Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Old Oct 18, 21, 8:39 am
  #1411  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN**
Posts: 43,769
Right now no one is enforcing bubble rules, so no one from the airlines is checking. The mood may change rather quickly if the government chastises BA for doing something.
SamirD likes this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 21, 9:33 am
  #1412  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Right now no one is enforcing bubble rules, so no one from the airlines is checking. The mood may change rather quickly if the government chastises BA for doing something.
I see. Thank you for the reply. we will play it by the ear if things change, i guess. Thanks again.
SamirD likes this.
sometalkofme is offline  
Old Oct 18, 21, 6:34 pm
  #1413  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by sometalkofme View Post
I see. Thank you for the reply. we will play it by the ear if things change, i guess. Thanks again.
Regardless, you'll be fine, you are allowed to transit with BA as your spouse is a US citizen and she doesn't have to travel with you as long as you have some documentary evidence of relationship and of her US citizenship.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by DELANRDFW; Oct 18, 21 at 10:57 pm
DELANRDFW is offline  
Old Oct 18, 21, 9:09 pm
  #1414  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BLR
Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Posts: 1,064
Originally Posted by sometalkofme View Post
My wife (US passport, OCI holder) & I (Indian passport, US PR) have an itinerary of BOS-LHR-BLR in mid November and BLR-DEL-LHR-BOS in early December, with every flight other than BLR-DEL (which is on UK) on BA. As per the current reading of the air bubble rules, my wife should be able to enter India through her OCI, and I should be allowed to board on the return legs even though BA cannot ferry transit passengers through LHR for Indian citizens, because I would be traveling with my spouse. is that a correct reading of the rules? does the air bubble adherence check happen in BLR by the UK staff? or at DEL by the BA staff?
you are allowed per bubble rules
SamirD likes this.
galaticos is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 8:04 am
  #1415  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan 50K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 982
Trying to make sense of new India travel rules
https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guideli...ctober2021.pdf

I'm due to fly EWR-BOM next week(Indian national, vaccinated in US) - Looks like US is not in Category A list - that means I'll be subject to test on arrival & home quarantine.

Any idea if this is only for foreign travelers or Indian citizens as well? (since the premise is 'reciprocity', I hope Indian citizens are exempted)

Makes no sense that UK is both high risk and in category A list!
SamirD likes this.
Acid is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 8:46 am
  #1416  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York City
Programs: DL DM & 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by Acid View Post

Makes no sense that UK is both high risk and in category A list!

Hmm....was that a typo (and a big one)..? May be they meant to add USA to the "Category A" list...?
SamirD likes this.
metalblaze is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:16 am
  #1417  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 82
Point 16 - Travellers from Countries excluding those Countries at risk, will be allowed to leave the airport and shall self-monitor their health for 14 days’ post arrival. This is applicable to travellers from all Countries including Countries with which reciprocal arrangements for mutual acceptance of WHO approved COVID-19 vaccines also exist.

Does this mean travelers from US need not do the COVID test on Arrival ? This is so confusing .
SamirD likes this.
dip2007 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:22 am
  #1418  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan 50K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 982
Originally Posted by dip2007 View Post
Point 16 - Travellers from Countries excluding those Countries at risk, will be allowed to leave the airport and shall self-monitor their health for 14 days’ post arrival. This is applicable to travellers from all Countries including Countries with which reciprocal arrangements for mutual acceptance of WHO approved COVID-19 vaccines also exist.

Does this mean travelers from US need not do the COVID test on Arrival ? This is so confusing .
I agree, this is confusing. I think we should be okay on reading further, worst case a couple of tests. Not sure how they will enforce home qurantine.
SamirD likes this.
Acid is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:26 am
  #1419  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 2,481
There is no Covid test on arrival for direct flights from USA. You need to upload your RT-PCR report etc. on the Air Suvidha portal before your journey. I think they're going to accept "approved" vaccination certificates too at some point soon so even that won't be required.

Quarantine is not required.
SamirD likes this.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:33 am
  #1420  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
There is no Covid test on arrival for direct flights from USA. You need to upload your RT-PCR report etc. on the Air Suvidha portal before your journey. I think they're going to accept "approved" vaccination certificates too at some point soon so even that won't be required.

Quarantine is not required.
According to the new guidelines there is no concept of direct or layover flights for covid test on arrival . It now depends if you are coming from at risk countries or not and if India has vaccine reciprocal agreement . New guidelines here : https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/ListofC...ctober2021.pdf
SamirD likes this.
dip2007 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:35 am
  #1421  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
I agree, this is confusing. I think we should be okay on reading further, worst case a couple of tests. Not sure how they will enforce home qurantine.
What i understand is this .

Point 15 a is applicable for countries which are at risk and which have vaccine reciprocal agreements like UK
Point 15 b is for countries which are at risk and there is no vaccine reciprocal agreements like China
Point 16 is for all countries like US , UAE etc .
SamirD likes this.
dip2007 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:36 am
  #1422  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan 50K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 982
Originally Posted by dip2007 View Post
According to the new guidelines there is no concept of direct or layover flights for covid test on arrival . It now depends if you are coming from at risk countries or not and if India has vaccine reciprocal agreement . New guidelines here : https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/ListofC...ctober2021.pdf

The flowchart is easier to understand and looks like no change. They need to clean up the language in the text.

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Algorit...ctober2021.pdf
SamirD likes this.
Acid is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 9:39 am
  #1423  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
The flowchart is easier to understand and looks like no change. They need to clean up the language in the text.

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Algorit...ctober2021.pdf
Yes this is much better . So since i am flying Emirates from US i don't have to do the Covid test on arrival now . This is a relief
SamirD likes this.
dip2007 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 2:02 pm
  #1424  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RBKC
Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Posts: 3,567
Originally Posted by dip2007 View Post
According to the new guidelines there is no concept of direct or layover flights for covid test on arrival . It now depends if you are coming from at risk countries or not and if India has vaccine reciprocal agreement. New guidelines here: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/ListofC...ctober2021.pdf

Originally Posted by Acid View Post
The flowchart is easier to understand and looks like no change. They need to clean up the language in the text. https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Algorit...ctober2021.pdf
Thank you both for these links. Very helpful indeed
SamirD likes this.
ExpatExp is offline  
Old Oct 21, 21, 11:33 am
  #1425  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: C2
Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Spire/Amb, HHonors Gold
Posts: 40
Does anyone know, or would anyone be willing to share his educated guess as to how "Travelers coming from Countries [...]" would be interpreted?

Could it mean: Traveller's country of residence? or perhaps citizenship? Country where the traveller started his journey? Country where the traveller boarded the direct flight to India?
SamirD likes this.
JacobNL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread