Delhi Hotels: Should I Bother Moving?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delhi Hotels: Should I Bother Moving?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

I'll be visiting Delhi in a couple of weeks on a pleasure trip.

I'm traveling with a female friend (I'm male) and was planning on staying with her family but plans changed and the branch of the family tree she's now staying with isn't into co-ed living (we're not "involved", much less married). She will be staying in Surajmal Vihar.

The show must go on so I dutifully struck out in search of a roof. Ouch! My usual suspects (SPG. Hyatt) were very pricey, not at all what I wanted to spend for a short stay.

I punched DEL into Hotwire for fun and it offered a 5-star for $100 for my first night of three in town (11 PM flight arrival). I bit. It came back with the Crowne Plaza Ohkla.

Now I don't think of a CP as 5* but maybe its a really nice one. I can hope. After all, its only one (short) night.

The next two days I can remain there or move to the Radisson Marina near Connaught Place for about 6000 INR a night at either place.

The reason I have zeroed in on the Radisson is that, along with Priority Club, Club Carlson has some lucrative promos going...

Seeing as the portion of the city east of the river appears to be light on hotels (as far as I can see), any thoughts over moving to Radisson from the perspective of crossing to SV and in terms of tourism convenience? I will need to entertain myself a bit as there will be other times during my stay where events will be female-only...

Also, how long / expensive will a taxi ride be to the CP from DEL around midnight?

Thanks from an India rookie...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by YYZC2
The show must go on so I dutifully struck out in search of a roof. Ouch! My usual suspects (SPG. Hyatt) were very pricey, not at all what I wanted to spend for a short stay.
have you looked at hilton????they tend to have better rates than spg & hyatt in delhi....

I punched DEL into Hotwire for fun and it offered a 5-star for $100 for my first night of three in town (11 PM flight arrival). I bit. It came back with the Crowne Plaza Ohkla.

Now I don't think of a CP as 5* but maybe its a really nice one. I can hope. After all, its only one (short) night.
all cp properties in india a 5*....

The next two days I can remain there or move to the Radisson Marina near Connaught Place for about 6000 INR a night at either place.
the cp in okhla is a better property but the radisson is in a much better area from a tourist point of view....

Seeing as the portion of the city east of the river appears to be light on hotels (as far as I can see), any thoughts over moving to Radisson from the perspective of crossing to SV and in terms of tourism convenience? I will need to entertain myself a bit as there will be other times during my stay where events will be female-only...
like i said before, the radisson is in a more touristy area....

Also, how long / expensive will a taxi ride be to the CP from DEL around midnight?
should be around $10-$15....
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! ^ ^
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! ^ ^
no problem....if you are not looking at any particular brand then i can also suggest some independent & boutique hotels for under $100 a night....
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:15 pm

I'll be visiting Delhi in a couple of weeks on a pleasure trip.

I'm traveling with a female friend (I'm male) and was planning on staying with her family but plans changed and the branch of the family tree she's now staying with isn't into co-ed living (we're not "involved", much less married). She will be staying in Surajmal Vihar.

The reason I have zeroed in on the Radisson is that, along with Priority Club, Club Carlson has some lucrative promos going...

Thanks from an India rookie...

not sure if you already made your bookings, but have you considered the Doubletree in Mayur Vihar? I saw rates ~110-150. and its only 10km from Surajmal Vihar, about 15 mins. And you can get onto the DND expressway into south Delhi relatively easily...

ialto
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IaLTO
not sure if you already made your bookings, but have you considered the Doubletree in Mayur Vihar? I saw rates ~110-150. and its only 10km from Surajmal Vihar, about 15 mins. And you can get onto the DND expressway into south Delhi relatively easily...

ialto
the property itself is nice but i have had a bad experience here....they double charged me & then took an eternity to refund the money....

also, it will take a lot longer than 15 minutes to cover this distance....
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
the property itself is nice but i have had a bad experience here....they double charged me & then took an eternity to refund the money....

also, it will take a lot longer than 15 minutes to cover this distance....
Yes, because the traffic jams on the expressway are legendary. There's a metro fairly close to that area I think, which should help get to south delhi pretty fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.