FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Surrender Certificate - ex-Indian Nationals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1103766-surrender-certificate-ex-indian-nationals.html)

Brahmin Jul 9, 2010 7:50 am

Surrender Certificate - ex-Indian Nationals

Does anyone have a clear explanation for this new requirement?

I heard a rumor saying that if one lands in India without the certificate, they are being fined $ 200 - $ 300. I personally do not believe this.

I have an OCI card and obtained my non-Indian citizenship over 20 years ago. What do I need to do?

UA Fan Jul 9, 2010 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Brahmin (Post 14270176)

I heard a rumor saying that if one lands in India without the certificate, they are being fined $ 200 - $ 300. I personally do not believe this.

I have an OCI card and obtained my non-Indian citizenship over 20 years ago. What do I need to do?

I think I read somewhere that is necessary for those who disowned India in 2010. :)

d3vski Jul 9, 2010 10:04 am

There are fines for those who have travelled on Indian passports after acquiring foreign citizenship. People may ask how Immigration know? If they are able to take photos of you travelling in and out, im sure they have a travel history as well.

Keyser Jul 9, 2010 2:12 pm

i think you should be fine unless as d3vski said you have been using your indian passport after surrendering your indian citizenship....

GUWonder Jul 9, 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Brahmin (Post 14270176)

You need not do anything more.

You should be ok, as OCI was already granted and OCI is still only to be granted to those whom the Indian government knows are not Indian citizens.

enjoystravel Jul 17, 2010 1:36 am

I have traveled with OCI no surrender cert asked

I travel often to India on OCI and have done so many times recently. There was some confusion in the press but looks as though the question of surrender cert has moved to granting of OCI rather than travel on OCI.

It is quite a different story if the computer detects that you have traveled on Indian passport past the date of the issuance of a foreign passport. You could be stopped and fine and asked to surrender or show a surrender certificate.

cover point Jul 19, 2010 5:55 am

I just returned from India yesterday on a PIO card and a US passport (have done the same trip 10 times over the lalst 2 years) and no questions ever asked.

After I heard all the media hoopla about the surrender certificates I carried my old cancelled Indian passport (over 10 years old) with me ... but was never asked for it.

I think this is overblown by the media. Unless there is something on your history that alerts them to something wrong you may have done you are fine ....

Yaatri Jul 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 14272568)
You need not do anything more.

You should be ok, as OCI was already granted and OCI is still only to be granted to those whom the Indian government knows are not Indian citizens.

When was this "surrender" requirement instituted? What exactly is this requirement, and when does it come into play?

Yaatri Jul 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by cover point (Post 14323701)
I just returned from India yesterday on a PIO card and a US passport (have done the same trip 10 times over the lalst 2 years) and no questions ever asked.

After I heard all the media hoopla about the surrender certificates I carried my old cancelled Indian passport (over 10 years old) with me ... but was never asked for it.

I think this is overblown by the media. Unless there is something on your history that alerts them to something wrong you may have done you are fine ....

What is a cancelled Indian passport supposed to establish any way? what about and un-cancelled expired passport? Is there any difference, in the practical sense,. between a cancelled Indian passport and an uncancelled expired Indian passport? Is there a presumption that an uncancelled passport might have been used go enter India? It makes little sense as it would have had an entry stamp had it been used so,