Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Old Oct 18, 21, 8:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
Right now no one is enforcing bubble rules, so no one from the airlines is checking. The mood may change rather quickly if the government chastises BA for doing something.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 18, 21, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Right now no one is enforcing bubble rules, so no one from the airlines is checking. The mood may change rather quickly if the government chastises BA for doing something.
I see. Thank you for the reply. we will play it by the ear if things change, i guess. Thanks again.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 18, 21, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Originally Posted by sometalkofme View Post
I see. Thank you for the reply. we will play it by the ear if things change, i guess. Thanks again.
Regardless, you'll be fine, you are allowed to transit with BA as your spouse is a US citizen and she doesn't have to travel with you as long as you have some documentary evidence of relationship and of her US citizenship.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by DELANRDFW; Oct 18, 21 at 10:57 pm
Old Oct 18, 21, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Originally Posted by sometalkofme View Post
My wife (US passport, OCI holder) & I (Indian passport, US PR) have an itinerary of BOS-LHR-BLR in mid November and BLR-DEL-LHR-BOS in early December, with every flight other than BLR-DEL (which is on UK) on BA. As per the current reading of the air bubble rules, my wife should be able to enter India through her OCI, and I should be allowed to board on the return legs even though BA cannot ferry transit passengers through LHR for Indian citizens, because I would be traveling with my spouse. is that a correct reading of the rules? does the air bubble adherence check happen in BLR by the UK staff? or at DEL by the BA staff?
you are allowed per bubble rules
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan 50K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Trying to make sense of new India travel rules
https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guideli...ctober2021.pdf

I'm due to fly EWR-BOM next week(Indian national, vaccinated in US) - Looks like US is not in Category A list - that means I'll be subject to test on arrival & home quarantine.

Any idea if this is only for foreign travelers or Indian citizens as well? (since the premise is 'reciprocity', I hope Indian citizens are exempted)

Makes no sense that UK is both high risk and in category A list!
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Acid View Post

Makes no sense that UK is both high risk and in category A list!

Hmm....was that a typo (and a big one)..? May be they meant to add USA to the "Category A" list...?
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:16 am

Point 16 - Travellers from Countries excluding those Countries at risk, will be allowed to leave the airport and shall self-monitor their health for 14 days’ post arrival. This is applicable to travellers from all Countries including Countries with which reciprocal arrangements for mutual acceptance of WHO approved COVID-19 vaccines also exist.

Does this mean travelers from US need not do the COVID test on Arrival ? This is so confusing .
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by dip2007 View Post
Point 16 - Travellers from Countries excluding those Countries at risk, will be allowed to leave the airport and shall self-monitor their health for 14 days’ post arrival. This is applicable to travellers from all Countries including Countries with which reciprocal arrangements for mutual acceptance of WHO approved COVID-19 vaccines also exist.

Does this mean travelers from US need not do the COVID test on Arrival ? This is so confusing .
I agree, this is confusing. I think we should be okay on reading further, worst case a couple of tests. Not sure how they will enforce home qurantine.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:26 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
There is no Covid test on arrival for direct flights from USA. You need to upload your RT-PCR report etc. on the Air Suvidha portal before your journey. I think they're going to accept "approved" vaccination certificates too at some point soon so even that won't be required.

Quarantine is not required.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
There is no Covid test on arrival for direct flights from USA. You need to upload your RT-PCR report etc. on the Air Suvidha portal before your journey. I think they're going to accept "approved" vaccination certificates too at some point soon so even that won't be required.

Quarantine is not required.
According to the new guidelines there is no concept of direct or layover flights for covid test on arrival . It now depends if you are coming from at risk countries or not and if India has vaccine reciprocal agreement . New guidelines here : https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/ListofC...ctober2021.pdf
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:35 am

I agree, this is confusing. I think we should be okay on reading further, worst case a couple of tests. Not sure how they will enforce home qurantine.
What i understand is this .

Point 15 a is applicable for countries which are at risk and which have vaccine reciprocal agreements like UK
Point 15 b is for countries which are at risk and there is no vaccine reciprocal agreements like China
Point 16 is for all countries like US , UAE etc .
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:36 am

According to the new guidelines there is no concept of direct or layover flights for covid test on arrival . It now depends if you are coming from at risk countries or not and if India has vaccine reciprocal agreement . New guidelines here : https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/ListofC...ctober2021.pdf

The flowchart is easier to understand and looks like no change. They need to clean up the language in the text.

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Algorit...ctober2021.pdf
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:39 am

The flowchart is easier to understand and looks like no change. They need to clean up the language in the text.

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Algorit...ctober2021.pdf
Yes this is much better . So since i am flying Emirates from US i don't have to do the Covid test on arrival now . This is a relief
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 20, 21, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
According to the new guidelines there is no concept of direct or layover flights for covid test on arrival . It now depends if you are coming from at risk countries or not and if India has vaccine reciprocal agreement. New guidelines here: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/ListofC...ctober2021.pdf

The flowchart is easier to understand and looks like no change. They need to clean up the language in the text. https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Algorit...ctober2021.pdf
Thank you both for these links. Very helpful indeed
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 21, 21, 11:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Spire/Amb, HHonors Gold
Does anyone know, or would anyone be willing to share his educated guess as to how "Travelers coming from Countries [...]" would be interpreted?

Could it mean: Traveller's country of residence? or perhaps citizenship? Country where the traveller started his journey? Country where the traveller boarded the direct flight to India?
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread