Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Immigration officers asking for proof of hotel booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:51 am
Original Poster

I've recently heard reports of some U.S. citizens I know being asked for proof of hotel booking with a confirmation number when arriving on tourist visas at Chennai airport.

Before anyone says it, I know Indians have to put up with this sort of thing when they travel abroad, etc. However, it strikes me as a rather odd request in light of the fact that this is not explicitly mentioned as an entry requirement anywhere, it is not a field on the entry card and many smaller Indian hotels (especially those catering to budget travelers) are hardly organized enough to fiddle with formalities like "confirmation numbers." I'm not sure what happens if you staying with friends or family.

Anyway, they were given a rather hard time about this and directed to the immigration office to place a phone call to the hotel to obtain a "confirmation number" from them. Was this someone having a bad day, a shakedown attempt, business as usual or perhaps all three? I've certainly never heard of anything like this happening in Southeast Asia (to Americans, at least) and never encountered it myself in India.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
I dare say the officer'd run into people either on a mileage run, or working on a tourist visa and taking short trips to SIN / BKK and returning ..
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hserus
I dare say the officer'd run into people either on a mileage run, or working on a tourist visa and taking short trips to SIN / BKK and returning ..
this would be my guess as well....also, with 15th august around the corner, i wouldn't be surprised if the officers are being told to be more careful than they normally are....

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 21, 2011 at 6:42 am
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Lost count
They are asking this information to identify / find visa abuse.

One of my friend traveling to India (Mumbai) on tourist visa was grilled by immigration officer when he told that he is staying at Hilton. Immigration officer said "How can you stay in Hilton while on your own....". Later he warned him to use right visa next time and let him go. He was in fact on business trip traveling on tourist visa.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:34 pm

And why can't you stay in a hilton when you're on holiday, even at the rather inflated rates the hiltons at BOM provide? Where did the officer want your friend to stay, on a sheet of cardboard on the pavements?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Evita_FT
They are asking this information to identify / find visa abuse.

One of my friend traveling to India (Mumbai) on tourist visa was grilled by immigration officer when he told that he is staying at Hilton. Immigration officer said "How can you stay in Hilton while on your own....". Later he warned him to use right visa next time and let him go. He was in fact on business trip traveling on tourist visa.
this makes no sense whatsoever....why can't your friend stay at the hilton????what difference does it make if he is on a personal or business visit????
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
this makes no sense whatsoever....why can't your friend stay at the hilton????what difference does it make if he is on a personal or business visit????
Maybe he's working on the principle that the hilton, starwood etc properties in mumbai are $300 or more a night and "desis" aren't likely to spend their own money (rather than a corporate expense account) to stay at a place like that, and would hunt for a cheaper hotel. He might even be right, for most people.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:19 am

yeah - trying for a random date in september the Hilton Mumbai International Airport is INR 10K ++ .. that'd be like $222 ++.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.