Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

First trip to India-don't want to get sick!

First trip to India-don't want to get sick!

Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
let me know if anyone needs suggestions on where to eat in delhi....i'll be happy to provide a few names....
i am very much interested for having the spicy chicken items. Can you please tell me few names.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by anniekuang
i am very much interested for having the spicy chicken items. Can you please tell me few names.
if you are looking for spicy chicken in indian cuisine then dakshin at the sheraton would be a good bet....
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:17 am
Suspended

i just looked on some indian chicken items which were full of oils and that is a no no for me. is there any item which is spicy but with less oil content.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by anniekuang
i just looked on some indian chicken items which were full of oils and that is a no no for me. is there any item which is spicy but with less oil content.
go with tandoori chicken....very little oil....
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:18 am
Suspended

Tandoori?? I guess they have different dishes on this name.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:05 am

Hii

Hi all,
Thanks for this informative post.I am in Chennai,India now on my first day of 2-week trip. I am staying in Ibis Chennai OMR hotel (3-star). It sounds godd and clean,but I'm afraid of the food. Can I eat safely at this hotel? If not, what and where can I eat safely? Any more tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GfL
Yes, you can eat safely at that hotel and at any hotel of that type. Just read the first four posts in this thread and follow that advice.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
I was doing fine on my trip until I had some beer at a brewpub in Bangalore. Beer, no problem, you say? True, however, the bartender rinses the glass before pouring the draft. Only after my 2nd beer did the warning light go off in my head wondering if that was unfiltered water. Too late.

This was the evening before my 31 hour return trip! OMG. Quick google search, found that Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is the nuclear option that kills everything in your GI. Not to be taken lightly, this drug can have SERIOUS side effects. But the measure seemed appropriate given my circumstances. Sure enough, 12-16 hours later I was ready for the return. Hotel staff got me the med for something like $2 USD. No prescription needed in India.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:12 am

I am a careful eater when I am away from home , and often bring some snacks and peanut butter to make sandwiches , i figure that bread has been heated enough to kill most things ! And that gives me the first day to get use to local items

I know a couple USA film crews that bring a lot of food from home to India just because the risk of bring sick while filming a big budget movie was too great money wise .

What about carbon charcoal tables once you are already sick? Do they clean out the bad stuff ?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by manneca
I take powdered Gatorade for when I get sick.
Hi , can you tell me what the point of powdered Gatorade is for ?
Is it just to rehydrate you or something more ?
Thanks

​​​
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Hi , can you tell me what the point of powdered Gatorade is for ?
Is it just to rehydrate you or something more ?​​​
It is to rehydrate and to replace electrolytes etc. (salt, sugar, potassium, and so on) that you lose in the various processes of being gastrointestinally ill. You could also use the “BRAT” method of eating bananas, rice, applesauce and toast as you recover.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:22 pm

I tend to avoid buffets.

I try to ease in gradually to Indian food over the first few days: tempting as it is, don't over-indulge on day one.

If you're really cautious, stick to stuff which by its nature is unlikely to cause a problem, like Tandoori Chicken.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm usually pretty adventurous when eating outside of the US. I was in India for 10 days traveling with locals, so eating at some pretty cheap hole in the wall style places that most westerners wouldn't have gone to. No problems what so ever until the last day. Had the runs for about 36 hours after grabbing some food from a street vendor in Delhi. Nothing serious, but probably only the 2nd time food has ever adversely affected me while traveling.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by EditingFX
I was doing fine on my trip until I had some beer at a brewpub in Bangalore. Beer, no problem, you say? True, however, the bartender rinses the glass before pouring the draft. Only after my 2nd beer did the warning light go off in my head wondering if that was unfiltered water. Too late.

This was the evening before my 31 hour return trip! OMG. Quick google search, found that Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is the nuclear option that kills everything in your GI. Not to be taken lightly, this drug can have SERIOUS side effects. But the measure seemed appropriate given my circumstances. Sure enough, 12-16 hours later I was ready for the return. Hotel staff got me the med for something like $2 USD. No prescription needed in India.
Seriously, you nuked your GI tract because you had two glasses of beer that contained traces of tap water?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Yes, you can eat safely at that hotel and at any hotel of that type. Just read the first four posts in this thread and follow that advice.
That's brave advice. I'm currently trapped in a pretty luxurious hotel room, staying within reach of the pan. Yesterday I ate only the hotel breakfast. Ate unwisely, true, but the buffet items looked so good .......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.