Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

GoFirst website payments with International CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver

I have been unable to get any non-Indian credit cards to process through the GoFirst website. It says declined, or sometimes pending and then declined.

So I booked through Travelocity - but now I needed to change the booking so I called them (got through easily), but I still can't pay the change fees or anything.

1) Will they cancel my changed booking if I wait to pay at the airport (like my agent said they will)?
2) Any workaround for payment for foreigners?

thanks
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:11 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Which country are you booking from? What types of credit cards do you have? For the US Amex generally works better (with AI at least).
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
These are USA credit cards (although I tried an Australian one too). GoFirst only takes Mastercard and Visa, they don't ask for an address, only a phone number, and so I suspect they aren't set up for overseas cc payments. I tried with a VPN to India and to USA.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
This is unfortunately a well known problem with online merchants in India & the only fix is using an Amex (if that particular merchant accepts Amex).

The Reserve Bank of India recently put in some additional guidelines for online payments that require a secondary verification method such as receiving a one time password from the bank on your phone. Most, if not all, US & overseas cards don't have this type of setup so the merchant ends up declining the payment.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
These are USA credit cards (although I tried an Australian one too). GoFirst only takes Mastercard and Visa, they don't ask for an address, only a phone number, and so I suspect they aren't set up for overseas cc payments. I tried with a VPN to India and to USA.
VPNs won't solve your problem. See if your bank offers 2FA. Sometimes it can be enabled through your mobile banking app.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:32 pm

I have essentially the same problem, unable to book on AI's web site. AI has "web special" fares that are not always available on other sites such as Orbitz.

(a) Does any AmEx card work reliably? Does it have a 2FA option? I don't want to get a card and find out it is useless. I tried to make a dummy booking and found that airindia.in does not take AmEx, so forget that.
(b) Is the 2FA thing hypothetical or is there actual experience with US cards? I know 2FA is required in India, but if I manage to find an US CC that requires 2FA, is it known to work for online purchases in India, i.e. US-card 2FA is recognized in India as the equivalent of Indian OTP-based 2FA?
(c) Does "Verified by Visa" "Visa Secure" work as 2FA---any actual experience? Are there any specific US cards known to work for online India purchases?

(Note: I know many cards worked as of a few months ago, but do they work in spring 2022?)

Many thanks!

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 15, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I tried to make a dummy booking and found that airindia.in does not take AmEx, so forget that.
AI does accept Amex even if it doesn't display the Amex logo. Start typing a few numbers of your Amex and you'll see it's recognized.

By online do you mean online shopping or airlines? Amazon for instance will let you purchase things fairly easily. The airlines were hit by a massive fraud several several years ago with people using stolen credit cards. So they went to the other extreme and demand that people start carrying photocopies of the credit card the booking was made in and other such nonsense.

Not sure if Visa Secure or 3DS is 2FA. But it's more a merchant side thing rather than a customer or card issuer thing.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
By online do you mean online shopping or airlines? Amazon for instance will let you purchase things fairly easily.
No, amazon.in doesn't take any of my credit cards as of the last ~6 months. And my card issuers cannot fix it, they say "We aren't the ones doing it" i.e. it is not a potential-fraud thing.

So it is possible that your experience of using AmEx on airindia.in is also a few months old and therefore out of date.

In person use of US credit cards still works in India, although not everywhere (some merchants say their systems cannot accept US cards).

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 16, 2022 at 10:23 am
Old May 16, 2022, 10:47 am

So it is possible that your experience of using AmEx on airindia.in is also a few months old and therefore out of date.
Screenshot for AI from just now below. Also just re-added my US CC to my Amazon India account just now. It got added fine. But I didn't actually buy something so it might trip up then I don't know.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; May 16, 2022 at 10:54 am
Old May 16, 2022, 11:13 am

Yes but does the payment go through? With Visa and MC, which is all I have, the payment does not go through any more, either on airindia.in or amazon.in.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:22 am

Yes but does the payment go through? With Visa and MC, which is all I have, the payment does not go through any more, either on airindia.in or amazon.in.
Amex US will go through for AI. US MC & Visa fail on AI.

Haven't tried my US Visa with Amazon India.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:08 pm

Ok, thanks! I will look into getting AmEx.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:55 pm

Ok, thanks! I will look into getting AmEx.
I did get an AmEx, but today my Visa worked again, both on airindia.in and amazon.in. This may not last though, who knows.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:11 pm

I did get an AmEx, but today my Visa worked again, both on airindia.in and amazon.in. This may not last though, who knows.
Which bank? Do you have 2FA on it?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Which bank? Do you have 2FA on it?
Fidelity Investments (Elan), and no they do not have 2FA. But the amazon.in payment process involved a third party payu.in which sent me a code by SMS to the US cell phone listed in my CC account. The second amazon.in purchase went through without this. Air India went through with no 2FA even the first time.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 25, 2022 at 9:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.