transit @ DEL w/out visa - possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transit @ DEL w/out visa - possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Question transit @ DEL w/out visa - possible?

i have to pass through (or would prefer, as the flights are about a fifth through delhi rather than direct or any other route) DEL but do not have the time to get a visa at our local immigration office as they say it will take five working days to process, however i will already leave in three days. i understand that so far there are only nine countries that are currently offered a visa on arrival with twelve more being added soon - me holding the nationality of one of these prospects, will i have any chance or is it possible to just transfer without passing immigration?

Last edited by nvoi; Jan 17, 2011 at 8:51 am Reason: wrong number of countries mentioned
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Where are you flying to from DEL? What airlines involved?

TWOV is generally possible at DEL.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:48 am
Original Poster

i fly from BKK (CX) to KTM (9W) - wow, what a quick reply!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:23 am
Original Poster

well, the embassy in HKG made it quite clear that there is no ways to proceed through DEL TWOV, so i guess i'll have to avoid indian grounds...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by nvoi
well, the embassy in HKG made it quite clear that there is no ways to proceed through DEL TWOV, so i guess i'll have to avoid indian grounds...
if u remain in the intl transit area and ur KTM flt departs within 24hrs then I see no reason why u cannot transit.. though u may have to ensure ur checked in baggage is tagged till KTM and follow that up with Jet personnel in transit area..
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
CX to intl 9W in DEL is no problem, no visa needed. If your luggage is only checked to DEL by CX you can ask 9W to locate it and recheck it for you.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:04 am
Original Poster

well - i thought so, too, especially since the flights depart from the same terminal but from what the staff at the embassy said, it seems that i will have to go through immigration before i can transit - CX confirmed that they would check my luggage without any issues through to KTM. i think i will just take the risk, if all else fails, i will fly to bkk or dxb/auh and connect there. thanks for your opinions!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
well - i thought so, too, especially since the flights depart from the same terminal but from what the staff at the embassy said, it seems that i will have to go through immigration before i can transit - CX confirmed that they would check my luggage without any issues through to KTM. i think i will just take the risk, if all else fails, i will fly to bkk or dxb/auh and connect there. thanks for your opinions!
you do not have to go through immigration during transit....i know a bunch of people who have done this....
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

just returning from my trip, i have to say that the transit was smooth in terms of having no issues due to TWOV - otherwise, plan ahead sufficient time to transit as it's painfully slow at peak times.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
just returning from my trip, i have to say that the transit was smooth in terms of having no issues due to TWOV - otherwise, plan ahead sufficient time to transit as it's painfully slow at peak times.
good to know u didnt face any problems
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I have a 1 hour international connection in DEL (all with Jet Airways) - what are the chances that both I and my luggage make it?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
1 hour international connection anywhere except a major hub? Tough.

Might as well carry everything you can onboard so you dont get stuck with a stinking tshirt and jeans for most of your first day.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by hserus
1 hour international connection anywhere except a major hub? Tough.

Might as well carry everything you can onboard so you dont get stuck with a stinking tshirt and jeans for most of your first day.
Never mind the first day - we have a 2 month long trip (including a cruise) to follow.
Really cannot afford to lose the luggage. Though we will be in DAC for a couple of days - the luggage may catch up with us if it doesn't make the connection.
I think it's probably too much of a risk.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Paulchili
I think it's probably too much of a risk.
i agree....1 hour is definitely not enough time....
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by saad
i agree....1 hour is definitely not enough time....
Is my arrival from CMB to DEL likely to be a jetway disembarkation or a bus transfer on arrival?
That could make a big difference as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.