FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Mumbai Airport transfer -- Will Air India transfer my luggage for Delta flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/886663-mumbai-airport-transfer-will-air-india-transfer-my-luggage-delta-flight.html)

VendiVennela Nov 8, 2008 12:07 pm

Mumbai Airport transfer -- Will Air India transfer my luggage for Delta flight?

I have a question related to baggage tranfer at Mumbai airport. I will be travelling by Air India flight 141 from Hyderabd to Mumbai. From there I have a Delta connecting flight to Atlanta.

Heard that Air India flight 141 will directly go to international terminal instead of domestic terminal, is that right? Will Air India check my baggage all the way to Atlanta or I will have to check in again at Mumbai? If it checks me all the way to Atlanta, do I have to identify the bags on arrival at Mumbai and then give to Delta people or it will be taken care without my involvement.

Also, the time between flights in Mumbai is 1hr 30 mins, is this enough as I don't have to change terminals.

Thank you all so much for your valuable answers.

hserus Nov 8, 2008 6:51 pm

Eh? AI 141 is the BOM-JFK direct flight. And it will START from the international terminal.

Oh ok .. http://news.webindia123.com/news/Art...1/1042384.html

IC 620 will be operated as AI 141, landing in terminal 2B of the international airport. You should be able to checkin and have your bags tagged straight to ATL, no issues.

I guess you would clear immigration / security in Hyderabad and stay airside in Bombay.

VendiVennela Nov 9, 2008 9:50 am

Thank You.........

Thank You so much for your reply hserus.

B747-437B Nov 10, 2008 8:04 am

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 10689444)
I guess you would clear immigration / security in Hyderabad and stay airside in Bombay.

Only if the booking is on a single ticket. Otherwise, his HYD-BOM boarding pass will be designated as "D" and hence will require him to exit through "domestic customs" and re-checkin. Only "T" designated boarding passes can clear immigration in Hyderabad and hence do an airside transfer between domestic and international segments in Mumbai.

VendiVennela Nov 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Thank You

Thank you B747-437B. It's on the same ticket.

Trav1970 Nov 14, 2008 12:46 am

My experiences

Originally Posted by VendiVennela (Post 10686965)
I have a question related to baggage tranfer at Mumbai airport. I will be travelling by Air India flight 141 from Hyderabd to Mumbai. From there I have a Delta connecting flight to Atlanta.

Heard that Air India flight 141 will directly go to international terminal instead of domestic terminal, is that right? Will Air India check my baggage all the way to Atlanta or I will have to check in again at Mumbai? If it checks me all the way to Atlanta, do I have to identify the bags on arrival at Mumbai and then give to Delta people or it will be taken care without my involvement.

Also, the time between flights in Mumbai is 1hr 30 mins, is this enough as I don't have to change terminals.

I have just recently taken the Air India connection from HYD to BOM, and it arrived to the international terminal, which made the transfer to an international connection a whole lot easier. My ticketing was on two separate tickets, so obviously I needed to pick up my luggage and complete a normal check-in for the international leg. I don't know if they could check you in to the international flight already in HYD as it is on the same ticket, but last time when I was flying from HYD to DEL further to an international connection from DEL I had to check in again at DEL despite the fact that the flights were on the same ticket. I of course needed to pick up my luggage in DEL and hand it in again at the international check-in.

90 minutes connection may be a bit on the risky side if the HYD-BOM flight is late, but on the other hand you are going to save a lot of time by not having to transfer from the domestic terminal to the international terminal.

hserus Nov 14, 2008 1:16 am

Well, the OP says its a single ticket .. so if she gets misconnected DL should be able to stick her on another flight (Air France / Northwest / Continental I guess), or at least pay for her hotel.

VendiVennela Nov 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Thank You

Thank you Trav1970 and the others for your time and replies.

UA Fan Nov 17, 2008 1:00 pm

VendiVennela welcome to FT.

hurricane49 Jun 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Do you have a update

Vendi Vennela,

Will greatly appreciate if you update with your experience. I am looking to get my in laws through the air india/delta option from hyderabad to atlanta via mumbai. cant seem to find how to get it through 1 ticket. So wondering if i buy air india flight and delta seperately, will the immigration be done at hyderabad or mumbai.

Thank you. appreciate any input.

hserus Jun 16, 2009 7:47 am

You can book it through say orbitz.com / some other booking site that lets you combine airlines on a ticket, or you could contact a travel agent to book this for you. The other option is to call DL and have them tack on an AI segment on your ticket.

Originally Posted by hurricane49 (Post 11911920)
Vendi Vennela,

Will greatly appreciate if you update with your experience. I am looking to get my in laws through the air india/delta option from hyderabad to atlanta via mumbai. cant seem to find how to get it through 1 ticket. So wondering if i buy air india flight and delta seperately, will the immigration be done at hyderabad or mumbai.

Thank you. appreciate any input.

andymell Jul 30, 2010 2:33 pm

I am in the process of flying HYD-(AI 141)-BOM-(LH)-FRA-SEA all on one ticket. AI was not able to check my luggage through BOM, despite me pointing out that it was a single ticket. The checkin agent told me that it was only possible to check luggage through BOM if the ongoing flight is AI. The change in BOM was a bit of a pain because it took 30 minutes for the luggage to arrive and the walk to the check-in counter was via an exterior roadway that was very crowded with people and cars. It was still very nice to be able to skip the transfer bus.

I would say that 1.5 hours is the minimum time to make this transfer.

Keyser Jul 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by andymell (Post 14394272)
I am in the process of flying HYD-(AI 141)-BOM-(LH)-FRA-SEA all on one ticket. AI was not able to check my luggage through BOM, despite me pointing out that it was a single ticket. The checkin agent told me that it was only possible to check luggage through BOM if the ongoing flight is AI. The change in BOM was a bit of a pain because it took 30 minutes for the luggage to arrive and the walk to the check-in counter was via an exterior roadway that was very crowded with people and cars. It was still very nice to be able to skip the transfer bus.

I would say that 1.5 hours is the minimum time to make this transfer.

if you managed this in 1.5 hours in mumbai then you were extremely lucky....

SuperFlyBoy Jul 31, 2010 11:01 am

I just got off a 9w flight at approx 2100 hours tonight at BOM and be advised that there was a guy (or more than one?) yelling for Delta pax...

Another approached me to ask if I was a transfer passenger.

You won't have a problem getting assistance at BOM domestic. (9w arrivals)

Edited To Add: Oh now realized you're flying on AI - that's another ballgame - sorry! :p

andymell Aug 1, 2010 7:41 am

Originally Posted by saad (Post 14394945)
if you managed this in 1.5 hours in mumbai then you were extremely lucky....

I should clarify that I did not change terminals (AI flight arrived at int'l terminal) and I have SEN status on LH so I bypassed the checkin, but not the security line. 1.5 hours seems like an absolute minimum to me.