Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Vistara Co-Branded Credit Card for NRIs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium

I live in New York, and frequently travel to India for visiting family and work. While my loyalty is with SkyTeam, unfortunately, after Jet Airways went bust, I became a free agent looking for "good deals" in both business and main cabins for domestic legs (mostly ex DEL or BOM).

Lately, I have been increasingly flying with Vistara and have been thinking of applying for a co-branded credit card. I do have NRE & NRO accounts with SBI and Axis Bank; both seem to offer these cards: https://www.airvistara.com/sg/en/clu...d-credit-cards. I have also heard rumors that Amex might be jointly launching a product with Vistara...?

In any event, I am curious if anyone is/was in the same boat, and would be willing to share their experience. Thanks.

Last edited by metalblaze; Sep 23, 2020 at 9:56 am Reason: updated title
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I don't think you will be able to apply for a credit card without a paystub in India. When I can to India, I had to wait 3 months so I could have 2 paystub to apply.

The only way without paystub is, if the bank offers your a card directly ( hdfc offers in NetBanking) based on relationship
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze
I do have NRE & NRO accounts with SBI and Axis Bank
Ping your Axis Bank relationship manager, I think their phone/email address is shown in the app and/or website if you don't already have the contact info. If it can be done, they will know. But TBH, I think you will need an Indian mailing address as well as a PAN number (Indian version of an SSN) & Aadhaar card (national ID) at least.

Axis Bank & SBI both have a higher tier customer category for HNW customers. It's far more likely that they will bend the rules if you are one of those customers. The requirements aren't very high, IIRC for Axis bank it needed approx USD 40,000 (INR 30 Lakhs) on deposit at the bank to be one of their Burgundy customers. SBI had similar requirements for their Elite customers.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Back in 2016 (when I had to open a NRE/NRO account with HDFC) I had asked if PIO/OCIs can open a CC in India to earn points/miles. They checked and gave me a categorical 'no'.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
NRIs can absolutely hold credit cards in India. I remember there was a ruling several several years back allowing this.

There's some information here - https://www.bankbazaar.com/credit-ca...-in-india.html
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:58 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
If you have another credit card currently in India, it shouldnt be a problem.. I was offered the Axis Bank credit card one of the Axis Kiosk's at Delhi airport.. all they asked for was - PAN card copy and statement of another credit card.. lo/behold I had an Axis Card in no time.. and I would definitely recommend it..
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
FYI I didn't have a relationship with Axis Bank but wanted the Vistara Infinite card and they asked me to open a fixed deposit with the bank and then happily gave me the card.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
NRIs can absolutely hold credit cards in India. I remember there was a ruling several several years back allowing this.

There's some information here - https://www.bankbazaar.com/credit-ca...-in-india.html
One of the reviews in the link report card closures...?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
One of the reviews in the link report card closures...?
I don't think you read the whole thing. The statement said "i use for domestic purpose they said as per RBI rules need to block the card, and reapply it again". Apparently changing immigration status meant they had to reapply for it. Not that the bank denied them a card.

Also:
https://www.icicibank.com/nri-bankin...ard/index.page
https://www.kotak.com/en/personal-ba...dit-cards.html
https://www.yesbank.in/personal-bank...i/credit-cards
https://www.hdfcbank.com/nri-banking...anking/classic
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
there are definitely ways for an nri to hold a credit card in india....it comes with a lot of restrictions but is possible....

i remember talking to my bank about this for a client many years ago....i believe one of the restrictions was that the credit card could only be from the bank where the nri has their account & they would have to guarantee the limit with a certain amount of deposit or a bank guarantee....
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GMOChicken
Ping your Axis Bank relationship manager, I think their phone/email address is shown in the app and/or website if you don't already have the contact info. If it can be done, they will know. But TBH, I think you will need an Indian mailing address as well as a PAN number (Indian version of an SSN) & Aadhaar card (national ID) at least.

Axis Bank & SBI both have a higher tier customer category for HNW customers. It's far more likely that they will bend the rules if you are one of those customers. The requirements aren't very high, IIRC for Axis bank it needed approx USD 40,000 (INR 30 Lakhs) on deposit at the bank to be one of their Burgundy customers. SBI had similar requirements for their Elite customers.
Thanks for this tip - with Axis Bank, I am currently a Burgundy customer. So, let me ping the local area manager.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.