Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

ID required for pax to enter Delhi terminals?

Old Aug 15, 11, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL

I am flying to India soon and once there would like to fly a short domestic flight from DEL with a relative. Problem is that like many housewives in India, she does not have an official photo ID. Of course I'll have a printed itinerary for both of us and my own ID.

So a question for India/DEL experts: In practice, are they likely to wave us through, or will it become a problem? (The airline is likely to be Indigo, but we can switch if that would help.)

The flight is still about a month away. If we tried to obtain some ID in time, which one would be easiest/quickest?
Old Aug 15, 11, 5:27 pm

you do require ID to access airports in India - each pax's ID is checked n i hv never seen anyone being waived through

i was at the IT ticket window @ BOM (i didnt have my itinerary & the security dude refused to accept the itinerary on my BB screen ), anyway this pax comes to the IT window saying he didnt have an ID - the lady stamped and initialed his itinerary (no idea on what basis) and i guess that was sufficient

not sure if the stamping thing is official and works everywhere

quickest new ID - get a temporary / learner's driver's license (IIRC it has a photo) - your neighborhood driving school should be able to organise one for your within a week for a small cost
Old Aug 15, 11, 6:24 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, 9WPlat, PCGold, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattExplorist, EYGold, AI
A pan card in two weeks?
Old Aug 15, 11, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

How to arrange the golf-cart transportation to the gate?

Thanks manuc and A2A, greatly appreciated. I'll try to inspire people at the Indian end to figure some ID for her during the next one month. Otherwise I too will go to the window and give the "initial & stamp trick" a try.

Another question. From what I understand, this person is also in poor health. Where do you organize one of those golf carts to ferry people to the gate? I have never had to deal with such issues. Do I order from the airline, is it done in advance, or just look around at the airport when we get there?
Old Aug 15, 11, 6:59 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
I am flying to India soon and once there would like to fly a short domestic flight from DEL with a relative. Problem is that like many housewives in India, she does not have an official photo ID. Of course I'll have a printed itinerary for both of us and my own ID.

So a question for India/DEL experts: In practice, are they likely to wave us through, or will it become a problem? (The airline is likely to be Indigo, but we can switch if that would help.)

The flight is still about a month away. If we tried to obtain some ID in time, which one would be easiest/quickest?
I recommend a PAN card. your relative does not vote? if not, her local district magistrate/Collector/Deputy commissioner can issue a photo ID with letter.
Old Aug 15, 11, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Hey, as far as I have seen with families traveling - all that's needed is for one pax to have a photo ID which the security guy at the gate matches with a name on the ticket, then counts the # of people with you to match it with the # of people on the ticket.

Its only to ensure that people don't sneak in just to gawk around, see off their relatives, hang around in an aircon "mall" (at least for the newer airports) etc.
Old Aug 15, 11, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; EK Blue; IHG Plat; SPG Gold; HH Gold; Taj Blue
My experience differs from the previous poster. At every airport I've flown out of, and esp at DEL & BOM in recent years, they check IDs and tix. I wouldn't take a chance.
Old Aug 15, 11, 9:03 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by irfan23 View Post
My experience differs from the previous poster. At every airport I've flown out of, and esp at DEL & BOM in recent years, they check IDs and tix. I wouldn't take a chance.
+1. There is a grade II red alert now and especially AP TN Kerala please don't take chances
Old Aug 15, 11, 9:05 pm

Thanks manuc and A2A, greatly appreciated. I'll try to inspire people at the Indian end to figure some ID for her during the next one month. Otherwise I too will go to the window and give the "initial & stamp trick" a try.

Another question. From what I understand, this person is also in poor health. Where do you organize one of those golf carts to ferry people to the gate? I have never had to deal with such issues. Do I order from the airline, is it done in advance, or just look around at the airport when we get there?
Pax assistance can be requested online at time of booking As with all airlines such kicks on from checkin Golf carts OR wheelchair
Old Aug 15, 11, 11:53 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, 9WPlat, PCGold, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattExplorist, EYGold, AI

Indigo specific since u r flying with them. Call them and request wheelchair assist for the pax in advance. Upto four pax per flight is their limit, tho not likely to run out. They will confirm and also send a email IIRC. At airport a liability waiver form needs to be signed and u r a go. Indigo handles this well, I personally had to get this done because my mom had to use a wheelchair earlier this yr.
Old Aug 16, 11, 12:01 am

My experience mirrors hserus's at MAA. Before you enter the terminal, the guard checks one id and counts passengers. No id was asked at the counter or security. I assume BOM and DEL are different.
Old Aug 16, 11, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
your relative will definitely need an id to enter the airport....the quickest ways i can think of getting an id are:

driving license - if your relative knows how to drive then she can get a temporary learners license in about a week from the day she applies for her test....

pan card - this normally takes 15 working days so if she applies for it now then she will get it in time for your travel....

passport - she can get her passport made under the tatkal scheme & she would get it in about 7 working days....

bank account - a lot of banks are willing to put a picture of you on your credit/debit card....if she opens up an account with someone like citi, kotak or icici then she will have her debit card in hand in about 5-7 working days....
Old Aug 16, 11, 7:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
http://book.goindigo.in/skylights/cg...le=C3&page=FAQ

Code:
2. What is required to enter the airport terminal and check-in at the counter?
Travel within India: To enter the airport terminal and check-in at the IndiGo Counter, each Customer must provide a print-out of their itinerary along with a valid photo identity

Important Information: In addition to valid photo identification customers may be required to present the credit\debit card or a photo copy of card used to pay for their booking, at check-in.

The following are considered to be valid photo identification documents:

Valid Passport
    Valid Driving License
    Election Photo Identification Card
    PAN card issued by the Income Tax department.
    Photo identity card issued by the employer, being government and reputed private sector organizations.
    Children traveling on IndiGo should carry their school identification cards or any other photo identification proof along with them.
    Valid birth certificates of infants need to be produced at the time of check-in for age proof.

Customers who cannot provide sufficient identification will be denied boarding.

For all sectors originating or terminating outside India, except to and from Nepal, the passport will be the only form of identification allowed. All Customers, including children and Infants, must present a valid passport and visa (if applicable) at check-in. It is passengers responsibility to ensure appropriate travel documents are arranged and produced whenever required.
Since GoI doesn't require compulsory ID you can get a away with some form of ID with a picture. Worst case you have to get a stamp from the airline that its OK to travel without ID. I'm pretty sure she has a election ID? Its been 17 years since they started to issue those...
Old Aug 16, 11, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
From my experience, IDs are required for atleast one passenger in the group. Now Govt of India is issuing Aadhar card (National ID). This replaces voter ID and other types of ID.
Old Aug 16, 11, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I have heard from a person about his family's recent experience in DEL itself: the entire family was permitted based on just one person's ID. So that's promising. If nothing else I'll try that.

In the meantime, although she doesn't drive, I'll try to motivate her family to get one of these other cards, or the "stamp" mentioned below:

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post

pan card - this normally takes 15 working days so if she applies for it now then she will get it in time for your travel....

passport - she can get her passport made under the tatkal scheme & she would get it in about 7 working days....

bank account - a lot of banks are willing to put a picture of you on your credit/debit card....if she opens up an account with someone like citi, kotak or icici then she will have her debit card in hand in about 5-7 working days....
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Since GoI doesn't require compulsory ID you can get a away with some form of ID with a picture. Worst case you have to get a stamp from the airline that its OK to travel without ID...

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 16, 11 at 10:12 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: