FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Taxi Scams of India (and my Vengeance!!) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1024620-taxi-scams-india-my-vengeance.html)

LoganFlyer Dec 12, 2009 9:50 pm

First off, thank you all for your support and advice...it's been very helpful. I am loving my time here in India; I came to go to a friend's wedding and it's been a magnificent experience. Things like this can happen when you travel, and if I didn't want to take the risk, I could have stayed home and read about it in a guide book and missed out on an experience of a lifetime. In other words, I'm very happy I've taken this trip in spite of what happened.

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 12973411)
It sounds like you were feeling physically intimidated by the time they had your luggage. And it seems that the airport security staff were nowhere to be seen. (Who knows - Perhaps they were paid to turn a blind eye to these scammers).

I started to feel intimidated when the guy ripped the prepaid voucher from my hand (I didn't offer it to him, he just took it). I've been asked plenty of times if I needed a taxi at airports around the world, and have always said no, knowing that the stand was nearby. But in this case, once the guy grabbed my voucher, I had no clue what I could do--could I have gone to the stand and explained what happened? I had not yet reached the point where I could even see the stand. Would the guard have let me back into the airport to get another one? If I had known that, I gladly would have paid another Rs. 200; not knowing my options once the voucher was gone was the key reason I felt lost. And I was very disappointed when I couldn't see any security guards in the area.

ijkh Dec 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Note to self

All inclusive tour to India including transfers?

AAJetMan Dec 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 12975618)

I started to feel intimidated when the guy ripped the prepaid voucher from my hand (I didn't offer it to him, he just took it). I've been asked plenty of times if I needed a taxi at airports around the world, and have always said no, knowing that the stand was nearby. But in this case, once the guy grabbed my voucher, I had no clue what I could do--could I have gone to the stand and explained what happened? I had not yet reached the point where I could even see the stand. Would the guard have let me back into the airport to get another one? If I had known that, I gladly would have paid another Rs. 200; not knowing my options once the voucher was gone was the key reason I felt lost. And I was very disappointed when I couldn't see any security guards in the area.

I think my fate would've been the same as yours had I not been "rescued" by 2 legitimate taxi guides.

Truly Dec 28, 2009 6:55 am

Originally Posted by ijkh (Post 12978068)
All inclusive tour to India including transfers?

I don't think you need to go THAT far ... but I never arrive at an Indian airport without a confirmed, pre-paid transfer already arranged. That way I know that if the guy is holding a sign with my name on it, he isn't a scammer.

...especially as a woman traveling alone (often) with huge suitcases that I would prefer NOT to carry!

I also use the GPS on my blackberry when I am in a taxi to make sure we are going in the right direction and not taking the scenic route.

Truly

Mr. Bean Dec 31, 2009 1:07 am

Knowing the language is a big help, as are grains of salt. The first isn't always possible, but you should be very skeptical of solicitations of any sort (i.e., not just for taxis).

I almost fell into a similar scheme in EZE, as I don't know Spanish, but luckily someone helped me out of it.

SuperFlyBoy Dec 31, 2009 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 12972034)
Wow, that stinks. In my 12 years of traveling in India, I've never had this sort of thing happen, but that may be because I am a naturally suspicious person and tend to reflexively refuse anyone in an airport that comes up to me asking if I want a taxi.

Same here.

Originally Posted by snod08 (Post 12972150)
Sorry you had this trouble. I always take pride in telling people that India is pretty safe to travel for foreigners....and then I hear these scams. Such a shame.

Me too!

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean (Post 13084806)
Knowing the language is a big help, as are grains of salt. The first isn't always possible, but you should be very skeptical of solicitations of any sort (i.e., not just for taxis).

Yes, the language bit can completely throw them out of whack, once you hit them hard with it! ;)

Mr. Bean Jan 3, 2010 2:02 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Heh it's my first time noticing this was stickied. Very good tips in the OP.

Athena53 Jan 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks for the stories! It makes me realize how lucky I was on my first day of my first trip in 2004. It was a Sunday and I got a taxi outside my hotel and asked to go to the Red Fort. He got me to a certain point and then said that he was turning me over to a bicycle rickshaw driver, as cars weren't allowed that close to the Fort. He said he'd be waiting. Since I hadn't paid him anything I decided to trust him. The bicycle rickshaw ride was pretty wild, but as promised, he pedaled around the perimeter and waited while I took a liesurely walk through the place. He picked me up, I paid him the top of the range of what the taxi driver suggested, and dropped me off near the taxi driver, who promptly took me into a souvenir shop. Oh, well. Here's a picture with the view from the bicycle rickshaw.

My colleagues were incredulous when I got into the office the next day and told them of my adventure. So was my mother when I told her later. Since then I've gone with drivers my company provides.

csakamoto Feb 22, 2010 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot (Post 12952690)
Most taxis will have a taxi license with the driver's picture posted for passengers to examine.

After following the above guidelines, I always pull out my camera and snap a shot of the license and the driver. They HATE this :p , but are very well behaved after I have the shot.

If you are paying based on distance traveled it also helps to take a picture of the odometer before starting your journey.

Recently hired a car for 1 day of sightseeing in Delhi with some (South) Indian co-workers. We reached an agreement for 8 hours and 80 kilometers, with anything over costing extra. At the end of the day the driver claimed we had gone 150 km, but there was no way we could disprove him, so we ended up paying an extra charge! We later calculated that we had traveled about 65 km, and not 150 km.

In my experience I've found people who come into contact with tourists can be nasty, but the general population as a whole is very warm. It's a wonderful country with a fascinating history, great food, and wonderful sights, so don't let all these stories about India discourage you from visiting.

Mr. Bean Feb 22, 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Athena53 (Post 13284580)
Thanks for the stories! It makes me realize how lucky I was on my first day of my first trip in 2004. It was a Sunday and I got a taxi outside my hotel and asked to go to the Red Fort. He got me to a certain point and then said that he was turning me over to a bicycle rickshaw driver, as cars weren't allowed that close to the Fort. He said he'd be waiting. Since I hadn't paid him anything I decided to trust him. The bicycle rickshaw ride was pretty wild, but as promised, he pedaled around the perimeter and waited while I took a liesurely walk through the place. He picked me up, I paid him the top of the range of what the taxi driver suggested, and dropped me off near the taxi driver, who promptly took me into a souvenir shop. Oh, well. Here's a picture with the view from the bicycle rickshaw.

My colleagues were incredulous when I got into the office the next day and told them of my adventure. So was my mother when I told her later. Since then I've gone with drivers my company provides.

there are some good ones, too. Once, a family member forgot one of their bags when they were dropped off at the train station. The driver returned with the bag just as they were about to file a missing bag report with the police.

Jaimito Cartero Feb 22, 2010 9:18 am

I think knowing normal rates helps immensely. What I've learned on FT has helped me in CAI recently. Of all the scams I run into 90% are taxi related.

bhavikp00 Aug 1, 2010 11:29 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 12971785)
I just got taken by a ride by a taxi scam and need to let it out. The taxi from the hotel to BOM cost Rs. 200, excluding tip. That was arranged through the hotel and was just fine. So after a couple of days in Delhi, I get back to BOM at 10:30 PM and go to the prepaid taxi counter, where I pay Rs. 200, they give me a voucher and I head outside. Mistake #1--I held that voucher in my hand as I start to look for the prepaid stand. Next thing I know, two guys literally come running up to me and literally grab the voucher out of my hand and tell me to follow them to a taxi. I ask them if it's a prepaid taxi, and they say yes. Now at this point I was sniffing something was wrong but didn't know what to do about it, so I start frantically looking for a security guard, and seeing none, follow them (mistake #2.) They bring me inside a cab with barely working lights and hand me a laminated sheet, claiming that the Rs. 200 I paid inside the airport was merely an "airport service charge" and that the real fare was Rs. 1600. They even had a laminated sheet that said so. I started to argue, but my stuff was in the trunk and they had me. Mistake #3--I paid the Rs. 1600 instead of getting out while I was still on airport property. At that point, they first tell me the bills I gave were slightly torn and not acceptable, so I fish for others--in reality, they wanted me to pay in US $, but I was having none of that. And of course the dim light made it impossible for me to see what I--or they--were doing, so it's entirely possible I accidentally paid Rs. 2100 (or probably a lot more; for example, at one point, I think I paid Rs. 1600 as 3 Rs. 500 bills and 1 Rs. 100 bill, but they claimed I only paid Rs. 400--I think they switched the 3 Rs. 500 bills to 3 Rs. 100 bills but I couldn't see the switch since it was dark inside the cab). They then transfer me to taxi #2 with different drivers (probably so they could go back to the airport to get the next guy); that goes for about a kilometer, to a taxi stand where I get into taxi #3. Now I think the driver of taxi #3 had no clue about what was going on--he was just getting a passenger who already paid and was happy about it. I was definitely nervous at this point, but he did take me straight to the hotel, and I did tip him since I didn't believe he knew what was happening. When I got to the hotel, I stopped at the front desk, and they confirmed the whole thing was a scam.

So my question is...what should I have done differently? In particular, once the guy ripped the voucher from my hand, what were my options? I knew something was wrong, but had no idea what I could do without the voucher. Would they have let me back inside to get another one? Or could I have gone to the security stand and explained what happened?

I fell for the same scam in Sep 09. Very much the same routine as described above. It wasn’t the Rs 2600 I paid instead of Rs 200 for a transfer between domestic to international terminal, it was the terrifying experience that was more bothersome. Please beware of this SCAM!

hserus Aug 17, 2010 6:56 am

http://www.meterjam.com - people fed up with autorickshaws and taxis and are like "we won't ride in an auto or cab for a whole day"

Keyser Aug 17, 2010 6:59 am

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 14495472)
http://www.meterjam.com - people fed up with autorickshaws and taxis and are like "we won't ride in an auto or cab for a whole day"

good stuff....

abhilife2001 Aug 20, 2010 2:46 am

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 14495472)

In many cities they started with this taxi / auto complaint booths and telephone nos where we could call and complain if they refused to take us or if we found some problems with the ride in form of tampered meters etc..
For some unknown reason it failed to become a success and i felt that was quite strange seeing the frequency of these things in big cities..
Any idea on this.. I know it didnt work in calcutta but whts the progress in other cities ??
One reason someone told me was that no one wants to complain since then they will also hv to appear in court as a witness and who wants all this harrassment..