FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Transfer of visa with new passport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1199926-transfer-visa-new-passport.html)

coterie Mar 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Transfer of visa with new passport?

Hi,
I just received a new passport and the passport number has changed.

I was planning on traveling to Bangalore, India carrying the new passport along with the old passport that has the Indian entry visa (business). Will I be OK or would it be better to transfer the visa to the new passport?

Everything in the old and new passport are the same, except my face (older) and the passport number.

Thanks

Mark_mnl Mar 29, 2011 11:51 pm

Since you appear to be in SF (my former home), India's official visa outsourcing firm for its SF Consulate provides information directly on point.

Visa transfer is recommended but not required by Indian immigration authorities. The only requirement is that the names on the old passport and visa must match exactly with the new passport. It seems that passport numbers almost always change when you renew so visa transfer would appear to be optional (but recommended) for you.

coterie Mar 30, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks very much for the response. I am not sure why Travisa recommends this when it seems that it is OK to carry the visa in the old passport with the new passport. I had no issues with other countries and I hear that only Chile is the exception.
So far there does not seems to be any reason to transfer the visa.

Thanks again.

Keyser Mar 31, 2011 6:04 am

no need to transfer the visa....just carry the old passport....

Yaatri Apr 1, 2011 8:53 am

One downside of not transferring the visa is that you carry your old pass port, and that gives some CBP goons an opportunity to leaf through another passport and be even more imaginative.

abhilife2001 Apr 5, 2011 4:48 am

Originally Posted by coterie (Post 16128420)
Thanks very much for the response. I am not sure why Travisa recommends this when it seems that it is OK to carry the visa in the old passport with the new passport. I had no issues with other countries and I hear that only Chile is the exception. So far there does not seems to be any reason to transfer the visa.

Thanks again.

I had a Singapore visa on my passport and it clearly said to transfer the visa to a new passport before travel..
But I learn that Singapore now gives e-visa which is not stamped on the passport so am not aware of how this works now..

Keyser Apr 5, 2011 5:05 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 16162649)
I had a Singapore visa on my passport and it clearly said to transfer the visa to a new passport before travel..
But I learn that Singapore now gives e-visa which is not stamped on the passport so am not aware of how this works now..

that's always been the case with the singapore visa but till date i have never got it transferred....never had a problem either....

abhilife2001 Apr 5, 2011 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16162705)
that's always been the case with the singapore visa but till date i have never got it transferred....never had a problem either....

so u travel with new passport and old passport together with visa on old passport even for Singapore where its specifically advised to transfer it to new passport ?
hmmm..

Keyser Apr 5, 2011 5:58 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 16162792)
so u travel with new passport and old passport together with visa on old passport even for Singapore where its specifically advised to transfer it to new passport ?
hmmm..

currently i have 4 passport booklets with valid visas so i'm forced to carry all of them....i have got 2 additional booklets since i got my latest singapore visa....have been to singapore about a dozen times since then....never had a problem....

A2A Apr 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16162855)
currently i have 4 passport booklets with valid visas so i'm forced to carry all of them....i have got 2 additional booklets since i got my latest singapore visa....have been to singapore about a dozen times since then....never had a problem....

whats the rule for a schengen? will they transfer a multiple year multi entry schengen to another passport or is it ok by EU countries to carry in old passport?

Keyser Apr 27, 2011 3:50 am

Originally Posted by A2A (Post 16283977)
whats the rule for a schengen? will they transfer a multiple year multi entry schengen to another passport or is it ok by EU countries to carry in old passport?

have made a couple of trips to brussels since i've got my new passport booklet....they had no problems with the visa being on the old passport....

Koyal Nov 5, 2018 10:23 am

Hi, I have not transferred my singapore visa with my new passport , can I travel ?

Hi, I didn't know that we have to transfer our visa with the passport . I have not done it for singapore n I am travelling tomorrow as my flights are all booked .. will it be a problem if I travel to Singapore with my previous cancelled passport attached having a valid visa till 2020 along with my new passport?
Pls help n revert .. any leads will be helpful.

thanks in advance

Keyser Nov 5, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Koyal (Post 30395767)
Hi, I didn't know that we have to transfer our visa with the passport . I have not done it for singapore n I am travelling tomorrow as my flights are all booked .. will it be a problem if I travel to Singapore with my previous cancelled passport attached having a valid visa till 2020 along with my new passport?
Pls help n revert .. any leads will be helpful.

thanks in advance

you won't have a problem....no need to get the visa transferred to the new passport....

jblueflyer Nov 8, 2018 10:18 am

I can confirm this should fine as long as the names and other details match.