Vistara or Air India

Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:23 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: أمريكا
Posts: 26,718
Vistara or Air India

Flying DEL-SIN in J - better to go with Vistara A321 or Air India 788?

Flight times and prices are similar, so mostly looking for comfort and service.
Doppy is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 3,216
UK any day.

The 321s though narrow bodies have full flat beds...
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:19 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: KFEG, UK Gold
Posts: 159
Vistara any day if you care about service quality.
manish83 is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Posts: 4,755
Originally Posted by manish83
Vistara any day if you care about service quality.
Same for domestic India, such as Delhi to Bangalore, despite AI's acquisition by Tata? How about a quick comparison between the airlines in a) domestic economy, and b) domestic business. Thanks...
Explore is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:34 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 29,516
Another vote for UK.
Keyser is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:05 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 3,216
Originally Posted by Explore
Same for domestic India, such as Delhi to Bangalore, despite AI's acquisition by Tata? How about a quick comparison between the airlines in a) domestic economy, and b) domestic business. Thanks...
UK. It's a "no contest". AI has lots of work to do before it can compete with UK on soft or hard products.

The main advantages AI has is *A & 25kg domestic Y allowance vs. 15 kgs with UK.

For <2 hours of short domestic flying, I would pick the one which had a schedule and baggage allowance that worked for me. Both would be more than acceptable in J & Y.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Nov 2, 2023 at 5:11 am
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:15 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goa, India
Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Posts: 1,263
The 788 is definitely more spacious than the 321 in business especially when full flat and trying to sleep. Soft product will be nearly the same on both, service levels on Vistara will be better.
Anish is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:51 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 3,216
Originally Posted by Anish
The 788 is definitely more spacious than the 321 in business especially when full flat and trying to sleep. Soft product will be nearly the same on both, service levels on Vistara will be better.
The cabin of a dreamliner would feel more spacious. UK's seat I feel is as bigger if not bigger than AI's. The AI 788 middle row would get aisle access without being disturbed by your neighbour. Otherwise they're both annoying in that regard.

Also, IFE and IFC would go to UK.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:29 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 2,334
Vistara is any day a better experience in every regard, however, I would fly AI if it were meaningfully cheaper in the same cabin, which it often is these days. Caveat - if you're on the taller side, the AI 787 seat is really short and you won't fit in the bed.
cricketer is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 3:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VPS, previously SEA and PIT
Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,164
It seems everyone is picking UK for hard/soft product, but what about reliability (both on-time and with checked baggage)? We'll need to go DEL-BLR and then BLR-DEL connecting to a separate reservation on VS, so don't want to risk delays or lost baggage. UK seems to allow a lot less baggage weight for checked and doesn't allow a personal item on top of the one carry-on, which could be a deal breaker.
dmarge18 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 3,216
Originally Posted by dmarge18
It seems everyone is picking UK for hard/soft product, but what about reliability (both on-time and with checked baggage)? We'll need to go DEL-BLR and then BLR-DEL connecting to a separate reservation on VS, so don't want to risk delays or lost baggage. UK seems to allow a lot less baggage weight for checked and doesn't allow a personal item on top of the one carry-on, which could be a deal breaker.
Both of them have fairly good reliability. With winter smog in DEL, I would add plenty of buffer in case I needed to make an international connection.

In Y, UK allows only 15kgs vs. 25 on AI. However, UK also allows you to prepay for luggage at a slightly reduced price if you are connecting from a separate international flight.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goa, India
Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Posts: 1,263
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
However, UK also allows you to prepay for luggage at a slightly reduced price if you are connecting from a separate international flight.
Do you have a link to this? I've never been able to find discounted intl connection baggage on UK.
Anish is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VPS, previously SEA and PIT
Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,164
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Both of them have fairly good reliability. With winter smog in DEL, I would add plenty of buffer in case I needed to make an international connection.

In Y, UK allows only 15kgs vs. 25 on AI. However, UK also allows you to prepay for luggage at a slightly reduced price if you are connecting from a separate international flight.
Flight would be a Friday evening/night in late February. Would 4:40 between flights be enough (need to get bags, check in, clear customs/Indian security, etc.)?

Thanks for the tip on pre-paying bags. How early in advance can you prepay? Or I should say late in advance--day before once I actually pack?
dmarge18 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:49 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 3,216
Originally Posted by Anish
Do you have a link to this? I've never been able to find discounted intl connection baggage on UK.
Interesting. It used to be here... https://www.airvistara.com/in/en/tra...gage-allowance and was if I remember correctly priced roughly the same as 6E @ Rs. 200/kg.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 3,216
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Flight would be a Friday evening/night in late February. Would 4:40 between flights be enough (need to get bags, check in, clear customs/Indian security, etc.)?

Thanks for the tip on pre-paying bags. How early in advance can you prepay? Or I should say late in advance--day before once I actually pack?
Late Feb should not face much weather related delays and DEL has been performing quite well in this regard in the last couple of years. So you should be OK.

4:40 hours should be enough between flights.

You can prepay as soon as you buy your ticket. But certainly at least 6 hours before scheduled departure to get the best rates. https://www.airvistara.com/in/en/pla...excess-baggage
dmarge18 likes this.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.