FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Jet LHR-BOM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/747475-jet-lhr-bom.html)

prishacoby Oct 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Jet LHR-BOM

My husband just booked a flight to travel to india
Virgin JFK-LHR
and Jet LHR-BOM

has anyone traveled this route on Jet. He is in Economy. is it good. how about food and service

Thanks

drbala Oct 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Excellent Service

Jet airways has an excellent inflight service in economy and in my personal experience is much better than BA and VS. It is very similar to CX and SQ

prishacoby Oct 18, 2007 10:25 am

actually he planned to book on AI non-stop to mumbai but did not have the courage as we had a extremely bad experience with AI 7 years back. we just wanted to test waters and see how Jet and VA are. we have never traveled in either. Thank you for the info. it eases our fear a little. as he is traveling on Dec 28th, how full will be the flights during that time.

thanks

G-man82 Oct 18, 2007 11:34 am

Originally Posted by prishacoby (Post 8578516)
My husband just booked a flight to travel to india
Virgin JFK-LHR
and Jet LHR-BOM

has anyone traveled this route on Jet. He is in Economy. is it good. how about food and service

Thanks

My mother flew that route, the only difference being she left from EWR with VS before Jet started its EWR operations. It's an excellent route. However, she said that Jet's service and overall experience far outdid VS in every aspect in economy class. She's a vegetarian and for some reason VS does not offer the Asian Vegetarian meal outside its India routes; they offer a Hindu meal, which she ordered thinking it would be the same, only to get an Indian chicken dish. On Jet however, when she wanted masala chai, they brought it for her from Business class. The flight attendants are also usually very talkative provided that you want to talk. I believe the entertainment on both planes is AVOD. Most importantly though, Jet had toilets that were much cleaner than the ones in VS.

It's too bad you didn't book Jet all the way from the US. They fly daily from EWR to BOM via BRU now, and they start that route from JFK on the 28th of October. I'm not sure if the LHR route uses their brand new equipment and seats, but it should still be a very good experience.

B747-437B Oct 19, 2007 2:30 am

Originally Posted by G-man82 (Post 8581737)
I'm not sure if the LHR route uses their brand new equipment and seats, but it should still be a very good experience.

Jet only has "brand new equipment" in the fleet at present.

The average age of their longhaul fleet is 4 months, with the oldest aircraft only a year old and the newest about 2 weeks old.

SuperFlyBoy Oct 19, 2007 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 8585547)

The average age of their longhaul fleet is 4 months, with the oldest aircraft only a year old and the newest about 2 weeks old.

They are using their new 773-ER's (I think, as they are not showing up on Sabre) on the BOM-LHR-BOM and BOM-BRU-BOM routes at present...

AJLondon Oct 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Is the J product exactly the same on the 773, 340 and 330 longhaul aircraft of 9W.

(I'm assuming these are the only three types of longhaul aircraft they operate?)

SuperFlyBoy Oct 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 8588290)
Is the J product exactly the same on the 773, 340 and 330 longhaul aircraft of 9W.

773 is herringbone.

330/343 used to be the old straight-ahead (excellent) seats of SAA, but these days they may have been converted to herringbone - others can clarify, as I don't fly Jet internationally, as no miles on lower Y fares...(and useless redemption rates for upgrade coupons! :td:)

Better to fly LH/*A (crediting to UA) then!

G-man82 Oct 19, 2007 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 8585547)

Sorry, by "brand new" I had meant the new planes that have 3 classes of service.

SuperFlyBoy Oct 19, 2007 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by G-man82 (Post 8588724)
Sorry, by "brand new" I had meant the new planes that have 3 classes of service.

or, otherwise known as the 773-ER's.

B747-437B Oct 20, 2007 4:44 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 8588290)

The 343s have been retired from the fleet - so it is all 773/332 now.

All the 773s have the new product and all the 332s with the exception of VT-JWD (and possibly VT-JWE also) have the new product. JWD/JWE are DEL-based aircraft and operate almost exclusively on the DEL/AMD/ATQ-LHR flights.

AJLondon Oct 20, 2007 4:58 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 8591562)
The 343s have been retired from the fleet - so it is all 773/332 now.

All the 773s have the new product and all the 332s with the exception of VT-JWD (and possibly VT-JWE also) have the new product. JWD/JWE are DEL-based aircraft and operate almost exclusively on the DEL/AMD/ATQ-LHR flights.

Thank You for the clarification! ^

So is the "old" product identical to the flat bed SAA J seats? And is it possible to predict whether it is more like to get this on just the AMD/ATQ flights to LHR, or is it equally likely to have this on the DEL-LHR flights too.

And is the new herringbone product like the VS/NZ seats?