Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Vistara Upgrade Experiences - Domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold

I didnt see a thread for Vistara domestic upgrade experiences and conversion rates now that they have started "bid upgrades".. hence starting a thread to post experiences..

I tried PNQ-DEL (PE to J) yesterday bidding at 6685 which showed "strong possibility".. Upgrade didnt clear till i reached airport (T-2hrs).. asked at counter - I was told 10k for the upgrade... I asked how many miles for upgrade, was told 9k.. so took the miles upgrade... thought value of >1rs was decent?

Anyone else with experiences?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've bid a number of times but have never been successful....they wait till the last moment to see if they can sell the seat for more....
Old Feb 11, 2021, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
i've bid a number of times but have never been successful....they wait till the last moment to see if they can sell the seat for more....
likewise.. funny thing happened yesterday DEL-BLR.. bid for the upgrade... didnt clear (got not cleared email after landing in BLR)... at airport - asked for offer/price.. was quoted 30% lesser than my online bid ..
Old Feb 21, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: Vistara Gold, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I have a vistara PE ticket code expiring in next 15 days. Is there any way there are extending the validity of vouchers?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by theoracle
I have a vistara PE ticket code expiring in next 15 days. Is there any way there are extending the validity of vouchers?
You can try reaching out to them on Twitter but it's unlikely they will extend it.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: Vistara Gold, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Anish
You can try reaching out to them on Twitter but it's unlikely they will extend it.
Thanks for replying. Will probably try to give it away. Their availability is pathetic. No chance I can use it. Well, if 9W is back, I could finally ditch them.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Another interesting UK upgrade experience.. had booked BLR-DEL last week in PE.. bid for upgrade in "excellent" category per their probability meter.. didnt clear... 1 seat left at airport check-in.. still didnt clear.. requested miles upgrade (aircraft was A321) - cleared at gate..

wonder what their logic is for not accepting paid upgrade but clearing miles upgrade..
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by galaticos
wonder what their logic is for not accepting paid upgrade but clearing miles upgrade..
they are probably waiting till the very last minute to see if they can sell the seat....

atleast vistara gives you the option of using miles at the last minute....ai still won't do that....
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
they are probably waiting till the very last minute to see if they can sell the seat....

atleast vistara gives you the option of using miles at the last minute....ai still won't do that....
I suspect UK's systems might be broken. I think at the very least rev. management needs to re-calibrate the systems - w.r.t. risks and load factors. Maybe the move over from OptionTown wasn't as smooth as they would like. I've heard of plenty of these stories of supposedly good bids not clearing with miles upgrades available recently. The miles upgrades of course are generally of poorer value.

They've taken a leaf out of SQ's book for upgrades of course. But at no point of time does it make sense to choose miles over cash - especially when you're controlling the floor price for the bids.
galaticos likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

true - when I asked "upgrade price" at checkin - it was 50k ... just requested the miles upgrade to try my luck as I desparately didnt want to sit in a middle seat in PE with a gown for 2.5 hrs.. luckily got it..
Keyser likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
true - when I asked "upgrade price" at checkin - it was 50k ... just requested the miles upgrade to try my luck as I desparately didnt want to sit in a middle seat in PE with a gown for 2.5 hrs.. luckily got it..
So how much was the miles upgrade if the (revenue?) upgrade was Rs.50k??
Old Feb 26, 2021, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So how much was the miles upgrade if the (revenue?) upgrade was Rs.50k??
14K miles for BLR-DEL sector
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
14K miles for BLR-DEL sector
14k miles for BLR-DEL is a lot, but 50k cash is crazy.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
14k miles for BLR-DEL is a lot, but 50k cash is crazy.
UK's J cabin is always at a premium for cash or miles and I believe the upgrade system is quite broken.

However this miles upgrade in this case seems to be a need trick to save miles (I assume you can upgrade a miles ticket). So in the case of DEL-BLR an outright J ticket costs 28k miles. And a Y ticket costs 7.5k miles + J upgrade costs 14.5k miles. Thus saving you 6k miles!
Old Feb 27, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
UK's J cabin is always at a premium for cash or miles and I believe the upgrade system is quite broken.

However this miles upgrade in this case seems to be a need trick to save miles (I assume you can upgrade a miles ticket). So in the case of DEL-BLR an outright J ticket costs 28k miles. And a Y ticket costs 7.5k miles + J upgrade costs 14.5k miles. Thus saving you 6k miles!
If all goes to plan...

What's the cancellation fee/penalty, if any - for a mileage ticket on UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.