Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
In mid February I have to interrupt a holiday to attend a meeting in Doha. Although I have done International - Domestic transfers a number of times, I have never done a same day Domestic - International transfer.
I am due to arrive in T2 Domestic off Air India GOI - BOM at 00.25 and connect to the 04.00 QR BOM - DOH. I'll be in Business Class, hand luggage only and on separate PNR's.

I would hope that the transit time is more than sufficient but are there any particular issues to be aware of?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Easy peasy connection.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by GateLouse2
In mid February I have to interrupt a holiday to attend a meeting in Doha. Although I have done International - Domestic transfers a number of times, I have never done a same day Domestic - International transfer.
I am due to arrive in T2 Domestic off Air India GOI - BOM at 00.25 and connect to the 04.00 QR BOM - DOH. I'll be in Business Class, hand luggage only and on separate PNR's.

I would hope that the transit time is more than sufficient but are there any particular issues to be aware of?
More than sufficient time. You might be able to get your boarding pass through the transit area in which case you'll probably have to go to the GVK lounge and ask them to call QR to get you your lounge card. Otherwise you'll have to go up to the departure level and QR check-in to get your BP & lounge pass.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GateLouse2

You could avoid all this altogether by taking GOI to DOH direct flight by QR....
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by flyalways
You could avoid all this altogether by taking GOI to DOH direct flight by QR....
It's not a long flight but why would you want to miss out on the QSuites?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
There's no availability on the outward direct GOI - DOH flight on the day in question although I have managed a seat on the return direct flight.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
9.5 hour transit... lodging recommendation

Arriving at 12:40am on Cathay. Leaving for Pune at 10:10 on Jet Airways. Any recommendations on whether the Courtyard or Niranta hotel would be a better choice? Price is about the same. I am a Marriott Platinum (if it makes a difference).

Or if immigration and bags take a while, is it better to just get sleep in a chair in a lounge?

Any and all recommendations appreciated.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by gobears293
Arriving at 12:40am on Cathay. Leaving for Pune at 10:10 on Jet Airways. Any recommendations on whether the Courtyard or Niranta hotel would be a better choice? Price is about the same. I am a Marriott Platinum (if it makes a difference).

Or if immigration and bags take a while, is it better to just get sleep in a chair in a lounge?

At most immigration will take an hour, though generally <20 minutes. So even in the worst case scenario I suggest staying landside. Can't comment on those hotels, never stayed at either
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by gobears293

Yikes, any particular reason you would want to fly that short distance ? Consider taking an Uber to Pune - it would be 3-4 hours at that time of the day. If you time it properly, you would arrive well before that Pune flight
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Consider taking an Uber to Pune - it would be 3-4 hours at that time of the day.
My information may be outdated, but in the past I've been advised that late night travel on the new Mumbai-Pune expressway is dangerous owing to a large number of vehicles being driven rashly and at excessive speeds by tired and sleepy drivers (and no doubt a fair number of inebriated drivers at the wheels too - a problem all over India on the roads at night) leading to a high number of accidents. And at least as of 2014 there seemed to be a number of robberies reported at night on this highway. All this might have changed, I'm not sure; do check with a knowledgeable local.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Bandicoot
My information may be outdated, but in the past I've been advised that late night travel on the new Mumbai-Pune expressway is dangerous owing to a large number of vehicles being driven rashly and at excessive speeds by tired and sleepy drivers (and no doubt a fair number of inebriated drivers at the wheels too - a problem all over India on the roads at night) leading to a high number of accidents. And at least as of 2014 there seemed to be a number of robberies reported at night on this highway. All this might have changed, I'm not sure; do check with a knowledgeable local.
After 2am I can't imagine there being much traffic. Mostly trucks probably
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:36 am

Ah ok - I've only been on that highway during the daylight, so couldn't possibly comment.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
This matches information my coworkers have provided. Nighttime / early morning is no better than daylight. Might be less cars, but the traffic being mostly trucks and lots of sleepy drivers make it just as treacherous as any other time.

Planned my travel so I'm not in a rush Sunday. Plenty of time to fly to Pune, get to the hotel and rest before going to my local office on Monday.

For reference, I booked the Niranta transit hotel. Even if any of the airport hotels are much nicer, I value the time saved (in this situation).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BA executive club Gold, United milage plus Gold
An update - I transited through BOM last week and had a great experience. Arrived by Lufthansa (thankfully flight was on time) and cleared immigration in record time. Suitcase was already waiting at the carousel when I got there. Dropped off my bag, which had been through booked to Chennai, at the Jet transfer counter. In a total of just one hour after wheels touched down, I was waiting at the gate for my Jet flight.
I'm really impressed by BOM compared to the lethargic speed of international arrivals processing at MAA. BOM seems to operate at double speed!
aktchi likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Exit airport in BOM on through itinerary?

I have a ticket LRH-BOM-CMB with an 11 hour layover in BOM and valid visa for India.
1. Will there be any problems with getting off the plane and going into Mumbai?
2. If I don't have any checked bags, can I skip the BOM-CMB flight altogether (this is the last segment on my ticketed itinerary? My original plan was to go to CMB for 3 days and then fly to BOM on a separate ticket but now I am thinking of not visiting Sri Lanka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.