Vistara or Air India

Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Vistara or Air India

Flying DEL-SIN in J - better to go with Vistara A321 or Air India 788?

Flight times and prices are similar, so mostly looking for comfort and service.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
UK any day.

The 321s though narrow bodies have full flat beds...
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:19 am

Programs: KFEG, UK Gold
Vistara any day if you care about service quality.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manish83
Vistara any day if you care about service quality.
Same for domestic India, such as Delhi to Bangalore, despite AI's acquisition by Tata? How about a quick comparison between the airlines in a) domestic economy, and b) domestic business. Thanks...
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Another vote for UK.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:05 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Explore
Same for domestic India, such as Delhi to Bangalore, despite AI's acquisition by Tata? How about a quick comparison between the airlines in a) domestic economy, and b) domestic business. Thanks...
UK. It's a "no contest". AI has lots of work to do before it can compete with UK on soft or hard products.

The main advantages AI has is *A & 25kg domestic Y allowance vs. 15 kgs with UK.

For <2 hours of short domestic flying, I would pick the one which had a schedule and baggage allowance that worked for me. Both would be more than acceptable in J & Y.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Nov 2, 2023 at 5:11 am
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
The 788 is definitely more spacious than the 321 in business especially when full flat and trying to sleep. Soft product will be nearly the same on both, service levels on Vistara will be better.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Anish
The 788 is definitely more spacious than the 321 in business especially when full flat and trying to sleep. Soft product will be nearly the same on both, service levels on Vistara will be better.
The cabin of a dreamliner would feel more spacious. UK's seat I feel is as bigger if not bigger than AI's. The AI 788 middle row would get aisle access without being disturbed by your neighbour. Otherwise they're both annoying in that regard.

Also, IFE and IFC would go to UK.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Vistara is any day a better experience in every regard, however, I would fly AI if it were meaningfully cheaper in the same cabin, which it often is these days. Caveat - if you're on the taller side, the AI 787 seat is really short and you won't fit in the bed.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
It seems everyone is picking UK for hard/soft product, but what about reliability (both on-time and with checked baggage)? We'll need to go DEL-BLR and then BLR-DEL connecting to a separate reservation on VS, so don't want to risk delays or lost baggage. UK seems to allow a lot less baggage weight for checked and doesn't allow a personal item on top of the one carry-on, which could be a deal breaker.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18
It seems everyone is picking UK for hard/soft product, but what about reliability (both on-time and with checked baggage)? We'll need to go DEL-BLR and then BLR-DEL connecting to a separate reservation on VS, so don't want to risk delays or lost baggage. UK seems to allow a lot less baggage weight for checked and doesn't allow a personal item on top of the one carry-on, which could be a deal breaker.
Both of them have fairly good reliability. With winter smog in DEL, I would add plenty of buffer in case I needed to make an international connection.

In Y, UK allows only 15kgs vs. 25 on AI. However, UK also allows you to prepay for luggage at a slightly reduced price if you are connecting from a separate international flight.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
However, UK also allows you to prepay for luggage at a slightly reduced price if you are connecting from a separate international flight.
Do you have a link to this? I've never been able to find discounted intl connection baggage on UK.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Both of them have fairly good reliability. With winter smog in DEL, I would add plenty of buffer in case I needed to make an international connection.

In Y, UK allows only 15kgs vs. 25 on AI. However, UK also allows you to prepay for luggage at a slightly reduced price if you are connecting from a separate international flight.
Flight would be a Friday evening/night in late February. Would 4:40 between flights be enough (need to get bags, check in, clear customs/Indian security, etc.)?

Thanks for the tip on pre-paying bags. How early in advance can you prepay? Or I should say late in advance--day before once I actually pack?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Anish
Do you have a link to this? I've never been able to find discounted intl connection baggage on UK.
Interesting. It used to be here... https://www.airvistara.com/in/en/tra...gage-allowance and was if I remember correctly priced roughly the same as 6E @ Rs. 200/kg.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Flight would be a Friday evening/night in late February. Would 4:40 between flights be enough (need to get bags, check in, clear customs/Indian security, etc.)?

Thanks for the tip on pre-paying bags. How early in advance can you prepay? Or I should say late in advance--day before once I actually pack?
Late Feb should not face much weather related delays and DEL has been performing quite well in this regard in the last couple of years. So you should be OK.

4:40 hours should be enough between flights.

You can prepay as soon as you buy your ticket. But certainly at least 6 hours before scheduled departure to get the best rates. https://www.airvistara.com/in/en/pla...excess-baggage
dmarge18 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.