Flight advice MAA-IXM-MAA

Old Oct 29, 2023, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Flight advice MAA-IXM-MAA

My family (9 in total) is making this trip in January. We can either fly Air India (on a jet, but once a day) or Indigo (prop plane and many options). Pricing is comparable. What would you recommend? We would return the next morning to the USA from MAA.
Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:35 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
My family (9 in total) is making this trip in January. We can either fly Air India (on a jet, but once a day) or Indigo (prop plane and many options). Pricing is comparable. What would you recommend? We would return the next morning to the USA from MAA.
Thanks!
It's less than an hour flight. So airline or plane really doesn't matter that much. I would book a flight that suits my schedule and luggage allowance.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
For such a short flight, either option is fine.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I was leaning towards Air India but was worried that if an operational issue happened, there was not a backup.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
AI's reliability has improved considerably after the Tata takeover and looking at AI672's recent performance I don't think you should face any IRROPS.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Thanks! I was leaning towards Air India but was worried that if an operational issue happened, there was not a backup.
That can happen with any airlines any where in the world. AI at worst was late but never had the kind of catastrophic failures that UA, WN etc. have had recently. So there really isnt that much to worry about.

Make sure youre not taking the last flight of the day and you probably will be covered.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Make sure youre not taking the last flight of the day and you probably will be covered.
That will prove challenging. From the OP:

"We can either fly Air India (on a jet, but once a day) . . . ."

(Emphasis added.)
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
That will prove challenging. From the OP:

"We can either fly Air India (on a jet, but once a day) . . . ."

(Emphasis added.)
Yeah but as long as 6E or others have flights later in the day...
Old Nov 1, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah but as long as 6E or others have flights later in the day...
Will AI protect passengers on 6E, or would the OP be forced to by walk-up-fare tickets if there were a problem with the AI flight?

And remember, the OP needs nine seats.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Will AI protect passengers on 6E, or would the OP be forced to by walk-up-fare tickets if there were a problem with the AI flight?
And remember, the OP needs nine seats.
Yes AI would rebook on 6E subject to space availability.

But do you have any actually stats to support that AI fails this route more than 6E? Say you booked 6E's second last flight out of IXM... what is the guarantee that 9 pax would be accommodated on the last 6E flight, given the whole previous flight was cancelled?

That's the best you can do... and not worry about this that much.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes AI would rebook on 6E subject to space availability.

But do you have any actually stats to support that AI fails this route more than 6E? Say you booked 6E's second last flight out of IXM... what is the guarantee that 9 pax would be accommodated on the last 6E flight, given the whole previous flight was cancelled?

That's the best you can do... and not worry about this that much.
I have no idea about the reliability of each carrier on this route. I certainly agree that it would be unwise to book the last or penultimate 6E flight of the day, especially since the OP requires nine seats.

If there are several 6E flights operating after the scheduled AI flight, that should afford some measure of confidence.
NDtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! There are 3 flights after the Air India flight. I think we might fly Air India there and then 6e back (1 Air India and 3 6E flights later as back up)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.