Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Need lowest fare for travel from Seattle, WA to Hyderabad, India

Old Apr 2, 08, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

I need to depart from Seattle, WA anytime after 6PM on April 18th or on April 19th(anytime this day). If there is a sizable difference in the price, i would also consider leaving on 20th April. The destination is Hyderabad, India. I have to return back to Seattle on May 4th by midnight. Could anyone please let me know if there are any good prices on this itinerary? I would preferably leave Seattle April 19th or late evening on April 18th and return back on May 4th, so that I could spend as much time as possible at Hyderabad. Thank you in advance. Would greatly appreciate the help. I did post in the Travel Buzz section too. Sorry for spamming.
Old Apr 2, 08, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Cross-posting is not allowed on Flyertalk. But since we always allow new members a bit of leeway until they get the lay of the land, we will move this thread to the Airlines of India forum where, I'm betting, some folks may be able to help you out.

Best of luck!

Old Apr 3, 08, 2:06 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
You're likely to find the best prices two ways -

1. Going to farechase.yahoo.com / kayak.com / matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego/ to figure out rates and then calling the airline to book

or

2. Book from a travel agent in whatever part of Seattle has the most indians (like little india in sfo)
Old Apr 3, 08, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Good prices, good connections and short notice don't go together. Depending on how lucky you get, expect to pay $1400-1600 at this time for a moderately bad connection.

Search kayak, orbitz, vayama, as well as individual airlines. Vayama is less well known but pretty good. Friday departures are usually more expensive, so you may have better luck leaving on Saturday 4/19. Talk to an ethnic Indian travel agency in Seattle to see what they have to offer. A good international travel agency for India is "Make My Trip" (1800-INDIA-10). They have branches in US as well as India and I can recommend them from past personal experience.

You do have to act and decide fast. Good luck. Let's know what you find. You are welcome to pm me if you have any question.

Later Edit- The best price I found is on NW/KLM (nwa.com), $1415 for 3/19 departure and 5/4 return. This is a special promo only available at their website. You can try to do better, but that would be a long shot and unless you find something right away I'd book this one as soon as you are, because changes are expensive.

Last edited by aktchi; Apr 3, 08 at 3:53 pm
Old Apr 3, 08, 12:49 pm

Programs: *A Gold, LH SEN, UA 2P, AC Prestige
Lowest seems to be QR via IAD and DOH, around 1200... NW via DTW and AMS is around 1500
Old Apr 3, 08, 1:12 pm

Electrique, where did you see the Qatar fare? On ITA search for 4/18,19 - 5/3,4 Qatar prices at $1588. At NWA site, the ticket is bookable for $1415; this is one of those special promotions only available from NW and not released to search engines.

If the OP can get anything close to 1200, he should book it in a heartbeat without looking further.

PS. I see Orbitz is showing UA + QR combo at $1200 base price and $1600 total. maybe that's what you meant. The return connection is bad (overnight in DC, so with hotel think of it as $1700 fare) but QR is a good airline.

Last edited by aktchi; Apr 3, 08 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 3, 08, 1:48 pm

Programs: *A Gold, LH SEN, UA 2P, AC Prestige
Right, it's not the greatest way to go to India, but at least you are accustomed to a lack of comfort when you board the last flight (after 14 hrs of waiting at IAD) to enjoy 5.5 hours on an UA 320. Ouch
Old Apr 3, 08, 5:02 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP75k; HH-Gold; Hertz Gold
OP, if you don't mind connecting in BOM, continental.com is showing ~$1300 from SEA to BOM. You can purchase a BOM-HYD leg for <$150 through one of the many Indian travel sites/airlines (makemytrip.co.in, 9W, IT, etc.). If you book via CO on the phone, they will gladly sell a BOM-HYD on IT along with your SEA-EWR-BOM. But if you book the same BOM-HYD directly through the IT website (i.e., unrelated to CO), your total fare is likely to be cheaper.

For a Sunday return, the LH flight from HYD is going to be more expensive (R/T >/~$1700).

Note the key phrase above, "if you don't mind connecting in BOM".
Old Apr 3, 08, 10:07 pm

Although buying the domestic Indian ticket on your own is often a good way to save money and I have done this many times, it may not be suitable for everyone. First, your luggage allowance declines considerably. Second, and most important if your flight is delayed for any reason, the next airline has no responsibility to accommodate you. These problems don't arise when the entire itinerary is on one ticket. One should weigh these considerations carefully.
Old Apr 4, 08, 8:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
try Kayak.com. It's a relatively unknown search system which does all the searches for you by dummy bookings & presents the results - including the websites which you can book them on. If the link doesn't work, just google it.

I'd strongly recommend BA. Vastly superior offering to LH Intercontinental Y which resembles something out of the 80's...
Old Apr 4, 08, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyboy777 View Post
try Kayak.com. It's a relatively unknown search system...
Kayak unknown?

I'd strongly recommend BA. Vastly superior offering to LH...
Whatever the flaws that LH suffers from, this may not be the best time in one's life to risk passing through London's Heathrow Airport.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/04/04/ba.terminal5

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1127737.php

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...-heathrow.html

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/...e/heathrow.php

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p....7oQg&refer=uk
Old Apr 6, 08, 10:08 pm

I hope OP's plans are going well. Not sure if he read any of this. It is a little disheartening when someone asks a question, we make sincere efforts to help, and they never come back to even acknowledge. Oh well, goes with the territory I suppose.

Search this Thread