FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Do 9W allow cash upgrades? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/857384-do-9w-allow-cash-upgrades.html)

lcyguy Aug 20, 2008 7:04 am

Do 9W allow cash upgrades?

I am travelling in J from BOM- LHR. Does Jet accept cash payments, like for instance Thai do, to upgrade to F either before the flight or onboard .

hserus Aug 20, 2008 8:21 am

Originally Posted by lcyguy (Post 10230801)
I am travelling in J from BOM- LHR. Does Jet accept cash payments, like for instance Thai do, to upgrade to F either before the flight or onboard .

Sure. Fare difference between J and F.

lcyguy Aug 20, 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 10231197)
Sure. Fare difference between J and F.

Thanks for your reply. What I actually wanted to know is do they have a system in operation to accept payment at the airport for a one class upgrade for either a single or return journey.

satish_ny Aug 20, 2008 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by lcyguy (Post 10230801)

9W is extremely protective about their premium classes. AFAIK, they do not upgrade either at checkin, the gate or onboard. The only way to upgrade is pay the full fare difference.

lcyguy Aug 21, 2008 12:59 am

Originally Posted by satish_ny (Post 10233093)
9W is extremely protective about their premium classes. AFAIK, they do not upgrade either at checkin, the gate or onboard. The only way to upgrade is pay the full fare difference.

So from what you are saying they will accept cash payment ,I presume at the airport if I pay the difference in the fare between J and F for a one way sector?
The reason I ask is some airlines, eg VS do and some like MH dont.

kiez Aug 22, 2008 5:30 am

well according to this page they accept cash upgrades (found that by accident)
http://www.jetairways.com/Cultures/e.../Redeem+Miles/

d3vski Aug 22, 2008 5:51 am

totally unofficial, but if its Bm-lhr, why dont you try to hand over a $100 bill to the agent at check in and see if that makes a difference!

hserus Aug 22, 2008 5:53 am

Originally Posted by kiez (Post 10242359)

On domestic flights for around $50 per sector. Nothing there about their upgrading you that way on international flights.

SuperFlyBoy Aug 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by satish_ny (Post 10233093)

Nope, I disagree - one elite was op-upped on the aircraft into *my* paid C seat on BOM-BRU! (9w has legacy (from domestic) issues with seat assignments - they have *no* idea what they are doing, really - on international sectors!)

Originally Posted by lcyguy (Post 10231236)
Thanks for your reply. What I actually wanted to know is do they have a system in operation to accept payment at the airport for a one class upgrade for either a single or return journey.

Not that I know of - one can use an upgrade certificate, or possibly go to the ticketing counter to pay the fare differential...

Originally Posted by d3vski (Post 10242408)
totally unofficial, but if its Bm-lhr, why dont you try to hand over a $100 bill to the agent at check in and see if that makes a difference!

Ha! I like that - what *shock* would entail on the other side! :D :p (I want to witness this when anyone tries!! :cool:)

Originally Posted by kiez (Post 10242359)

That's only for upgrading an award (using miles) ticket - Also Jet doesn't have a system to upgrade *paid* sectors with miles so far - they have resisted this quite a bit - I have no idea why! :eek:

WASBLR Aug 22, 2008 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by d3vski (Post 10242408)

Speaking from experience?! :D

d3vski Aug 23, 2008 3:14 am

Originally Posted by WASBLR (Post 10244760)

yep, it works wonders especially for excess baggage, ive hardly ever flown with Jet but it has worked with BA, Virgin and Qatar! I travel 1-2 per month from LHR and i usually go and speak with staff personally at check in, i remember their names and write in good letters about them, and buy them bottles of chivas from duty free! Every little helps, its surprising how a little friendliness will get you in India!

also cash at check in is good: an average agent gets paid Rs15000 per month, you offer them $100 thats like Rs4000, a third of there salary! It certainly makes your journey through the airport much easier!

It may not be moral but with widespread corruption in all levels of indian society, why not use it for your own benefit every now and then!

SuperFlyBoy Aug 23, 2008 4:05 am

Originally Posted by d3vski (Post 10247348)
yep, it works wonders especially for excess baggage, ive hardly ever flown with Jet but it has worked with BA, Virgin and Qatar!

Jet training vs. cash - this is why I said I wanted to see this!! :p

However, given that the international (Edited to Add: in BOM) CI agents are hopeless (Edited to Add: and less supervised), imo, I guess it will be quickly taken...

prishacoby Sep 5, 2008 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by WASBLR (Post 10244760)

i really would love to try it, as i never get a chance to travel in J class. i am lowly cattle class traveller. let me know if anyone tried this and how do you actually do it.

thanks

enjoystravel Sep 19, 2008 2:51 am

Jet allows domestic upgrades even on award tkts

I've upgraded award tkts at airport several times on 9W as long as they have the right class. On MAA-DEL it costs about Rs. 2000/- for a Platinum member (absolutely worth the cost for the 2.5 hrs flt).

International upgrades are available using miles but you need to do so upto 3 days before by faxing the JP center. I have not tried cash upgrades from Y to J or J to F on international segments.

SuperFlyBoy Sep 19, 2008 3:07 am

Originally Posted by enjoystravel (Post 10392437)
International upgrades are available using miles but you need to do so upto 3 days before by faxing the JP center. I have not tried cash upgrades from Y to J or J to F on international segments.

Pray tell, how did you manage the mileage upgrades?? :confused:

Please elucidate on how much it cost for the upgrade from Y to J or from J to F, and what amounts of mileage did they require?

Further, do you have status with 9w, and if so, what level?

These data points might be useful for everyone! ;)