Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Fleet replacement questions

Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program

Hi,

Ive got several questions regarding Air India's fleet renewal. My gateway to and from India is 90% of the time BOM and if anyone has the answers i am looking for, i would be grateful to them.

1) Any ideas when the newer B77Ws will be based at BOM and fly to LHR on a regular basis. I want try the New First class on these planes but dont wanna risk having a 747 with all that money spent?

2) When are Air India going to join Star Alliance as i want to earn BD miles for the above F trip.

3) Is the 77W DEL-LHR a longterm thing or will it revert to a 747. If it is a long term thing, i may risk tranferring at Del to a IC flight to BOM.

4) What sort of ground service can one expect in AI F class (comparison to Jet?)
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by d3vski
1) Any ideas when the newer B77Ws will be based at BOM and fly to LHR on a regular basis. I want try the New First class on these planes but dont wanna risk having a 747 with all that money spent?

2) When are Air India going to join Star Alliance as i want to earn BD miles for the above F trip.

3) Is the 77W DEL-LHR a longterm thing or will it revert to a 747. If it is a long term thing, i may risk tranferring at Del to a IC flight to BOM.

4) What sort of ground service can one expect in AI F class (comparison to Jet?)
1) Not anytime soon. As long as BOM-LHR is linked with EWR/AMD, it will be a 744.

2) Don't hold your breath. No fixed timetable yet.

3) Almost all DEL-base longhaul flying is now 777. Expect that to continue.

4) On the 744 its good but dated. On the 77W/77L its allegedly wonderful but not quite 9W standards. Personally, I believe 9W First Class is one of the best products in the skies.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Personally, I believe 9W First Class is one of the best products in the skies.
Have you flown this and can you elaborate?

Any comparison to SQ F on 77w?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by B747-437B

4) On the 744 its good but dated. On the 77W/77L its allegedly wonderful but not quite 9W standards. Personally, I believe 9W First Class is one of the best products in the skies.
Ive got to agree, 9W has a great product. I was lucky to have the entire cabin to myself!

logically, most people would choose 9W over AI 99 times out of 100 but being a FTer and aviation nut, logic goes out of the window and i am curious to try the new AI first class product!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Advantage and CO One Pass
3) Almost all DEL-base longhaul flying is now 777. Expect that to continue.
hello sir,

i have a question. i was checking on wikipedia which states that Air India has currently in its fleet 5 Boeing 777-300ERs. i do know that 1 is used for daily DEL-LHR + 2 for BOM-FRA-ORD and 1 for BOM-DXB. i was wondering where the 5th aircraft is being deployed on?

also if Air India are expecting more B 77Ls and B 77Ws to be delivered to them this year, are there any indicators as to which cities will get to see them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.