Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

How do we get to Taj Mahal from Delhi without driving far?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do we get to Taj Mahal from Delhi without driving far?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question How do we get to Taj Mahal from Delhi without driving far?

Wife and I would like to see the Taj Mahal in our retirement years. My maps shows it near a city in India called Agra. However, when I check the airline guides, I only find two flights into and out of Agra. In light of this limited air service, how we can we get to the Taj without having to drive long distances? Isn't there a major airport closer to this world renowned location?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA 1MM
In general, driving from Delhi (or rather being driven in a nice car) is the most efficient way of doing this. However, there are several trains. If cost is no object, you can also take a helicopter :-)

Originally Posted by maltasr
Wife and I would like to see the Taj Mahal in our retirement years. My maps shows it near a city in India called Agra. However, when I check the airline guides, I only find two flights into and out of Agra. In light of this limited air service, how we can we get to the Taj without having to drive long distances? Isn't there a major airport closer to this world renowned location?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
IMOH I think train is easiest and most comfortable Delhi->Agra. There are some express trains depending on time of day. First class is fine. Just google it for more info.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:52 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
The Taj Express runs between Delhi and Agra. It leaves very early in the morning, and makes the trip to Agra in about 2 hours these days. Similarly, it returns from Agra to Delhi around 10PM. It is a great train that has been running for over 40+ years for tourists.

Day trips are possible, since you can combine the Taj Express ticket with a conducted bus tour of Agra.

My personal recommendation is to stay overnight in Agra. Leave by Taj Express one day, return the next night. The Taj is best viewed in the evenings, espcially on a full-moon night.

There are a couple of hotels very close it (you can see the Taj Mahal from the room windows). I think Oberoi (Amarvilas) has a hotel there, and possibly a Sheraton.

By staying overnight, you will also be able to travel to the Agra Red Fort, Fatehpur Sikri (Akbar's capital - 22KM from Agra), and possibly Akbar's Tomb in Sikandra.

Good luck.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:06 pm

http://www.viator.com/New-Delhi-tour...ets/d804-t2401
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:29 pm

Train?
Please to explain,
what is train?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
The train is a great way to see the countryside. First class is definitely the way to go unless you're really adventurous. Keep in mind the Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by maltasr
the taj mahal is in the city of agra....

flights to agra are limited because due to its close distance from delhi, people prefer to take the train or drive....

if you would like contact details of a good travel agent in delhi then let me know & i can send them to you via pm....i have lost count of the number of people i have sent their way & they have all been happy with the service provided....
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:31 am

Kingfisher Red has once a day DEL-AGR service. The flight is seasonal (predominantly Dec-March only)

http://www.flykingfisher.com/flex/schedules.pdf
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:51 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Alternatively, if you don't want to drive far, there are a number of Taj hotels in Delhi you could visit.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Alternatively, if you don't want to drive far, there are a number of Taj hotels in Delhi you could visit.
very true....infact, the taj property on man singh road is called the taj mahal hotel....
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
I took a public bus

It cost 100 INR and was a fascinating experience.

The train in F class is probably the thing to do.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
As others have said take the train. Stay the night at ITC Mughal, Agra. Come back the next day.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
We recently rented a car with driver for a couple of days. Drove to Agra and stayed at the Oberoi. Visited the Taj Mahal for full moon one evening and then walked around the next morning at close to opening time. In the afternoon our driver took us to red fort and other sites. After a leisurely evening at the hotel, we returned to Delhi the next day. We enjoyed that schedule and would recommend it to others. The Oberoi is fantastic, but very expensive (we splurged). From our balcony, we could watch sunset and sunrise on the Taj while sipping tea or beer. In the evening they had dancers and music as the sun was setting. The Taj Mahal in the evening in the full moon was nice, but we were surprised that they only let us in for the famous view from the entrance.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:59 pm

So have any of you done the guided tours of Agra to the Taj Mahal and other Agra sites that are listed on frommers:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...501010002.html

Or did you just visit the Taj Mahal on your own? I'm trying to figure out what is best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.