Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Pax pees on another pax ( JFK-DEL AI 102 / 26 NOV)

Pax pees on another pax ( JFK-DEL AI 102 / 26 NOV)

Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Wells Fargo VP... I wonder why he was let go that easily...
Pi** Poor Performance
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:50 am

It's unbelievable on so many levels. Any decent airline would have given her the first class seat right away, call the cops to meet the man at gate as soon as the plane landed, refunded her entire ticket, and given her like a $10,000 voucher,
wali, mapleg and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I don't think AI owed her any real compensation if they took proper care of her onboard and had cops deal with the guy when they landed. Maybe as a goodwill gesture refund her ticket..

The incident had nothing to do with AI. AI however did what the do best - proactively make themselves the villains and biggest offenders in this drama. Surely someone at AI knew better than to handle a situation like this in this way!
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by leonidas
It's unbelievable on so many levels. Any decent airline would have given her the first class seat right away, call the cops to meet the man at gate as soon as the plane landed, refunded her entire ticket, and given her like a $10,000 voucher,
Even on instinct, or to just make the problem go away, you would have thought they would do all these, minimally. We are talking an epic fail at so many levels, a series of a least a dozen atrocious mistakes in a row in handling this, before and after the incident. This should be an 1-10 million dollar lawsuit from the victim, and a very hefty DOT fine for the airline.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:46 pm

I don't think AI owed her any real compensation if they took proper care of her onboard and had cops deal with the guy when they landed. Maybe as a goodwill gesture refund her ticket..

The incident had nothing to do with AI. AI however did what the do best - proactively make themselves the villains and biggest offenders in this drama. Surely someone at AI knew better than to handle a situation like this in this way!
I disagree. Not serving alcohol to a heavily inebriated passenger is the Airline's job. In many US states, the bar can be held liable for drunk driving accidents. I would like to see the passenger take AI to court.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/96857791.cms

On a similar note, another passenger on a Dec 9 Paris to Delhi flight (dont know what class of service), urinated in an empty seat which was occupied by a female passenger who was in the restroom while this took place. However in this case, the culprit was arrested upon arrival, apparently he settled with the victim and the police. Also on the same flight, another passenger was caught smoking in the toilet. No idea what actually happened to this person.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
that is why after living in North America for 54 years I continue to NEVER Fly Air India ....regardless of class of service...they just don't care about their passengers!! Id rather give my hard earned $$ to any other airline...
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by leonidas
I disagree. Not serving alcohol to a heavily inebriated passenger is the Airline's job. In many US states, the bar can be held liable for drunk driving accidents. I would like to see the passenger take AI to court.
Again... just to quibble... the "many US states" don't quite have jurisdiction here. But yes the victim should take AI to court but I don't think there would be much the courts would do.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Again... just to quibble... the "many US states" don't quite have jurisdiction here. But yes the victim should take AI to court but I don't think there would be much the courts would do.
I disagree. Over the years I have tried & settled many cases in & out of court where the venue has been held liable for actions that took place there between parties. It all boils down to what that particular establishment could & should have done to prevent the acts that took place there.

Similarly, here the responsibility of the safety of the passenger vests with the airline. A responsibility they failed at miserably by one continuing to serve alcohol to a heavily inebriated passenger & then failing to help the other passenger after the incident took place. This would be a slam dunk case for any competent lawyer & the courts will come down extremely heavily on AI.
MSPeconomist, Anish, nk15 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Yes, if the pax did his homework and got a good lawyer, he will walk free. And yes, at the very least, AI should have helped the other pax (victim) by offering them the first class seat. That's a whole lot cheaper than bad publicity, courts, DGCA fines etc.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
I disagree. Over the years I have tried & settled many cases in & out of court where the venue has been held liable for actions that took place there between parties. It all boils down to what that particular establishment could & should have done to prevent the acts that took place there.

Similarly, here the responsibility of the safety of the passenger vests with the airline. A responsibility they failed at miserably by one continuing to serve alcohol to a heavily inebriated passenger & then failing to help the other passenger after the incident took place. This would be a slam dunk case for any competent lawyer & the courts will come down extremely heavily on AI.
Since the flight was JFK-DEL, wonder if they could file in a US court? I'm sssuming that a US venue would be far more disadvantageous to AI.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Dr. Dao reportedly got an $140 million settlement from UA for his ordeal; this case should be at least in the $1-5 million range.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 10, 2023 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
Seemed to be a Vice President as Wells Fargo in Mumbai. He has been fired from his job. Is currently on the run & is communicating through his lawyers. At some point over the next day or so he will either turn himself in or will be nabbed by the police.

AI staff definitely needs to be punished too. They initially said that the woman was provided another comparable seat in the same class however it turns out that she was given a jump seat & then later told to return to her urine soaked seat. There was a seat available in First class however the pilot refused to give that to her. The cabin staff & pilot both need to answer for their actions.
Even if the only open seat in First was a crew rest seat, I find it colossally moronic that the captain refused to let her have it given the circumstances for basic decency's sake. Since the seat was open, that would lead to the assumption that the secondary/off-duty flight crew were resting in other seats, which an on-duty crewmember could use if/when they swapped. (basing this on my personal example which could be a one-off-- I flew as a flight deck jumpseat observer on an widebody intercontinental flight a few years ago (not AI). Captain told me to use the crew rest lie-flat seat in F to nap instead of going back to my coach seat during some of the overnight segment, that the flight crew was fine not having access to it for that flight.)
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:01 pm

The crew rest seats are J seats behind the galley, center section of last two rows (2x3 seats). It is often curtained off as the crew members party within hearing of passengers.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Since the flight was JFK-DEL, wonder if they could file in a US court? I'm sssuming that a US venue would be far more disadvantageous to AI.
I believe both passengers are Indian citizens. The airline is India based. Gives these factors its highly unlikely any court in the US would grant jurisdiction over this incident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.