Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

COVID test requirements for domestic travel : Recent experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Hi All, didn't found enought information on this topic. In this thread, if you share what had been your recent experiences flying from major domestic airports, it could be helpful for others as well. Sectors I would like to know are : MAA-DEL, BOM-BLR, HYD-AMD

I would like to know how strict the airlines are with COVID requirements during check-in of both departure and arrival states.

a) Would they allow check-in without RT-PCR test report?
b) If the test is given (proof available), but results are not yet out, can you still travel?
c) Is RT-PCR required for children below 12 years?
d) Would they allow check-in with Vaccination proof?
e) What was the experience at arrival airports? Were there checks done by State authorities?

Thanks!

Last edited by kshastry; Jun 16, 2021 at 9:02 am Reason: Typos corrected
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:52 pm

The requirements are set by individual states & vary by state. Air India has a list of requirements per state linked on https://www.airindia.in/Domestic-Travel.htm, The deep-link to the pdf is https://www.airindia.in/images/pdf/R...a-advisory.pdf.

Some states are relaxing the test requirement for fully vaccinated pax, but it still early days & I wouldn't rely on it. Especially if your proof of vaccination is not the standard Indian certificate.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Indigo: https://www.goindigo.in/information/...gulations.html

I know any flight TO BOM for sure requires RT-PCR at check-in.. BLR - office colleagues have returned fine without needing an RT-PCR (in june).. in May they were asking.. as GMOChicken mentioned - states determine rules and are always subject to change.. your airlines should have advisories..
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
what is true this week may not be so next week....best to check with your airline....what i can tell you for sure is that proof of vaccination doesn't mean much right now as far as travel is concerned....you will still need a negative rt-pcr test....
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
If your question is - are most airlines and airports strict about testing compliance. The answer is yes. Also in most cases it will be easier, cheaper and less time consuming to get your test done before reaching the airport.

I don’t know for sure but I think a 12 year old will not be exempt from testing rules. People with experience can correct me if I’m wrong.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. My recent experience of BOM-BLR during weekend.

To get entry into Airport : You need to show either Aroyga Setu App status or RTPCR negative test
At check-in : Check-in agents didn't ask for anything while handing over boarding pass. No one was being denied boarding.
Upon arrival at destination : No checks. No questions. Collect your baggage and exit.

Incidently, both MH and KA were supposed to be more stricter due to ongoing lockdown during weekends.
Hope above will be useful for someone planning travel.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by kshastry
Thanks for your replies. My recent experience of BOM-BLR during weekend.

To get entry into Airport : You need to show either Aroyga Setu App status or RTPCR negative test
At check-in : Check-in agents didn't ask for anything while handing over boarding pass. No one was being denied boarding.
Upon arrival at destination : No checks. No questions. Collect your baggage and exit.

Incidently, both MH and KA were supposed to be more stricter due to ongoing lockdown during weekends.
Hope above will be useful for someone planning travel.
So there was 100% compliance with guidelines. BOM requires Aarogya app and thermal screening for departure. BLR requires thermal screening on arrival. BLR thermal screening would be done more discreetly.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Strange that they still stick to thermal screening... only 40% of covid pax get fever
Old Jun 22, 2021, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Now on return leg of BLR-BOM

To get entry into airport : Only thermal screening at BLR and usual ID checks by CISF
At check-in : Most of the carriers (LCCs), check-ins are through self service kiosks to print BP and baggage tags. It is manned by 'helpers'. No questions asked
At boarding : It got interesting at the gate. BOM bound Pax were being asked to show RT-PCR negative report. Many didn't had it. They were separated, made to sit for a while and finally let through after getting 'approvals' from BOM (so they were told). Not sure who were approving it.
Upon arrival : RT-PCR report was being asked. Those who didn't have, they were suppose to give this test at airport. Couldn't get any further info on this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:44 pm

My experience at DEL.

I had time to kill during a longish layover at Delhi & needed a covid test for my domestic connection. I tried the following two options.

1. "Genestrings Diagnostic Center". These are the folks you get when you book a RT-PCR test on the Delhi Airport website. They were also taking walk-ins without appointments (this was at 12:15am, ymmv at busier times). They are located outside the airport in the bridge between the parking garage/metro station & Terminal 3. The test was Rs 800 for an RT-PCR test, they said results can be expected between 6 and 8 hours. I did the test at 12:20am, and got my results at 4:50am. There is a desk next to the test desk that sells lounge passes to the allways arrival lounge for Rs.1,200, where you can wait for your test results. DEL has a priority pass arrival lounge that you can use as an alternative.

2. 10 minute antigen test. I forgot what this lab was called, but they did a 10 minute antigen test (Antigen tests are acceptable at my destination). They are located outside of door 2 at the domestic departures area in Terminal 3. The cost was Rs.1,200 and the results came in a few minutes. They did need a local phone number and sent an OTP (no idea why) before being able to schedule the test.

Both labs sent the results via a link in email. Showing the results on my phone was acceptable to the airline check-in desk & everyone else. TBH, nobody looked at the results very closely, I don't think anyone even zoomed in to see if it was a positive or negative test result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.