Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

NEWS! Jet Airways (9W) now a FULL AAdvantage Partner

Old Feb 15, 08, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals

Breaking news. Jet Airways has become a full partner in AAdvantage program starting today, Feb 15, 2008. That means you can credit miles for all of your Jet flights to AAdvantage. Also, YOU CAN REDEEM AAdvantage miles for 9W flights!

I just booked one Y BOM-(9W)-EWR-(AA)-ORD R/T for 75K AAdvantage miles. This is great news for frequent traveller to/from India.

http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...lines/main.jsp

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...jetAirways.jsp

Cheers!
Old Feb 15, 08, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by jeelele View Post
Breaking news. Jet Airways has become a full partner in AAdvantage program starting today, Feb 15, 2008. That means you can credit miles for all of your Jet flights to AAdvantage. Also, YOU CAN REDEEM AAdvantage miles for 9W flights!

I just booked one Y BOM-(9W)-EWR-(AA)-ORD R/T for 75K AAdvantage miles. This is great news for frequent traveller to/from India.

http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...lines/main.jsp

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...jetAirways.jsp

Cheers!
The question is whether 9w is giving EQM's on AA...

It doesn't explicitly state that - according to the Jet Airways e-mail of tonight:

"American Airlines - Airline and Codeshare Partner: Earn and redeem JPMiles on all flights of American Airlines and its regional airline partner, American Eagle, to over 250 cities around the world including in Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Latin America.

Fly Jet Airways to Washington Reagan, Dallas, Boston, Cleveland, Baltimore and Raleigh–Durham out of New York (JFK) on codeshare flights operated by American Airlines. What's more earn JPMiles, Tier bonus and Cabin bonus on our codeshare flights.
"

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Feb 15, 08 at 12:28 pm
Old Feb 15, 08, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
The question is whether 9w is giving EQM's on AA...

It doesn't explicitly state that - according to the Jet Airways e-mail of tonight:

"American Airlines - Airline and Codeshare Partner: Earn and redeem JPMiles on all flights of American Airlines and its regional airline partner, American Eagle, to over 250 cities around the world including in Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Latin America.

Fly Jet Airways to Washington Reagan, Dallas, Boston, Cleveland, Baltimore and Raleigh–Durham out of New York (JFK) on codeshare flights operated by American Airlines. What's more earn JPMiles, Tier bonus and Cabin bonus on our codeshare flights.
"

Good point. Only miles earned on OneWorld partners count as EQMs on AA. No other partner airline miles count towards EQM except AS. According to me, this move brings 9W closer to being a part of OW and thus earning EQMs. This could happen sooner than what one can imagine.
Old Feb 15, 08, 2:38 pm

Programs: TK E+, BA Gold, Marriott/HH Gold, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Sweet! 60/80K for C/F redemptions on 9W for LHR-BOM RT

jeelele, how hard was it to book your 9W award? Was AA able to confirm availability over the phone or did they have to request it from 9W?
Old Feb 15, 08, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Savage25 View Post
Sweet! 60/80K for C/F redemptions on 9W for LHR-BOM RT

jeelele, how hard was it to book your 9W award? Was AA able to confirm availability over the phone or did they have to request it from 9W?

It was already in their search engine. Confirmed over the phone. Booked into X for Y. Although, it took a few minutes for the agent to confirm the miles needed for the redemption. She then confirmed that all the redemptions are at the same level as the partner redemptions.

Last edited by jeelele; Feb 15, 08 at 3:24 pm
Old Feb 15, 08, 2:52 pm

Programs: TK E+, BA Gold, Marriott/HH Gold, IC Amb, Hertz PC
It was already in their search engine. Confirmed over the phone. Booked into X for Y. Although, it a few minutes for the agent to confirm the miles needed for the redemption. She then confirmed that all the redemptions are at the same level as the partner redemptions.
Good to know...thanks!
Old Feb 15, 08, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Good point. Only miles earned on OneWorld partners count as EQMs on AA. No other partner airline miles count towards EQM except AS. According to me, this move brings 9W closer to being a part of OW and thus earning EQMs. This could happen sooner than what one can imagine.
I sure hope so. Because you see, IT (Kingfisher) already earns EQMs on CO and NW. But not, I regret to say, on AF/KL Flying Blue (only RDM). Ugh. Given the way KL and NW are joined at the hip, I do wish they'd be a bit consistent in their FFP.
Old Feb 16, 08, 2:04 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This confirms for me that there is a G-d or gods or something of that nature. Finally these flights will be worth something for me.
Old Feb 17, 08, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA GFL, Amex Centurion, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Shangri-La Diamond
Then again, BA just severed its ties with 9W a couple of weeks ago, after 9W announced its partnership with VS.

Also, I think 9W is big competition with BA on its UK / US traffic from India, hence BA would probably be not too keen to let it in.

I still hope it joins OW though...
Old Feb 18, 08, 2:54 am

Can I use AA miles to redeem for domestic flights on 9W?
Old Feb 18, 08, 7:39 am

Yes you can. But domestic flights are upto 2:30 hours or so tops and there's little or no point burning AA miles for them. 15K in Y, 30K in C air france miles to redeem a domestic ticket on 9W for example, when the actual ticket cost is often below $300.
Old Feb 18, 08, 9:57 am

Except that I fly last minute in India all the time that's over Rs 10,000 o/w
Old Feb 18, 08, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by mesadler View Post
Except that I fly last minute in India all the time that's over Rs 10,000 o/w
Yup. That $300 was the worst case I mentioned - $300 x 40 = INR 12000. Well, 39.75 or so in practice but bank exchange rates and such need to be factored in. Still not worth blowing 15K miles for a Y ticket.

ps: What makes you think award inventory will always be available for last minute trips?
Old Feb 18, 08, 10:26 am

Rs 20,000 is $500, so 15K is 3cpm.

That is...unless the 15k is for one-way
Old Feb 19, 08, 4:27 pm

Redemption on Transpacific flights

Hope AA also allows mileage redemption to India on transpacific flights, that should open up mileage redemption on 9W's new BOM-SFO flight when it starts up, the last time I redeemed my AA miles for an award tickets to India, I was told that all routings had to be transatlantic, unless one used a OneWorld award.

Search this Thread