FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   BOM airport, can I exit the airport after checkin? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1137200-bom-airport-can-i-exit-airport-after-checkin.html)

mp2 Oct 16, 2010 3:47 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

i recall that in the past, one could not exit the aiport or checkin area once you got in. with the new airport, wondering if things have changed. I want to checkin early to get exit row seats but not get stuck inside the airport for 3+ hrs

B747-437B Oct 16, 2010 4:14 am

Officially you are not supposed to but its been done before and undoubtedly will be done again. :)

aniruddh77 Oct 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by mp2 (Post 14955545)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

i recall that in the past, one could not exit the aiport or checkin area once you got in. with the new airport, wondering if things have changed. I want to checkin early to get exit row seats but not get stuck inside the airport for 3+ hrs

As B747-437B says, you can't and yet you can. That's true of all airports in India these days. If all you want are exit row seats, why not try and check in online, if that facility is available? In any case on most domestic airlines, my view is that OLCI is either popular or fee-based, except on IC where people rarely use the OLCI option.

mp2 Oct 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks for the responses. I can't OLCI as I am on LH on a codeshare, so it can't find my booking. So will have to try at the airport :(

SeeBuyFly Oct 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Ask the issuing airline or travel agent for your record locator on the operating airline.

hserus Oct 17, 2010 12:38 am

Call the airline and place a seat request.

Keyser Oct 17, 2010 4:42 am

Originally Posted by mp2 (Post 14958931)
Thanks for the responses. I can't OLCI as I am on LH on a codeshare, so it can't find my booking. So will have to try at the airport :(

where did you book your ticket????just ask them to block a seat for you....

like others have said, officially you are not supposed to leave the airport after check-in but it is very easy to do so....

mp2 Oct 17, 2010 5:00 am

My ticket was issued by Air Canada. I could OLCI, but the exit row seats are showing occupied. From what I recall, the exit row seats are assigned only at the airport for most airlines.

For leaving the airport, I'll try my luck :)

chanp Oct 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I dont see why you can not. You just need the same itin that you got in with, to get in again. Im trying to recall from when I was there in late Aug.

Keyser Oct 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 14961645)
I dont see why you can not. You just need the same itin that you got in with, to get in again. Im trying to recall from when I was there in late Aug.

once you have your boarding pass, the guards at the gate may stop you from going out again....

chanp Oct 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by saad (Post 14961658)
once you have your boarding pass, the guards at the gate may stop you from going out again....

If so, maybe you can tell them that you havent gotten them yet, and you need to get something else. I dont remember the guards at the door watching to see if I got mine or not.

Keyser Oct 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 14961805)
If so, maybe you can tell them that you havent gotten them yet, and you need to get something else. I dont remember the guards at the door watching to see if I got mine or not.

as a number of people have posted on this thread, you are not supposed to leave the airport once you have got your boarding pass but people manage to do so all the time....

the guards do not check whether you have got your boarding pass or not but they are instructed not to let people out from the entry gates....& since you cannot go to arrivals from the departure area, there is a chance the guards may not let you out once you have entered the terminal....but sometimes they don't care who goes out....depends on your luck....

B747-437B Oct 17, 2010 5:08 pm

The usual "kuch bhool gaya" story never fails to work even if the security folks stop you.

It's not for security reasons as much as to ensure the terminal flow is maintained. If everyone left the terminal after checkin and rushed back at departure time, the lines at Immigration and Security would be even worse than they are now!

oliver2002 Oct 18, 2010 1:03 am

... not to forget the crowds of friends and familiy hanging around outside with little fare well ceremonies going on. :D

You can exit if someone from the airline you are flying on takes you to the CISF supervisor and documents you have to leave for a reason.

Good luck find someone from AC to do this for you:cool:

PS: there is an elevator/lift that goes down to arrivals (and up to the airline offices) right opposite the lines for immigration in T2B. There is a guard there, but you never know.

mp2 Oct 19, 2010 11:12 am

So eventually, I didn't need to exit the airport, as I entered pretty late. Upon entering there's a huge sign that says "You cannot exit the airport once you checkin" (or something to that effect). As others have said, its not impossible to get out, if there's a valid reason.