Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread

Old May 19, 16, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: superboi
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread

Old Jan 10, 17, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Billy001 View Post
Flying to AMS with domestic segment from BOM to DEL and then international leg to AMS. Ticket with Delta however flights are jet airways from BOM to DEL and then KLM from DEL to AMS. Had couple of queries

1) At BOM where do I checkin? International terminal or domestic? If international do I need to come out for transfer to domestic?

2) At BOM assume I have to check in at Delta and not jet airways or KLM. (Assuming based on some of the above posts the baggage will be checked to final destination and I don't need to pick it at DEL and recheck in. It's consolidated booking with one Delta confirmation number)

3) where will immigration exit take places - BOM or DEL
Jet flies from T2 in BOM - you would check in here at the Jet counter. In Delhi you would arrive at T1 - just follow signs for Domestic to International Transfer (no need for terminal change). You would clear immigration here in Delhi - baggage should be thru checked to AMS.
Old Jan 10, 17, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
In Delhi you would arrive at T1
Jet Airways operates from T3 at Delhi, not T1.
Old Jan 10, 17, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Oops - thats what i meant sorry.
Old Jan 10, 17, 1:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
There are 3 levels of WCH:

Code:
 WCHR......PASSENGER CAN ASCEND/DESCEND STEPS AND MAKE OWN WAY TO/FROM RAMP     
  *RAMP*   CABIN/SEAT, BUT REQUIRES WHEELCHAIR TO COVER DISTANCE TO/FROM        
           AIRCRAFT POSITION AT BOARDING/TRANSIT/DESTINATION AIRPORT            

IMPORTANT NOTICE:                                                             
       SAME LEVEL ENTRY BOARDING AND DEBOARDING IS NOT AVAILABLE AT MANY        
       AIRPORTS. DUE TO NUMEROUS ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES AT AIRPORTS, GATE      
       ASSIGNMENTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED AND AIRCRAFT MAY   N O T   BE PARKED      
       DIRECTLY AT THE GATES AND BOARDING/DEBOARDING MAY BE VIA STAIRCASE.      

WCHS......PASSENGER CANNOT ASCEND/DESCEND STEPS BUT IS ABLE TO MAKE OWN        
  *STEPS*  WAY TO/FROM CABIN/SEAT BUT MUST BE CARRIED UP/DOWN/STEPS             

WCHC......PASSENGER IS COMPLETELY IMMOBILE.MUST BE CARRIED INTO THE            
  *CABIN*  AIRCRAFT CABIN AND TO/FROM/CABIN/SEAT WITHIN THE AIRCRAFT
I'm ashamed on the misuse of the WCHR facility on flights to/from India in general, especially if you see the supposed PRMs who rush to be out of the aircraft as soons as we land and then sit in the wheelchair in the jetway.
And here is another category -

MAAS
Passengers requiring guidance and or assistance to go through the procedures

This is from the Air China website, which is the airline I had booked the service with, for my parents/in-laws.

I completely agree, that misuse of the service simply to get through the lines quickly is shameful, but as I said earlier, it is meant for anyone needing assistance through the airport. Also, most likely they use a wheel chair even in this case so they can go faster rather than at the passenger's pace.
Btw, I have never seen a disabled person not getting a wheel chair, so it doesn't seem like there is a shortage of wheel chairs/personnel (if there was then I agree that PRMs should get preference).
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:12 am

Airport Emigration scenarios for DOM>INTL

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Jet flies from T2 in BOM - you would check in here at the Jet counter. In Delhi you would arrive at T1 - just follow signs for Domestic to International Transfer (no need for terminal change). You would clear immigration here in Delhi - baggage should be thru checked to AMS.
Thanks all for quick response.

Wish they did the emigration/passport control at BOM itself (like some other post responses indicated for other non-BOM cities - guess for those scenarios airline was AI), to reduce transit delays (Even though got ample 4 hrs 20mins, got an infant traveling with us. Maybe doing emigration at Delhi is better since don't need to come early at BOM, anyways can't reduce ~4 hr transit time at Delhi so can make use of it for emigration.)

Also Keeping fingers crossed on fog ~end of Jan.

What are the scenarios, for domestic-international travel, when they do passport control at first airport? My jet airway flight is 9W361, so not sure if it's grouped under international (like AI 0# ones) category.
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
Jet doesn't have any such system, it's exclusive to AI.
Old Jan 14, 17, 2:51 am

Thumbs down Abuse of WCH

Given that number of waiting wheelchairs outside an arriving flight to/from BOM/DEL far exceed what you will notice outside of other flights, it leads to following observation:

India must have a very high number of affluent handicapped air-travellers
OR
people with low integrity have discovered yet another system to abuse

The way so casually one FTer recommends to another "just book a wheel-chair" as if to order "VGML special meal" or expresses concern that it is so difficult to convince healthy parents to use Wheel-chair, leads one to believe that latter is more likely than former.

"It is not as if truely PRM dont get wheel-chairs" is blatant lie or wishful blindeye. At LHR, had to wait for loooong time when healthy (but parents of NRI/OCI category) persons were clearly abusing the system. These people have no problems walking long distances at BOM airport but suddenly become PRM for changing flights at LHR inconveniencing truely injured.

Guess shame is in short supply

Last edited by desi; Jan 14, 17 at 3:01 am
Old Jan 14, 17, 11:16 pm

Programs: Blas..
Originally Posted by Billy001 View Post
Thanks all for quick response.

My jet airway flight is 9W361, so not sure if it's grouped under international (like AI 0# ones) category.
Your immigration would be at BOM - 9W361 service is routine DOMESTIC service between DEL-BOM. Although your luggage would be checked through to AMS but you will have to go through INTER Terminal Transfer and enter International followed by Immigration there.

Only AI has International-International Connectors thereby allowing you the immigration at starting point but not 9W!
Old Jan 16, 17, 2:44 am
Suspended

hi everyone, can someone check my math please? I scheduled to get in on CX 663 @ 00:15 and connecting on a separate tix to CMB on 9W 256 @ 01:55. I will not have a visa so need to triple check I can do this without going through customs. These flights intl-intl? Also not checking any bags fwiw. Lastly is 1:40 mins doable?
Old Jan 16, 17, 6:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Hmm... that sounds too tight for me. Technically you need no visa as its a I/I connection, but due to separate tickets CX may want to see proof that you have a visa.
Old Jan 16, 17, 11:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by desi View Post
Given that number of waiting wheelchairs outside an arriving flight to/from BOM/DEL far exceed what you will notice outside of other flights, it leads to following observation:

India must have a very high number of affluent handicapped air-travellers
OR
people with low integrity have discovered yet another system to abuse

The way so casually one FTer recommends to another "just book a wheel-chair" as if to order "VGML special meal" or expresses concern that it is so difficult to convince healthy parents to use Wheel-chair, leads one to believe that latter is more likely than former.

"It is not as if truely PRM dont get wheel-chairs" is blatant lie or wishful blindeye. At LHR, had to wait for loooong time when healthy (but parents of NRI/OCI category) persons were clearly abusing the system. These people have no problems walking long distances at BOM airport but suddenly become PRM for changing flights at LHR inconveniencing truely injured.

Guess shame is in short supply
I have no interest in arguing over this topic, specially with someone who is more interested in making ignorant rants rather than listening to what others have to say. Anyway it is off-topic for this thread, so I'll just try to explain one last time.

The wheel chair service is practically used for anyone who needs assistance through the airport and doesn't necessarily have to be disabled. A "non-Indian" airline agent had told me about this when I had inquired about assistance for my in-laws. If you want you can also ask any of the wheel-chair handlers when you are at the airport next time.
If the abuse was really a problem and they wanted to restrict it to people with disabilities, it would be very easy to require a disability certificate or doctor's note, you know just like they do for other things. Eg., for waiving change fee in case of death or medical emergency.

So yes earlier I had suggested to use the wheel chair service for an aged lady who needed assistance during her transit, as she is one of the candidates for that service. And yes I had to convince my parents/in-laws to use it because they also thought it was meant exclusively for disabled people.

Btw, earlier I also used to think that this service was exclusively meant for disabled people, though I never looked down upon anyone for using it even if they did't have any obvious disability and were able to walk easily. I guess I'll attribute it to personal trait than blaming it on nationality, as some people do have this habit of looking down upon anyone who doesn't fit their preconceived notions.

Finally, I have to assume that one hasn't probably traveled much if they think that wheel chairs are used lot more in India than other countries. Or that in other countries they are used exclusively used by disabled people. Pretty much everywhere I have seen that the majority of people using this service seem to be able to walk without much problems.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Old Jan 17, 17, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by unicon View Post
I have to assume that one hasn't probably traveled much if they think that wheel chairs are used lot more in India than other countries.
Flights to/from India have a significantly higher percentage of wheelchair requests per capita than flights to pretty much any other region. That's just a fact (and airlines/airports study these things in great detail for resource planning and allocation). Whether this is indicative of abuse or just a different passenger demographic is up for debate.

One thing to note though is that the proportion of mobility assistance requests that originate with travel agency bookings versus direct channel bookings is also significantly higher. Indeed, any SSRs tend to originate at least double the rate from TA bookings (including SPMLs). This is a worldwide phenomenon though, not just India - but India tends to generate a much higher proportion of TA bookings than most Western markets.
Old Jan 17, 17, 2:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Hmm... that sounds too tight for me. Technically you need no visa as its a I/I connection, but due to separate tickets CX may want to see proof that you have a visa.

Thanks for the reply. I actually do have a visa but since its single entry and I want to go to CMB first I want to make sure its valid when I return to India a week later. I actually found UL has a 3am flight so will stick with that one. Is UL BOM-CMB Intl terminal?
Old Jan 17, 17, 2:54 am

Yes UL is the same terminal as CX.
Old Jan 21, 17, 2:55 am
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Flights to/from India have a significantly higher percentage of wheelchair requests per capita than flights to pretty much any other region. That's just a fact (and airlines/airports study these things in great detail for resource planning and allocation). Whether this is indicative of abuse or just a different passenger demographic is up for debate.
I am flying to the US this week. Four days before departure, I got an SMS from AI telling me that wheelchair requests must be confirmed at least 48 h before departure.

I've never requested one and I've never seen this SMS for previous trips, so it seems that AI is pushing back on wheelchair requests.

Search this Thread