my award segment from AUH-CMB to AUH-BOM on EY (prefer A380 over A321). I will purchase separate ticket from BOM to either one, BKK or SIN. Let's say I'll buy separate ticket with Jet Airways, is it possible for Etihad to interline my baggage all the way to SIN or BKK?

Which Priority Pass lounge is best in T2? I'm OW emerald but doubt Jet will grant me an access to their lounge. Many thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:15 pm

Hi everyone! new member!
I am looking at booking a flight Mumbai to FRA that leaves at 2:45 AM on Jan 2.
I will be flying in from Goa. What is the minimum amount of time needed to switch from domestic to international terminals? I have the Option of 11:45 PM (night before) or 12:45 AM (same day)... I would assume 11:45 would leave me enough time (including delays out of Goa)?
2.5 - 3 hours should suffice?

thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:40 pm

Which terminal best for domestic connection?

Flying VNS-GOI with carryon bags only. The 2 quickest options are through BOM, one flight on Air India leaving at 130pm, which would connect in T2, the other on Indigo, departing 10am, T1. Both a little more than an hour layover.

It appears the airport is ~25km from town in Varanasi, so it'd be a semi-early morning if we took the indigo flight.

Air India is $50/ticket more. It looks like 8kg carry on plus laptop for AI, 7kg (including laptop) for Indigo.

Any suggestion as to which flights I should take? We'll be pushing the weight limit for our carryon.

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Take the Indigo, the same plane goes through to Goa, you don't need to disembark and re-board again.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by spacemanvt
Hi everyone! new member!
I am looking at booking a flight Mumbai to FRA that leaves at 2:45 AM on Jan 2.
I will be flying in from Goa. What is the minimum amount of time needed to switch from domestic to international terminals? I have the Option of 11:45 PM (night before) or 12:45 AM (same day)... I would assume 11:45 would leave me enough time (including delays out of Goa)?
2.5 - 3 hours should suffice?

thanks!
The G8 flight arriving at 12:45 is definitely too risky, since you need to switch from terminal 1B to terminal 2.

The AI flight arriving at 23:45 is probably ok, but still a bit risky (LH has no flat tire rule, so you're SOL if the AI flight gets delayed). AI arrives in Terminal 2, and is a Star Alliance partner with LH, so they may interline your bags and issue your LH boarding passes if you show your onward ticket.

The AI flight arriving at 19:55 is the one I would take if I were you as it gives you some buffer if you run into flight delays. If everything is running on time, have AI check your bags through and go have a nice dinner near the airport during the layover.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:19 am

Smile

Thank you for the response.
I decided to take 3 Jan 3:50 AM Qatar Airways Goa flight through Doha to FRA. 2 hr 20 min layover in Doha will be easier and faster than dealing with switching in India (I hope)
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by spacemanvt
Thank you for the response.
I decided to take 3 Jan 3:50 AM Qatar Airways Goa flight through Doha to FRA. 2 hr 20 min layover in Doha will be easier and faster than dealing with switching in India (I hope)
Less risky, no doubt. If your QR flight ex-GOI is delayed, they'll rebook you all the way to your final destination.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Anish
Take the Indigo, the same plane goes through to Goa, you don't need to disembark and re-board again.
Perfect!! Thanks so much!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.