FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Delhi IGI [DEL] connection/departure experience reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1150796-delhi-igi-del-connection-departure-experience-reports.html)

dhavalgiani Dec 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 15435027)
Unless you run into the mess I ran into today!

There was just one sluggish guy checking passports (so, with very few people connecting, a LONG line formed there), then the security check was ABSOLUTE MADNESS.

Heh. I have had that issue in Mumbai as well. Took me the full three hours once to make it to the boarding gate :)

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 15435027)
I almost lost my flight with a 2h10m connection, and I caught it because along with a group of other distressed passenger we pushed through (sorry for everyone in line with us ... :( )

I think a lot of them understand why it happened and really don't care too much about it (except of course to blame the passport check guy :p)

raistlin Dec 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by dhavalgiani (Post 15441808)
Heh. I have had that issue in Mumbai as well. Took me the full three hours once to make it to the boarding gate :)

A pity, because I was seriously impressed by the fast connection time on arrival :(

Keyser Dec 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by dhavalgiani (Post 15441791)
When does the fog start getting bad? (At least I don't see anything in the news yet). Also, i am hoping that jet will take care of me if there are delays due to fog.

its getting bad as we speak....in another week there will be a lot of flight delays....this carries on for most of jan as well....

CAlex Dec 15, 2010 3:42 pm

what is then the alternative arrival airport for India? I need to be in BLR in Jan, but except EK, flight prices are sky-high! I found very good alternatives in C at lower prices, but they involve a flight change from international to domestic in DEL or BOM...

dhavalgiani Dec 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by CAlex (Post 15457373)
what is then the alternative arrival airport for India? I need to be in BLR in Jan, but except EK, flight prices are sky-high! I found very good alternatives in C at lower prices, but they involve a flight change from international to domestic in DEL or BOM...

BOM if you are not interested in DEL. You could try for MAA as well.

abhilife2001 Dec 16, 2010 12:10 am

bom / hyd/ maa/ should all be fine..

hserus Dec 18, 2010 8:54 am

From Bucuresti? Yeah, fly LH or BA to MAA. HYD's rather more expensive to fly into (but a newer airport so killing time is not bad there).

For MAA you arrive late at night so exit the airport, get a hotel and then catch a flight sometime mid morning the next day.

Or LH MUC-DEL has a daytime arrival that should get you a connecting flight to BOM instead of staying overnight at a hotel.

CAlex Dec 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks. I will look into BOM or MAA for Jan-Feb, TK and OS have very good prices in C :)

abhilife2001 Dec 20, 2010 2:02 am

Originally Posted by CAlex (Post 15483696)
Thanks. I will look into BOM or MAA for Jan-Feb, TK and OS have very good prices in C :)

OS has quite good prices to both DEL and BOM if booked sufficiently in advance.. and IMO are better than LH in C ..

manum Dec 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi,

Instead of opening a new thread, I'll ask my question here. I'm planning these two flights:

- 9W63 Bangkok-Delhi on 24-FEB-2011. It lands T3 at 09:35
- AY022 Delhi-Helsinki on same day. Departs 10:50 from T3.

Is this connection time OK? I'm planning to go only with hand luggage. I guess I don't need to go through any immigration also? What happens if Jet Airways is late? The two tickets are not in same itinerary.

abhilife2001 Dec 28, 2010 2:19 am

Originally Posted by manum (Post 15531299)
Hi,

Instead of opening a new thread, I'll ask my question here. I'm planning these two flights:

Is this connection time OK? I'm planning to go only with hand luggage. I guess I don't need to go through any immigration also? What happens if Jet Airways is late? The two tickets are not in same itinerary.

If u r only with hand baggage, then no problems IMO unless as u said, Jet airways is late in arriving..
Did u buy the tickets thru a TA ?? You many try and get the PNR's linked if possible so that mis connection is not ur problem..Also, u may speak to AY and find out what happens if the connection is late and flight is missed..

I once had a intl connection on Austrian missed because of Jet arriving late and they promptly gave me acocmodation etc and booked me on the next available flight .. My tickets were also on another PNR but YMMV so please check..

raistlin Dec 29, 2010 5:09 am

Originally Posted by manum (Post 15531299)
Hi,

You would ordinarily stay outside immigration, IIRC.

However, I would not, as a rule, make such a connection on two different tickets. You will probably need to check in again in Delhi. This may even mean you will need to get through immigration, go to departures, check in, pass security, pass immigration.

If that is the case, you will simply not make it.

abhilife2001 Dec 29, 2010 5:37 am

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 15541363)
You would ordinarily stay outside immigration, IIRC.

However, I would not, as a rule, make such a connection on two different tickets. You will probably need to check in again in Delhi. This may even mean you will need to get through immigration, go to departures, check in, pass security, pass immigration.

If that is the case, you will simply not make it.

Ideally the transit desk should be able to help out in these.. emphasis should be on the word 'ideally'...
Maybe u can check with AY also beforehand so that they r informed specifically about ur case and a short transit..

manum Dec 30, 2010 10:35 am

I decided to not go with this plan :) I'm going via Hong Kong and now it's a normal stopover in same ticket. Thanks for all the help!

mrahul Dec 30, 2010 6:49 pm

I have a Hyd - Ord ticket issued by AA.
Hyd to Del is with Jet and Del to Ord is with AA.Will luggage be checked in Hyd all the way through to Ord?or will i have to recheck the luggage in delhi?
Also, I just have 2hrs connecting time in Delhi.Would it be sufficient time to connect in T3 terminal?I saw a poster here that said it took him a good 2.5hrs to connect!!
Any suggestions to make it smooth?
TIA.