Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Street food in Delhi

Street food in Delhi

Old Apr 17, 11, 7:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raj0321 View Post
I guess I lucked out during a 9-day stay in Delhi in January without any ailments. I stayed with relatives and mostly ate home-cooked food. When we ate out, it was places that my relatives were familiar with, such as the Bengali Sweets House in Bengali Market, Kamal's in Sundar Nagar, a smaller non-veg place in New Friend's Colony, etc.

I did get a lot of sweets and chai from street vendors and small snack shops in Bhogal, Janpath, New Friend's Colony, Chandni Chowk, etc. and they were all delicious -- and best of all, without any "side-effects."
It's the complacency that gets you and the mindset that a bit of glitter and higher price makes the food better than its street cousin. Bengali Market food is not always safe. That's where my son got sick.
Old Apr 17, 11, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
It's the complacency that gets you and the mindset that a bit of glitter and higher price makes the food better than its street cousin. Bengali Market food is not always safe. That's where my son got sick.
I agree -- you never know where you can pick something up. The chaiwalas seems to have the filthiest stands, yet their product is probably the safest.

Where did your son get sick in Bengali Market? My cousin is good friends with the owner of the Bengali Sweets House, and we had dinner and dessert there one night; 3 of us were visiting from the States, and none of us got sick.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: