Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India International to Domestic (Vistara OR AI), separate tix Baggage Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India International to Domestic (Vistara OR AI), separate tix Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold

I just booked two award tickets (separate trips) SFO-DEL on Air India (using Lifemiles). Now I want to add on a flight (immediate connection) to Pune (PNQ).

1 . First AI trip is in business. If I purchase a SEPARATE AI ticket DEL PNQ, will AI give me the benefit of the international baggage allowance? (2 pcs), or will the conditions of the domestic ticket override? For what it's worth I have Star Alliance Gold (through ANA).

2. Same question, if I booked the domestic leg on Vistara. It seems clear from their website that the domestic allowance would prevail. Can I purchase an additional seat on Vistara just to get the baggage allowance? The cost of 15 Kg @ Rs. 550/kg is about the same as purchasing another seat, and this will guarantee an empty seat next to me. Does Vistara offer any benefits for *A Gold?

3. Same question as 1, but with for the second trip with the SFO-DEL leg booked in economy. AI's SFO-DEL baggage allowance is still 2 pcs.

I'm shocked how steep baggage fees are in India. A 20 Kg bag is well over $100, which makes United's US domestic bag fees look like a bargain.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just buy a ticket with the required baggage allowance. AI will give you 20kg extra so in economy you will get 40-45kg. Vistara needs cash so no high baggage allowance.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You haven't mentioned how much baggage you're expecting to carry. AI J SFO - DEL will allow you 32kgs x 2 bags + 20 kgs (*A). AI Y DEL - SFO will allow you (23kgs x 2 bags + 20 kgs (*A). However given that you're on a LifeMiles award I'm not confident AI staff will be able to add your *A from ANA to the ticket to get extra baggage allowance.

Since you're on separate tickets you will not get the benefits of any international baggage allowance. Traveling on AI domestic in India will probably be the best bet for you in Y (25kgs + 20 (*A) or in J (32kgs + 20 (*A). Some airlines like Indigo etc. offer special rates for people who are traveling on inbound / outbound international flights within 24 hours.Their website will have the details but I doubt it will be cost effective over AI.
superboi likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
However given that you're on a LifeMiles award I'm not confident AI staff will be able to add your *A from ANA to the ticket to get extra baggage allowance.
They can do it during check-in. I've used Flying return miles to book a ticket & then use my UA status to get higher baggage allowance. Both on domestic & international flights.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
They can do it during check-in.
I have successfully done it AND I've had it fail in plenty of places too like MAA (international terminal domestic flight) recently. It depends on your station and the competence of the supervisor there.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Aug 14, 2022 at 12:20 pm
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I have successfully does it too AND I've had it fail in plenty of places too like MAA (international terminal domestic flight) recently. It depends on your station and the competence of the supervisor there.
I've tried it in DEL, BOM, DXB & AUH. No problems at any of these places.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks. It's not the AI J that I'm worried about (2 bags is plenty, especially with reasonable weight limits). I'm trying to figure out how to do DEL - PNQ - DEL on a bag diet.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:35 am
Original Poster

You haven't mentioned how much baggage you're expecting to carry. AI J SFO - DEL will allow you 32kgs x 2 bags + 20 kgs (*A). AI Y DEL - SFO will allow you (23kgs x 2 bags + 20 kgs (*A). However given that you're on a LifeMiles award I'm not confident AI staff will be able to add your *A from ANA to the ticket to get extra baggage allowance.

Since you're on separate tickets you will not get the benefits of any international baggage allowance. Traveling on AI domestic in India will probably be the best bet for you in Y (25kgs + 20 (*A) or in J (32kgs + 20 (*A). Some airlines like Indigo etc. offer special rates for people who are traveling on inbound / outbound international flights within 24 hours.Their website will have the details but I doubt it will be cost effective over AI.
AI has either a 1:45 connection or a 5 hour connection. The former would be great but I have just heard horror stories about delays in connections at IGI. If I book the AI as a separate ticket will I get any benefit from the long haul flight and/or the *A status? Will the *A status work for my spouse who's traveling with me?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by rj123456
AI has either a 1:45 connection or a 5 hour connection. The former would be great but I have just heard horror stories about delays in connections at IGI. If I book the AI as a separate ticket will I get any benefit from the long haul flight and/or the *A status? Will the *A status work for my spouse who's traveling with me?
I/D 1.45 is suicide in DEL and not going to work. Even if the AI staff tag your baggage thru. *A status will just give you 20 KG extra allowance for the *G pax, it doesn't extend to anyone else.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:34 am

Agree with oliver2002 . 1:45 D-I on separate tickets is a bad idea (if you were on a single ticket it would be worth the risk since AI could have rebooked you). You are better off with the 5 hour connection.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superboi
Agree with oliver2002 . 1:45 D-I on separate tickets is a bad idea (if you were on a single ticket it would be worth the risk since AI could have rebooked you). You are better off with the 5 hour connection.
Thanks @superboi. Will your answer change if it's I to D? I'm guessing not, as I'm finding that AI SFO-DEL (Schedule arrival 1455 IST) is prone to delays.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:56 am

Thanks @superboi. Will your answer change if it's I to D? I'm guessing not, as I'm finding that AI SFO-DEL (Schedule arrival 1455 IST) is prone to delays.
Sorry, I misread - and yes the advice would hold for I to D as well (even more strongly, since you have to go through Immigration and customs).
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:51 pm

How was the experience of the OP ?
I am booked on SFO - DEL Air India award ticket. If I book onward travel on Air India domestic so that International and domestic both Air India flights and connection within 24 hours will be true. Will international baggage allowance of 2x23 kg apply for domestic sector ? Below text is what I saw on Air India website but don't understand what it means.
  • Passengers holding separate tickets for Air India domestic and connecting international flights can take advantage of Free Baggage Allowance (FBA), if:
    • The connection flight is within 24 hours.
    • Both flights are operated by Air India.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by discount_bandu
I am booked on SFO - DEL Air India award ticket. If I book onward travel on Air India domestic so that International and domestic both Air India flights and connection within 24 hours will be true. Will international baggage allowance of 2x23 kg apply for domestic sector ? Below text is what I saw on Air India website but don't understand what it means.
  • Passengers holding separate tickets for Air India domestic and connecting international flights can take advantage of Free Baggage Allowance (FBA), if:
It means exactly what you're trying to do. You will get 2x23kgs allowance on the domestic leg.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by discount_bandu
I can't find this information on Air India's website, could you please share a link to where you see this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.