Search

US Visa related question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:57 pm
Used to be ' simz '
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
US Visa related question

This is not strictly India based airlines related question, but someone might be able to help..

My wife travelled to US earlier this year with me with a visa stamped on her passport.. when she returned back to India a few weeks ago, her passport got damaged.. her visa is absolutely fine, but the front page of her passport was damaged.. so she got a new passport made immediately.. now she is travelling back to US next week.. wanted to know, if she needs to get her Visa transferred or a new visa on her new passport, or the visa on her old passport will work just fine. Her Visa is still valid, but her old passport has been stamped "cancelled",in lieu of the new passport..

Thanks..
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by simz
This is not strictly India based airlines related question, but someone might be able to help..

My wife travelled to US earlier this year with me with a visa stamped on her passport.. when she returned back to India a few weeks ago, her passport got damaged.. her visa is absolutely fine, but the front page of her passport was damaged.. so she got a new passport made immediately.. now she is travelling back to US next week.. wanted to know, if she needs to get her Visa transferred or a new visa on her new passport, or the visa on her old passport will work just fine. Her Visa is still valid, but her old passport has been stamped "cancelled",in lieu of the new passport..

Thanks..
Damaged passport cancelled with a valid visa? Given the airline reps could make an issue of it, it may make sense to consider getting the visa reissued/transferred at the US Embassy or consulates in India.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:08 pm

US visas on expired/canceled passports are still valid in conjunction with a separate valid passport. (You can look this up on official web sites; you don't need to solicit opinions.)

I am not sure whether it matters that the original passport is damaged.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
US visas on expired/canceled passports are still valid in conjunction with a separate valid passport. (You can look this up on official web sites; you don't need to solicit opinions.)

I am not sure whether it matters that the original passport is damaged.
The damage may make a difference, more likely with the airlines than any problem with US CBP.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I would call the consulate to be safe.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:35 pm

If the damage to the passport in which the visa is affixed consists of any of the following, you may have an issue.

a) Binding coming apart
b) Damage to >20% of security laminate.
c) Identifying features obscured (eg. name no longer readable, photo smudged/cut, etc..)

In most other cases, your visa would still be acceptable. However, this is a subjective assessment and the evaluation of validity would be made on a case-by-case basis. It would be safest if you applied for a transfer of the visa to the new passport.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:00 pm
Used to be ' simz '
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
From what I could gather from various sources, and US consulate website, it seems with a valid visa and a new passport she would be fine..

My bigger headache is, she also go her name changed in the new passport (we just got married).. so now her old passport, her old visa and her ticket contains her maiden name and her new passport contains her married surname.. I got a bad feeling about this
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just apply for the old visa to be transferred to the new passport.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just apply for the old visa to be transferred to the new passport.
i agree....there shouldn't be a problem if the old passport is attached to the new one but don't take a chance....just get it transferred....
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:10 pm

I travel frequently to the US with the visa in my previous passport. Never faced any issues but then the passport isn't damaged.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:20 pm

A non-damaged visa in a damaged passport is generally still valid with a new passport. There is no "transfer" of a US visa to a new passport. If she wants it in a new passport, she will have to apply again and go through the same process as if she was renewing it. The name on the visa should match the name in the passport. If her name changed, she should get a new visa with the new name. She should qualify for the interview waiver program. If they want to talk with her, they will call her in.

Last edited by Darren; Dec 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:00 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Darren
A non-damaged visa in a damaged passport is generally still valid with a new passport. There is no "transfer" of a US visa to a new passport. If she wants it in a new passport, she will have to apply again and go through the same process as if she was renewing it. The name on the visa should match the name in the passport. If her name changed, she should get a new visa with the new name. She should qualify for the interview waiver program. If they want to talk with her, they will call her in.
This. 100% this. ^
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: all
call the embassy or the consulate just to be sure. don't take a chance
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: CX MPO GD (OW SAPPHIRE) / QR SL
A year after I got married (2003), I got a new passport (2004) with my new name. My valid US Visa (2002-2012) ,which is still under my maiden name, was in my old passport (under my maiden name too). During US travels between 2004-2012, I just carry my old passport (it has holes and lots of staple marks) that has the valid US Visa together with the valid passport. I did not encounter any trouble with US Immigration. I did however, carried a copy of my marriage certificate in case they ask. But they never did.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: CX MPO GD (OW SAPPHIRE) / QR SL
She should qualify for the interview waiver program. If they want to talk with her, they will call her in.
And as what I know, the Interview Waiver Program is not offered to India Passport holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.