Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Q for the experts: 2 days in Calcutta or New Dehli (must choose)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

Greetings, folks. On the return to the USA from Bhutan next year, I have a very early morning flight from DEL. I could spend the previous two days in Dehli, or I could fly to Calcutta, spend the two days there, and catch a late evening flight to DEL in time for my connection.

I've never been to India, though I've spent quite a lot of time in Indian restaurants. Which city do you think is more interesting from a visitor's perspective? I'm okay with major tourist sites, but I favor getting a flavor for what local culture is like.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
CCU can be done in a day, DEL has far more things to see/do.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: Gold SPG and Marriott, Silver United Milage Plus
2 days in calcutta or New Delhi

It depends on what you want to see-Delhi/agra there are many historic places that are easily accessible-all the relics of the Mughal Empire, the iconic Taj Mahal a day trip away-to mention a few. Calcutta is a city that people have to know about and have an open mind about the history of Calcutta and her decline in recent past. Calcutta has often been called the "cultural capital of India"-spend a day there and take a trip to Rabindra Nath Tagore's Visva harati University in Santiniketan.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:21 am

Simply between the two cities, Calcutta is far more compact and in two days you can comfortably get a feel of the place. As well, not so much for the sights but for the urban experience, I think Calcutta wins hand down. It's a place you can walk, while a walk in Delhi/New Delhi always gets tiring after a half-hour or so.

Of course Delhi wins hands down for grand historical sights, but you simply don't have the time to do them justice. Best to wait till your next trip when you do.

You don't mention when you're going, but I wouldn't suggest either city in the heat or rains.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
Greetings, folks. On the return to the USA from Bhutan next year, I have a very early morning flight from DEL. I could spend the previous two days in Dehli, or I could fly to Calcutta, spend the two days there, and catch a late evening flight to DEL in time for my connection.

I've never been to India, though I've spent quite a lot of time in Indian restaurants. Which city do you think is more interesting from a visitor's perspective? I'm okay with major tourist sites, but I favor getting a flavor for what local culture is like.

Thanks for any ideas.
2 days in Delhi is what I would recommend. With a hired car, you can hit up a good variety of historical sites in Delhi in 48 hours without too much issue.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by 889
Simply between the two cities, Calcutta is far more compact and in two days you can comfortably get a feel of the place. As well, not so much for the sights but for the urban experience, I think Calcutta wins hand down. It's a place you can walk, while a walk in Delhi/New Delhi always gets tiring after a half-hour or so.

Of course Delhi wins hands down for grand historical sights, but you simply don't have the time to do them justice. Best to wait till your next trip when you do.

You don't mention when you're going, but I wouldn't suggest either city in the heat or rains.
I lived in Calcutta for many years, and even though it is more compact than Delhi, I think it takes a longer trip to really soak in the experience. It's not a place to go to for just sightseeing. Also, having taken many friends through Delhi for a couple of days, I would say that you should do Delhi for the 2 days. The immediate impact will be more memorable, because you can probably see 6-7 of the big sights easily: Qutab Minar, Red Fort, Humayun's Tomb, Lotus Temple, Parliament, Rashtrapati Bhavan etc.

Calcutta is for those who want the human experience of India. Delhi is better for a dip just to see the sights.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas, folks. I'll wait to see the flight schedule from Paro before deciding. Looks like there is a good case for both cities.

BTW, this is for March, so I'm guessing the weather should be okay.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by dhuey
Thank you for the ideas, folks. I'll wait to see the flight schedule from Paro before deciding. Looks like there is a good case for both cities.

BTW, this is for March, so I'm guessing the weather should be okay.
the weather would be decent in march in delhi....that would be my pick between the two....
Old May 13, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Shounak
I lived in Calcutta for many years, and even though it is more compact than Delhi, I think it takes a longer trip to really soak in the experience. It's not a place to go to for just sightseeing. Also, having taken many friends through Delhi for a couple of days, I would say that you should do Delhi for the 2 days. The immediate impact will be more memorable, because you can probably see 6-7 of the big sights easily: Qutab Minar, Red Fort, Humayun's Tomb, Lotus Temple, Parliament, Rashtrapati Bhavan etc.

Calcutta is for those who want the human experience of India. Delhi is better for a dip just to see the sights.
Going to Old Delhi has always been enough for me to get a dose of what "the real India" can mean.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:36 am

Wow. Thought this should be a no brainier given OP's first visit to India.
Will it be too unreasonable to suggest to hire a car with driver and guide from a reputable referred source and do Taj one day and highlights of Delhi that can be fit into half to 3/4 day?

(Thats what most NRI friends do when they take family to India and carve out 2 days for Delhi/Agra sightseeing)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by desi
Wow. Thought this should be a no brainier given OP's first visit to India.
Will it be too unreasonable to suggest to hire a car with driver and guide from a reputable referred source and do Taj one day and highlights of Delhi that can be fit into half to 3/4 day?

(Thats what most NRI friends do when they take family to India and carve out 2 days for Delhi/Agra sightseeing)
Thanks for the suggestion, desi. Do you have any recommendations for the driver/guide?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I did a few days in Delhi then 2 in Calcutta then flew to Bhutan.

id do Delhi over Calcutta, lot more to see though the Calcutta street food is very good. Believe me you’re going to want some food variety after bhutan.

by the way how long are you in Bhutan, unless you’re REALLY into temples, you don’t really need more then about 4/5 days there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.