Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI184 SFO-DEL departing ~2 hrs late; connection + compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?

AI184 tonight (seems to be operated by VT-ALF, assuming AI only operates their 777-200LRs on the route) SFO-DEL is delayed departing SFO by a ~2 hrs, landing DEL 0520 local time. The 10 pm departure is now projected as 1155 pm (presumably to stay under the >2 hr delay rule US DOT applies).

Family will end up missing their connection at DEL to MAA (AI439 departing 0555).
They have been offered a meal voucher and offered to be rebooked on AI 537 departing 1615 instead.

Any advice on
  1. Whom to reach to ask to be rebooked on one of the UK flights? Say UK833 departing 0700 or UK839 departing 1345?
  2. Is that even possible given they are ticketed on AI? I am guessing the Tata purchase of AI doesn't yet mean you can ask to be put on an UK flight?
  3. Whom to reach to ask for a hotel stay while waiting for their connection to MAA?
THey were woken up early in the morning by a call from AI about the delayed departure. They spent a couple of hours asking about each of these choices but made no progress other than being put on AI537 at 1615 (a 11 hr layover in DEL) + a single meal voucher per pax.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire
  1. Whom to reach to ask to be rebooked on one of the UK flights? Say UK833 departing 0700 or UK839 departing 1345?
  2. Is that even possible given they are ticketed on AI? I am guessing the Tata purchase of AI doesn't yet mean you can ask to be put on an UK flight?
  3. Whom to reach to ask for a hotel stay while waiting for their connection to MAA?
Rebooking on another airline is extremely unlikely, and even if it were possible, 7am would be crazy and 1345 not so different from 1615.

However, I believe there is an earlier AI flight DEL-MAA at 0945. They did the smart thing by offering to hold seats for your party on a later flight, because you cannot trust the currently announced delay---your relatives may not make the 0945 either. But if it does take off only two hours late, you can try to rebook them to the 0945 flight after their flight takes off (or they can request rebooking on arrival).

Anyway, AI is AI, these things are to be expected. The 772 is long in the tooth and may have had technical issues. At least the incoming flight is now on its way, having taken off "only" 3.5 hours late.
legionnaire likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jun 28, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI is pretty good at handling delayed pax in DEL. They have the transfer desks ready to meet the misconnecting pax. Unfortunately it is about 3-4 desks for 100+ pax, so assuming they need 4-5 minutes per pax you may stand in line for an hour. Meal vouchers are handed out if you are not in business.

They can rebook to UK if there is no AI alternative, this was the case before the privatization too. UK needs to have space on their flights though...
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Rebooking on another airline is extremely unlikely, and even if it were possible, 7am would be crazy and 1345 not so different from 1615.

However, I believe there is an earlier AI flight DEL-MAA at 0945. They did the smart thing by offering to hold seats for your party on a later flight, because you cannot trust the currently announced delay---your relatives may not make the 0945 either. But if it does take off only two hours late, you can try to rebook them to the 0945 flight after their flight takes off (or they can request rebooking on arrival).
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AI is pretty good at handling delayed pax in DEL. They have the transfer desks ready to meet the misconnecting pax. Unfortunately it is about 3-4 desks for 100+ pax, so assuming they need 4-5 minutes per pax you may stand in line for an hour. Meal vouchers are handed out if you are not in business.

They can rebook to UK if there is no AI alternative, this was the case before the privatization too. UK needs to have space on their flights though...
Good to know. They did depart SFO 3 hrs late (1258 instead of 2200) and are showing an ETA of 0458 at DEL. I have given them the UK and AI flight schedule DEL-MAA so they have their choices handy on landing. They will message me on arrival if I need to rebook them etc. Thanks for all the inputs. Having never flown AI, they went in expecting older planes but at least operational timeliness with the Tata purchase. This has served to level set expectations
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Is that even possible given they are ticketed on AI? I am guessing the Tata purchase of AI doesn't yet mean you can ask to be put on an UK flight?
Happened to me last week but I had to push for it. AI flight was severely delayed & I was not accepting the alternative AI flight they were trying to put me on. I pushed to be put on a UK flight & after some initial hesitation they did so.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
Happened to me last week but I had to push for it. AI flight was severely delayed & I was not accepting the alternative AI flight they were trying to put me on. I pushed to be put on a UK flight & after some initial hesitation they did so.
Were you on a Y or a J booking? On a Y Booking, family member spent 2 hrs on the phone with an agent and ended up taking a 1600 MAA flight on AI. They had priority pass so, at least they were able to hang around in that lounge in DEL. Pushing did not help in their case.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Were you on a Y or a J booking? On a Y Booking, family member spent 2 hrs on the phone with an agent and ended up taking a 1600 MAA flight on AI. They had priority pass so, at least they were able to hang around in that lounge in DEL. Pushing did not help in their case.
Y booking.
legionnaire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.