AI sacks 10 overweight FAs

Old Jan 6, 09, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
AI sacks 10 overweight FAs

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1218913

NEW DELHI: India's flagship carrier Air India has handed 10 air hostesses the pink slip for being overweight.

The hostesses, who were grounded some months earlier, were served the termination notices in the last week of December

[...]

For an 18-year-old air hostess with a height of 152 cm, the maximum weight permissible is 50 kg, while for air hostesses in the age group of 26 to 30 and a height of 152 cm, the weight limit is 56 kg.
Old Jan 6, 09, 6:49 am

Programs: UA, AA
My guess is this will sound pretty small to most people without someone to reference it against but a girl I know is 153cm and 40kg (and incidentally thought she was too short to be an FA). She's very skinny but I can't imagine what she would look like if she somehow gained 10kg(22lbs)!
Old Jan 6, 09, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Ah, a chuck berry fan. And if I'm not wrong most of the sacked FAs are more than likely to be rather more than just 10 kilos overweight.

I dont personally care if they're fat or thin, wearing saris or miniskirts (or pantsuits like 9W issues their FAs) .. the problem is that the older generation of AI FAs have often been entirely unprofessional .. rude, poor service, etc.

Sitting in J on an A300 to Singapore, with you being about the only paying passenger in J and most of the other seats being occupied by nonrev crew - who the FA gossips with, while remembering, once in a while that there's a pax out there waiting for service ..

Not that AI is the only airline where this happens. I've seen this on random airlines .. United, Bellview in Nigeria ..

Wish AI would simply boot FAs on the basis of laziness and incompetence rather than on how fat they are. Sure, there's every chance the fatter FAs are the lazier and more unprofessional ones as well, but ..

Originally Posted by johnnybgood3 View Post
My guess is this will sound pretty small to most people without someone to reference it against but a girl I know is 153cm and 40kg (and incidentally thought she was too short to be an FA). She's very skinny but I can't imagine what she would look like if she somehow gained 10kg(22lbs)!
Old Jan 6, 09, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I thought they were at least offered ground jobs...but the article says she has been without pay? Maybe the FA refused a ground job?
Old Jan 6, 09, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Babu View Post
I thought they were at least offered ground jobs...but the article says she has been without pay? Maybe the FA refused a ground job?
Most of the articles mention that yes, they refused ground jobs (which I believe pay less .. there's inflight allowance, perdiem on remote stations etc so that flight crew make rather more than ground duty staff)
Old Jan 6, 09, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by hserus View Post
AI FAs have often been entirely unprofessional .. rude, poor service, etc.
Sounds like a recent Continental flight I took to BOM this December. The FAs take particular delight in belittling the Indian pax.
Old Jan 6, 09, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Babu View Post
Sounds like a recent Continental flight I took to BOM this December. The FAs take particular delight in belittling the Indian pax.
They might not react too well to first time flyers? Or people who jump up in their seats and switch on their phones as soon as the bird touches down?

I had a very pleasant (if long and boring) flight BOM-EWR-BOM on CO some months back - it was one of the first flights on that route (maybe in the first week of ops) so perhaps things have changed.

But as paying pax, complaining to CO customer relations here, and/or in the states works rather better than complaining to AI.

Try complaining to AI .. you get ignored (nobody picks up the phone), or you get directed to an endless series of "concerned persons", half of whom are on tea breaks, "not in their seat" etc, or you just get told to pound sand and hung up on.
Old Jan 6, 09, 7:09 am

They might not react too well to first time flyers? Or people who jump up in their seats and switch on their phones as soon as the bird touches down?
It was more like the FA walking down the aisle with newspapers saying, "USA Today, New York Times, and don't touch me, USA Today, New York Times, and don't touch me". The don't touch me was reserved only for Indians. And for the record, no one touched her or even tried to.

Another instance is a FA slapping food trays down, and the sweet old Indian lady said all she wanted was coffee. The reply, "does this look like a coffee cart to you?" The woman was shocked. The bev cart was a few feet away...why couldn't the jerk simply have said, "ma'am the beverage cart is coming in just a few minutes."

There were many more instances like this that I could write here, but I have to get back to work now!
Old Jan 6, 09, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Complain. And loudly. Especially to CO India and then they get to spread the love to CO stateside. You dont seem to be alone - so point them to this too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...a-ewr-del.html

Looks like EWR based crew are the culprits each time?
Old Jan 6, 09, 7:16 am

Complain. And loudly. Especially to CO India and then they get to spread the love to CO stateside. You dont seem to be alone - so point them to this too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...a-ewr-del.html

Looks like EWR based crew are the culprits each time?
Believe me, if I was the victim I would have raised all hell right there on the aircraft. But the abused were third parties, so I really have no voice.
Old Jan 6, 09, 7:25 am

Programs: UA, AA
Ah, a chuck berry fan. And if I'm not wrong most of the sacked FAs are more than likely to be rather more than just 10 kilos overweight.

I dont personally care if they're fat or thin, wearing saris or miniskirts (or pantsuits like 9W issues their FAs) .. the problem is that the older generation of AI FAs have often been entirely unprofessional .. rude, poor service, etc.
Haha, yes I am ^
Yea I'm sure they were quite a bit over the limit and assuming they were within the limit when hired, they probably had known about the issue for a while.

Thin with miniskirts would certainly add significant value to premium cabins!
Old Jan 6, 09, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnnybgood3 View Post
Thin with miniskirts would certainly add significant value to premium cabins!
Unless they also applied the dresscode to the male FAs.
Old Jan 6, 09, 4:03 pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/3944690.cms

3 pimples are one too many...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: