Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Kingfisher to introduce BLR-SFO nonstop flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kingfisher to introduce BLR-SFO nonstop flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gmailflyer
Air India is offering promotional fares on its non-stops during non-peak times in the range of $1000.
Sure they do. So I have to pay 300-450$ to get to NYC (only DTW-LGA is cheap) plus 1000$ to BOM/DEL and another 100-200$ to CCU. Plus I have the lingering fear that AI will strand/delay me at some point, either cutting short my visit on the outbound or making me miss work on the inbound. Not really my cup of chai. Gimme a simple transfer via FRA on a relatively more reliable airline any day.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002

Don't get me wrong: I would love to fly on a NW 787 from DTW to CCU for 1000$ to visit my mother for a few days or vice versa, but I'm not counting on it in the next 5-10 years.
On NW, WAS-DEL K fare is $1700 plus while WAS-BKK K fare is just over $900 at the same time--- almost half the fare to a destination about 25% farther. Once the capacity to India improves, that should change. BUt I am not holding my breath for it.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just like with everything else, the infrastructure can't grow fast enough to keep up with the sudden growth. It may sound strange, but only LH & 9W have aggressively expanded in terms of capacities, destinations and frequencies. That is the only way you can work around restricted bilaterals and congested airports.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:48 am

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
Routing via BKK

Originally Posted by Yaatri
On NW, WAS-DEL K fare is $1700 plus while WAS-BKK K fare is just over $900 at the same time--- almost half the fare to a destination about 25% farther. Once the capacity to India improves, that should change. BUt I am not holding my breath for it.
You hit upon a secret for J class travel to India. If you're traveling on your own dime and are cost sensitive but prefer J class, your best best is to route via BKK. Flts to BKK seem to be full in Y and not that full in J and so you often see very competitive J fares (and local market conditions do support this). With increased connectivity to BKK from various Indian cities you don't lose much on schedule (BLR had two flts a day on some peak days this winter; JetLite without J class is starting Amritsar to BKK I believe).

I do hope that Indian routes get competitive to BKK. I don't expect J fares to India to ever go to the low levels of BKK fares even with increased capacity. Carriers expect different things from Indian market than from BKK market.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
deleted - duplication
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure if there is enough traffic for a daily A345 on BLR-SFO or for MAA-SFO. It may be feasible if Kingfisher code shares this flight or joins an alliance, or the flight is SFO-BLR-MAA or HYD.

The reason LH and other airlines are full because they draw passengers from many cities in US and from several european cities to BLR.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by hyho61
Not sure if there is enough traffic for a daily A345 on BLR-SFO or for MAA-SFO. It may be feasible if Kingfisher code shares this flight or joins an alliance, or the flight is SFO-BLR-MAA or HYD.

The reason LH and other airlines are full because they draw passengers from many cities in US and from several european cities to BLR.
Chennai I don't know about because I don't know too much about the city but Bangalore - San Francisco is almost a guarenteed revenue earner with a non-stop. Why? It links the two silicon valleys of the worlds with businessmen & freight (perhaps the most important sources of income for an airline) flying between them like crazy. Whilst there are literally dozens of multistop options (over the Pacific as well as the Atlantic), this flight will generate enough demand because it is a non-stop.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
SFO-BLR and SFO-MAA

Originally Posted by flyboy777
Chennai I don't know about because I don't know too much about the city but Bangalore - San Francisco is almost a guarenteed revenue earner with a non-stop. Why? It links the two silicon valleys of the worlds with businessmen & freight (perhaps the most important sources of income for an airline) flying between them like crazy. Whilst there are literally dozens of multistop options (over the Pacific as well as the Atlantic), this flight will generate enough demand because it is a non-stop.
I fly SFO-BLR a lot. Even though I like to believe that no-stop SFO-BLR will be a dense route, I'm not convinced that it is. First of all, BA, AF, CX, LH, SQ, TG, 9W, etc. are not going to let the non stop flights steal all traffic. This means that they'll offer competitive fares on their hub flights (all except CX already fly to BLR from their hubs and CX will use DragonAir to fly to BLR in 2008; 9W is expected to launch BLR-BRU connecting to its European hub when the new BLR airport get going soon). On a recent BA flt (7 AM dept BLR, connecting LHR at 13:30 PM), I found out that there were just < 20 pax in the entire 747 on a fairly packed plane connecting to SFO. LH did have a slightly higher traffic on a recent BLR-FRA-SFO flt. I think while non-stop will be attractive, many pax will choose one-stop flts for FF reasons or to avoid coach on extended flts especially due to price competitiveness. I am not yet sure if both AI and King Fisher can operate non-stops on this route this year. We'll have to wait and see.

The one factor that may help BLR-SFO be lucrative to the airlines is if they can pick up time sensitive cargo contracts especially of high value, light weight items. I don't know how big this market is as neither SFO or BLR are major gateways for physical goods exports.

AI obviously believes that DEL and BOM are higher priority for non-stops to the US. BLR-SFO seems to be the next on the list. For Kingfisher, BLR being its home base BLR-SFO does make sense.

With the non-stop to BLR there will be some connecting traffic to South India that will prefer BLR over congested DEL or BOM. Local connections from BLR to MAA and HYD and smaller towns in AP, Tamil Nadu and Kerala should be a breeze. I sure hope BLR-SFO becomes reality soon and becomes profitable to multiple carriers.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by enjoystravel
I fly SFO-BLR a lot. Even though I like to believe that no-stop SFO-BLR will be a dense route, I'm not convinced that it is. First of all, BA, AF, CX, LH, SQ, TG, 9W, etc. are not going to let the non stop flights steal all traffic. This means that they'll offer competitive fares on their hub flights (all except CX already fly to BLR from their hubs and CX will use DragonAir to fly to BLR in 2008; 9W is expected to launch BLR-BRU connecting to its European hub when the new BLR airport get going soon). On a recent BA flt (7 AM dept BLR, connecting LHR at 13:30 PM), I found out that there were just < 20 pax in the entire 747 on a fairly packed plane connecting to SFO. LH did have a slightly higher traffic on a recent BLR-FRA-SFO flt. I think while non-stop will be attractive, many pax will choose one-stop flts for FF reasons or to avoid coach on extended flts especially due to price competitiveness. I am not yet sure if both AI and King Fisher can operate non-stops on this route this year. We'll have to wait and see.

The one factor that may help BLR-SFO be lucrative to the airlines is if they can pick up time sensitive cargo contracts especially of high value, light weight items. I don't know how big this market is as neither SFO or BLR are major gateways for physical goods exports.

AI obviously believes that DEL and BOM are higher priority for non-stops to the US. BLR-SFO seems to be the next on the list. For Kingfisher, BLR being its home base BLR-SFO does make sense.

With the non-stop to BLR there will be some connecting traffic to South India that will prefer BLR over congested DEL or BOM. Local connections from BLR to MAA and HYD and smaller towns in AP, Tamil Nadu and Kerala should be a breeze. I sure hope BLR-SFO becomes reality soon and becomes profitable to multiple carriers.
Your taking it out of perspective. Yes, BA & other airlines will be keen to keep the traffic, but an daily A340-500 (about 2/3 the size of a B747-400) can't make up every single seat available between the two cities. This is a premium non-stop service that no-doubt will probably be more expensive than the indirects anyway. The hints we're getting from the press releases is that this ain't going to be an ordinary economy class...

Time sensitive freight will also fill this flight very easily & pay for itself & perhaps even subsidise Y. That said, I doubt such a move would be very wise since the route is in very high demand. The connecting traffic issue will only boost loads since there are currently no non-stop flights from the West Coast to India or any flights at all to the west coast by an Indian carrier.

Finally, carriers such as BA make plenty of money on the O&D demand for their San Francisco flights. BA fly double daily to SFO using B747s with 104+ flat beds each direction everyday. The difference in 20 connecting passengers, most probably in Y would be relatively minimal. Connecting passenger whilst good for loads, are not necessarily good for yields which is what ultimately matters.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:31 am

Apparently Kingfisher will start LHR flights at "around the same time" as the SFO route, although not necessarily with an A340-500

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ow-this-summer
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingloweroverdover
Apparently Kingfisher will start LHR flights at "around the same time" as the SFO route, although not necessarily with an A340-500

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ow-this-summer
I beleive the intial Heathrow flights (BOM & BLR) will be operated by A330-200s...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ght=kingfisher
post #21.

IT 021/022 (eff. 01JUN08)
BOM dep 1300 LHR arr 1830 dep 2100 BOM arr 1030+1

IT 031/032 (eff. 01AUG08)
BLR dep 0645 LHR arr 1300 dep 1500 BLR arr 0515+1

5x A340-500s used for BLR-SFO followed by BLR-EWR. Each needs one bird in either direction. Could possibly mean that a sole A340-500 may fly daily to India although I think the 5th aircraft will be delivered much later than June...
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:01 am

I beleive the intial Heathrow flights (BOM & BLR) will be operated by A330-200s...

IT 021/022 (eff. 01JUN08)
BOM dep 1300 LHR arr 1830 dep 2100 BOM arr 1030+1

IT 031/032 (eff. 01AUG08)
BLR dep 0645 LHR arr 1300 dep 1500 BLR arr 0515+1

Change in plans. They will only operate the BOM-LHR route this summer, effective from 28AUG08. The timings will require both A330s to run the route.

IT 021/022
BOM dep 0920 LHR arr 1450 dep 2200 BOM arr 1130+1

They should be making a formal announcement about these flights within the next few weeks.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:03 pm
Suspended

BLR-SFO nonstop is not likely to materialise anytime soon. There just isn't enough traffic to justify a nonstop. The route maybe important to a core group but I am not so sue it would be a revenue generator overall. With severe downturn in the U.S economy and it's spill over to the Indian IT exports combined with higher Rupee (although it had gone down the last few weeks) the travel budget of companies in BLR and SFO would come under severe pressure.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Change in plans. They will only operate the BOM-LHR route this summer, effective from 28AUG08. The timings will require both A330s to run the route.

IT 021/022
BOM dep 0920 LHR arr 1450 dep 2200 BOM arr 1130+1

They should be making a formal announcement about these flights within the next few weeks.
Why the change in slots... it makes for a very inefficent use of aircraft. I guess the A330s will be employed on domestic sectors or something...

Originally Posted by Yaatri
BLR-SFO nonstop is not likely to materialise anytime soon. There just isn't enough traffic to justify a nonstop. The route maybe important to a core group but I am not so sue it would be a revenue generator overall. With severe downturn in the U.S economy and it's spill over to the Indian IT exports combined with higher Rupee (although it had gone down the last few weeks) the travel budget of companies in BLR and SFO would come under severe pressure.
If you read previous posts, you'll see why there's plenty of demand up front, down back (don't forget the connections) & down below in the hold. If you discount the weak American market, the Indian market will simply exploit this flight themselves...

I thought the flight was to begin in the late summer, is that soon enough?
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
If you read previous posts, you'll see why there's plenty of demand up front, down back (don't forget the connections) & down below in the hold. If you discount the weak American market, the Indian market will simply exploit this flight themselves...
^ to not transiting DEL or BOM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.