Kingfisher First 'butler service' - tip?

Old Mar 21, 08, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Kingfisher First 'butler service' - tip?

Hi all

So I'm going to fly Kingfisher First next week for the first time and excited I am. Read a report on airliners.net that we all get 'butlers' to look after us from the minute we check-in until our hand-luggage is stowed in the overhead locker.

Question - do I tip for this? I'm thinking no but advice would be appreciated. If you say yes to tipping - how much?

Cheers

lme ff
Old Mar 21, 08, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Hi all

So I'm going to fly Kingfisher First next week for the first time and excited I am. Read a report on airliners.net that we all get 'butlers' to look after us from the minute we check-in until our hand-luggage is stowed in the overhead locker.

Question - do I tip for this? I'm thinking no but advice would be appreciated. If you say yes to tipping - how much?

Cheers

lme ff
No.

Remember .. or rather, remember your history lessons of the days of the Maharajahs... do they tip their servants?

Its part of the service. And a pretty good one at that!

Makes SQ's el-expensive A380 fares look ridiculous. I mean SQ doesn't even offer an on board chef, or even limousine service for the extra dosh that they want!
Old Mar 22, 08, 11:25 am

The bulter is no more than a gate agent who takes your bags and checks you in for your flight. The only other difference you will notice is the KF has separate buses to take passengers to /from the aircraft. So not much waiting for the bus to fill up.
Old Mar 22, 08, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by rsh913 View Post
The bulter is no more than a gate agent who takes your bags and checks you in for your flight.
No! No!

I believe the hype! They are my personal butler. It sez so on airliners.net and on the IT website

Seriously - I love flying and this sounds very cool. Kingfisher plus the A380 are the two highlights of the next 13 days for me.

Cheers all

lme ff
Old Mar 22, 08, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
I hope you're on a slightly longer flt

IT does offer very personalized service for their First class. Even in economy they provide good service but First is truly outstanding.

Unfortunately most flts in India are very short (except for hovering in the air waiting for ATC or runway slots). Hope you're on one of the longer segments.
Old Mar 29, 08, 1:35 pm

How long is the DEL-BOM flight? I think the last time I flew it was about 1.5-2 hours. Then I had to change to go to HBX.

I am planning on another trip in the summer or late summer, and looking at my options. I flew coach last year on Kingfisher and do not remember having a first class cabin on my DEL-BOM flight. I think there is NO FC on BOM-HBX as they only fly the RJ type jets into HBX.

Ticket prices seem resonable for coach, and even FC (compared to US). Question is -

Is it worth the extra money on DEL-BOM? Also, lately I have heard several reports on the inordinate amount of ATC delays of aircrafts circling for 30-60 mins before landing. If so, a 3hr flight might be worth it, but what are the chances of that happening on day flight to BOM?
Old Mar 29, 08, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
DEL-BOM is well, 1.5 to 2 hours as you say. And there's usually Y and J, no F or domestic F.

BOM-HBX (hell, I didnt even know HBX had an airport at all) is operated by DN - probably with an IT codeshare number, and you wont find RJ jets, DN's smaller destinations are serviced by ATR prop birds.

Originally Posted by vrbaba View Post
How long is the DEL-BOM flight? I think the last time I flew it was about 1.5-2 hours. Then I had to change to go to HBX.

I am planning on another trip in the summer or late summer, and looking at my options. I flew coach last year on Kingfisher and do not remember having a first class cabin on my DEL-BOM flight. I think there is NO FC on BOM-HBX as they only fly the RJ type jets into HBX.

Ticket prices seem resonable for coach, and even FC (compared to US). Question is -

Is it worth the extra money on DEL-BOM? Also, lately I have heard several reports on the inordinate amount of ATC delays of aircrafts circling for 30-60 mins before landing. If so, a 3hr flight might be worth it, but what are the chances of that happening on day flight to BOM?
Old Mar 30, 08, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by hserus View Post
BOM-HBX (hell, I didnt even know HBX had an airport at all) is operated by DN - probably with an IT codeshare number, and you wont find RJ jets, DN's smaller destinations are serviced by ATR prop birds.
It was a Kingfisher jet last year with Kingfisher crew. No DN. HBX just started an airport like 2 years ago. There was a huge project going on in expanding the airport to accommodate bigger jets, serve more areas, etc. Not sure wheres that at now.

But to my original question, Kingfisher's website shows 'Kingfisher First' availability. Im guessing you are saying thats its J class instead of F class? Whats the difference? and is it worth it for DEL-BOM?
Old Mar 30, 08, 5:14 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Well, its a two class plane with seating comparable to "regional J". You can find pics of that product if you search around images.google.com. There's a meal service, hot towels etc. And some priority service on the ground (though as security and bag scanning are the real issues..)

For a 1:30 flight it just isnt worth it, I guess. Not unless work's paying for it, or it is a domestic segment tagged on as a connecting flight to an international ticket in J (becomes much cheaper overall, that way)

Search this Thread