FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Checked Bags for Domestic Segments on 9W (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/830608-checked-bags-domestic-segments-9w.html)

PIT_Flyer Jun 3, 2008 3:02 pm

Checked Bags for Domestic Segments on 9W

I'm flying into DEL and will then fly 9W for a bunch of domestic (and to Nepal) flights:

DEL - KTM - DEL
DEL - BLR - Pune - BOM - DEL

All domestic flights are in 9W coach.

How many bags am I allowed to check in on these flights? I get conflicting infromation - according to one agent (called Jet's 1-800 number), I can check in two bags, 50 lbs each, for ALL segments listed above if I show that I show a confirmed itinerary that has the US a the point of departure. However, another agent said that I can check in two bags only for the very first 9W flight after I land in DEL and the very last 9W flight that "feeds" into my departure to the US. Both agents said that I could purchase tickets in either Indian Rupees (INR) or USD, but the baggage restrictions would remain in place.

Can someone who has done this before please clarify?

Also, I find that tickets purchased in Indian Rupees seem significantly cheaper. Can I purchase such tickets with a US Credit card?

Thanks.

PHL_roadwarrior Jun 3, 2008 4:19 pm

I have been allowed 2 heavy ("trans-atlantic") bags on domestic legs on 9W by just mentioning to the (really nice) check-in agent that I am a trans-atlantic passenger on multiple occasions.......even if my last 9w leg didn't feed into my international itinerary.....however, YMMV.

hserus Jun 4, 2008 5:45 am

Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer (Post 9820982)
Also, I find that tickets purchased in Indian Rupees seem significantly cheaper. Can I purchase such tickets with a US Credit card?
Thanks.

Yes, use a booking engine like www.cleartrip.com

enjoystravel Jun 7, 2008 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer (Post 9820982)
I'm flying into DEL and will then fly 9W for a bunch of domestic (and to Nepal) flights:

DEL - KTM - DEL
DEL - BLR - Pune - BOM - DEL

All domestic flights are in 9W coach.

How many bags am I allowed to check in on these flights? I get conflicting infromation - according to one agent (called Jet's 1-800 number), I can check in two bags, 50 lbs each, for ALL segments listed above if I show that I show a confirmed itinerary that has the US a the point of departure. However, another agent said that I can check in two bags only for the very first 9W flight after I land in DEL and the very last 9W flight that "feeds" into my departure to the US. Both agents said that I could purchase tickets in either Indian Rupees (INR) or USD, but the baggage restrictions would remain in place.

Can someone who has done this before please clarify?

Thanks.

Keep a copy of your intnl boarding pass if you arrived and they almost always allow you to check in 2 bags of 50 lbs each. If you are outbound again make sure that you have the necessary itinerary clearly showing connection to an outbound flt after various segments the same day or same route. Also, I have seen people pull out their US passports or greencards and talk nicely to agents and see luggage approved. A lot of discretion rests on the checkin agents. If you argue and yell, they'll quote some rule and charge you by weight.