Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Birthday Off-by-One Error

Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

I booked AI tickets for one way, it didn't let me add FF for 1 passenger so I went to modify passenger details after booking. To my surprise, the birthday was -1 day to what I've entered while booking. It won't let me update due to me entering UA FF. It complains that the FF is invalid.

When I booked another set of tickets, I doubled checked our birthdays when booking. When I went to modify passenger details after booking, the birthday is -1 day once again.

Do I need to call? Is this a website error?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
I booked AI tickets for one way, it didn't let me add FF for 1 passenger so I went to modify passenger details after booking. To my surprise, the birthday was -1 day to what I've entered while booking. It won't let me update due to me entering UA FF. It complains that the FF is invalid.

When I booked another set of tickets, I doubled checked our birthdays when booking. When I went to modify passenger details after booking, the birthday is -1 day once again.

Do I need to call? Is this a website error?
You will be able to update your UA FFP during OLCI or CI. It's a AI quirk.

Your birthday doesn't matter (unless you're inviting me to have some good whisky), it's probably a timezone thing that has caused the problem, I'm guessing. It doesn't matter to FFP validation.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 3, 2023 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
You will be able to update your UA FFP during OLCI or CI. It's a AI quirk.

Your birthday doesn't matter (unless you're inviting me to have some good whisky), it's probably a timezone thing that has caused the problem, I'm guessing. It doesn't matter to FFP validation.
I don't mean FF. What about boarding?

I can always add FF with the agent when checking in
Old Dec 3, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Nobody will care. You'll be fine.

Birthdays are incorrectly submitted through most OTAs anyways. I remember Smartbuy (a popular bank OTA in India), always used to always submit my (and probably even my super young child's) year of birth as 1970 to the airlines - even though I have never selected that.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Amadeus has a known issue in the display of the birth date. I wouldn't bother.

January 1, 1970 is the base date for all date fields
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

I can always add FF with the agent when checking in
This is a known problem & I don't know anyone who has been denied boarding because of this. No one will be looking to match your birth date with your ID.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Keyser
This is a known problem & I don't know anyone who has been denied boarding because of this. No one will be looking to match your birth date with your ID.
In the States, though, this is a key verification requirement for 'Secure Flight Data" (not that the TSA has been particularly useful, but I digress). Will there be any security issues in India because of this? It happened to all 5 people on our reservation for February.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18
In the States, though, this is a key verification requirement for 'Secure Flight Data" (not that the TSA has been particularly useful, but I digress). Will there be any security issues in India because of this? It happened to all 5 people on our reservation for February.
No problem in India.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by dmarge18
My family all has Global Entry which comes with TSA pre-check. My father used this for many year but at some point last year, we don't know how, his date of birth was updated on the Trusted Traveler site. Now that the date was not matching his date on the ID, he would not get pre-check & was questioned by the TSA every time he flew. I had to upload his details again to correct the date before this problem went away.

But here in India there is no such thing. No one will be looking to match the date of birth on your ID with what is loaded on the ticket details.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 10:58 am

In India, the ID is checked only at the door of the airport by the police. They match name with your ticket (and the ticket doesn't show DOB). For domestic flights, the check-in agent won't look at your ID.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.