Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI J-class fare cheaper than Y-class fare!!

Old Feb 5, 08, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I was planning a trip to Delhi on AI's new JFK-DEL service, and did a search on Orbitz for a departure date of : Apr 17 and return on Apr 22 (NYC-DEL on AI102 and DEL-NYC on AI101). The search pulls up a fare of $6,123 for a coach-class round-trip ticket, Business class on the same flights is available for $5,036 round-trip. So, one will save $1087 traveling business on AI instead of coach. Guess AI would be the first airline to price its coach class tickets higher than its business class tickets, wonder if any other airlines have tried this strategy before...

Last edited by nischalb; Feb 5, 08 at 12:25 pm
Old Feb 5, 08, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by nischalb View Post
I was planning a trip to Delhi on AI's new JFK-DEL service, and did a search on Orbitz for a departure date of : Apr 17 and return on Apr 22 (NYC-DEL on AI102 and DEL-NYC on AI101). The search pulls up a fare of $6,123 for a coach-class round-trip ticket, Business class on the same flights is available for $5,036 round-trip. So, one will save $1087 traveling business on AI instead of coach. Guess AI would be the first airline to price its coach class tickets higher than its business class tickets, wonder if any other airlines have tried this strategy before...
Your title needs to be changed. I guess you meant J class cheaper than Y and not the other way around.

As regards AI's pricing, This could be a mistake or done intentionally. You will be surprised if you do a search on UA.com, there are many many instances where the Business fare is cheaper than a Refundable Y fare. This is brand new route for AI, and they might be promoting the new biz class.
Old Feb 6, 08, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum
How do you ge a Rupee quote flying US-India return? Do you have an Indian credit card to pay in Indian Rupee?

Old Feb 8, 08, 10:38 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
How do you ge a Rupee quote flying US-India return? Do you have an Indian credit card to pay in Indian Rupee?
Did anyone mention rupees here?

If your Indian credit card is an "international" one (I'm assuming most *are* able to purchase abroad, albeit with the now *3.5%* premium!), then you should be able to use your cc to purchase the $ fare!
Old Feb 8, 08, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
Refundable, full-fare coach vs restricted business

First of all, I don't think the comparison is between Y and J. It must be one of the subclasses of business with restrictions. Y is unrestricted and most airlines price Y in the range you mentioned for NYC-DEL.

You will find much cheaper fares on AI's website, though it is a pathetic site to navigate forget purchasing online. Most Travel Agents who specialize in selling tickets to India, will offer deeply discounted coach fares as well. Do not forget to ask them for mileage accruing fares if you care about that - most consolidator fares do not accrue miles.

Search this Thread