Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

First trip to India-don't want to get sick!

First trip to India-don't want to get sick!

Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Back from India-wonderfull!

Thank you for the advice.
I had a fascinating trip and had no problems with food or anything-but then, I was living in a cocoon.
Stayed at top hotels, drank only bottled water, no ice but plenty of scotch, avoided raw fruits and salads.
Did go to a few roadside restaurants near Chennai with our rep and had the thalli-no problem (much to my surprise).
Also, had plenty of Indian food in Delhi and Chennai at the major restaurants-all of which I found spicy/flavored but not
super "hot". This surprised me and I wonder if the spice level was lowered for the foreigner?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jehflyer
Also, had plenty of Indian food in Delhi and Chennai at the major restaurants-all of which I found spicy/flavored but not
super "hot". This surprised me and I wonder if the spice level was lowered for the foreigner?
in most of the big restaurants you need to specify how spicy/hot you want your food....if you don't then it will never be 'super hot', just a little hot....
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, WorldPerks, OnePass, Rapid Rewards, Mileage Plus, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Plan to be careful and stick to it

I've gone to India 6 times from age 2 until 3 years ago. I got sick every time except for once. When I say sick, I don't mean cholera, typhoid, etc but 1-day-long GI events. The only reason I got sick last time I went was I caved and drank a lassi (yogurt drink) in a cafe. Don't do that. Just stick to your plan of eating at nice restaurants, drinking bottled water/alcohol/sodas, and using common sense which is certainly easier said than done. Have a great time!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by xrayvision
I've gone to India 6 times from age 2 until 3 years ago. I got sick every time except for once. When I say sick, I don't mean cholera, typhoid, etc but 1-day-long GI events. The only reason I got sick last time I went was I caved and drank a lassi (yogurt drink) in a cafe. Don't do that. Just stick to your plan of eating at nice restaurants, drinking bottled water/alcohol/sodas, and using common sense which is certainly easier said than done. Have a great time!
welcome to ft xrayvision....seems like you waited a long time for your first post....
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
How about hot coffee at a Starbucks? Safe?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:45 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by allset2travel
How about hot coffee at a Starbucks? Safe?
Starwhat? I've had hot and cold drinks at many coffee chains with no issues.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Starwhat? I've had hot and cold drinks at many coffee chains with no issues.
More importantly - I don't think I've ever even seen a Starbucks in India. Do they exist?

I found out that there is a Lavarro (or however you say it) coffee shop in my complex. I have been pleasantly surprised with everything I've gotten there.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:01 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
I did everything right before I went to India three weeks ago, but I still got a bad stomach after approx 30h.

Turns out it was the malaria medication my doctor prescribed me that caused it. The day after I stopped taking it, my stomach returned to normal.

So my advice, just make sure you eat stuff that is well cooked and only drink bottled water/sodas and stay away from the most spicy things and you'll be fine.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb
More importantly - I don't think I've ever even seen a Starbucks in India. Do they exist?

I found out that there is a Lavarro (or however you say it) coffee shop in my complex. I have been pleasantly surprised with everything I've gotten there.
no starbucks in india....there are a bunch of other chains like coffee bean, cafe coffee day, barista, costa coffee, etc....all pretty good....
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:00 am
Suspended

the best season for a trip to india is autumn to winter and you will not get sick during these days.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by anniekuang
the best season for a trip to india is autumn to winter and you will not get sick during these days.
Wow, that is a bold statement. Base upon what would you say that someone won't get Delhi belly during the autumn and winter?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anniekuang
i think the correct statement would be that you are more likely to get sick in the summer due to the insane heat....but that doesn't mean you won't get sick in autumn or the winter....
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
For future readers of this post there is a product called travelan (link here): http://www.travelan.org/

We used it before every meal in india and didn't get sick once during 10 days on two separate visits. We ate at hotels, but also at local restaurants and even at the seaside in Goa.

Highly recommend the product. Once we got back home we had a slight upset stomach for a day or so - but that was probably because we weren't using the travelan anymore and our bodies were adjusting back to the usual bacteria!!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Talking

I guess it was really a bold one. The correct line would be 'you are less likely to get sick in autumn and winter'.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let me know if anyone needs suggestions on where to eat in delhi....i'll be happy to provide a few names....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.