Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
Was this connecting in FRA?
No, this was a non-stop SFO to BLR
Old May 8, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by itengineer
No, this was a non-stop SFO to BLR
Interesting. This is quite surprising. Was it a round trip ticket?
Old May 9, 2021, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
United postponed the start of the BLR route, so this is nothing to do with any bubble nonsense.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by oliver2002
United postponed the start of the BLR route, so this is nothing to do with any bubble nonsense.
Gotcha. But are they not code sharing with LH for these?
Old May 10, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SamirD
Gotcha. But are they not code sharing with LH for these?
Once they start, I am reasonably sure they will.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:05 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
United has also discontinued its ORD-DEL-ORD flights from June 1st. Will upgauge from 787 to 777 until then.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Someone sent me a WhatsApp for a charter flight being offered by a TA, where they will take you to Cairo and put you in a hotel for 2 weeks, before putting you a flight to NYC.

The TA offered a price in Economy/Business, including stay/meals and airport transfers in Cairo based on single/double sharing.

This was a few days ago, so I'm not sure if it is still valid. Flights were nearly full and, at the time, they had maybe 1 seat left in Economy.
Maldives and Mexico are still valid options. There are few other countries out there, but better to stick to countries where it is easier to fly in and out of. From Maldives, one can fly via Dubai or Doha. The last time I checked there were good number of seats to Maldives and from Maldives to Doha or Dubai. EK or QR accept Advance parole H1b visa and Maldives does not require visas for Indian citizens. However Maldives can be expensive.

Mexico can be reached via Frankfurt or even London (transit travel is allowed). The only problem is if Mexico (or LH or BA) will accept Advance Parole H1b visa. This may be a good option for tourist visa holders. Also as the above commenter stated, some one also sent me a flight itinerary via Egypt. Spend 15 days in the transit country and then fly to US.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Oh wow. that is great to know.
So, I presume you were able to go home as soon as you gave your sample and did not wait at the airport for the results?
That's for folks, who transit via Middle East, if you transit via UK, you do have to wait Test results to come, before they let you go
Old May 12, 2021, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hyho61
Mexico can be reached via Frankfurt or even London (transit travel is allowed). The only problem is if Mexico (or LH or BA) will accept Advance Parole H1b visa. This may be a good option for tourist visa holders. Also as the above commenter stated, some one also sent me a flight itinerary via Egypt. Spend 15 days in the transit country and then fly to US.
mexico only seems to be an option if you have a visa for mexico....a usa visa will not work at the moment since all airlines are restricting transit to only if you have a valid visa to the country you are traveling to....

my cousin was looking at options to travel to either panama or mexico but af, klm, lh & ba all told him that he either needs a visa for panama or mexico in order to be eligible to transit to either one of these countries....
AJLondon and SamirD like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: EY
Maldives and Mexico are still valid options. There are few other countries out there, but better to stick to countries where it is easier to fly in and out of. From Maldives, one can fly via Dubai or Doha. The last time I checked there were good number of seats to Maldives and from Maldives to Doha or Dubai. EK or QR accept Advance parole H1b visa and Maldives does not require visas for Indian citizens. However Maldives can be expensive.

Maldives is no longer an option as they've banned all travel from India. Mexico is still open as are a few other Central American countries.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
mexico only seems to be an option if you have a visa for mexico....a usa visa will not work at the moment since all airlines are restricting transit to only if you have a valid visa to the country you are traveling to....

my cousin was looking at options to travel to either panama or mexico but af, klm, lh & ba all told him that he either needs a visa for panama or mexico in order to be eligible to transit to either one of these countries....
A visa to Mexico is not required for Indian citizens if they have a valid US visa. Not sure about Advance parole visa. This is clearly stated in Mexico entry requirements from the Embassy of Mexico in Delhi website. May be the airlines are unaware of that provision. It does not appear that Mexico has changed the rules. However H1b advance parole visa holders are generally not allowed by LH or BA. A stamped H1b visa in India is generally allowed.

Also Panama has the same requirements as Mexico, no visa required if they have a valid US visa.

I also checked Timatic, which is website that airlines use and it confirms visa not required if the passenger has a valid US (or Canada) visa.

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/india/index.php/visas

Maldives is open to Indian nationals, but they have to stay in secluded areas of resorts, of which they are quite a few.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by hyho61; May 12, 2021 at 10:57 am
Old May 12, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
A visa to Mexico is not required for Indian citizens if they have a valid US visa. Not sure about Advance parole visa. This is clearly stated in Mexico entry requirements from the Embassy of Mexico in Delhi website. May be the airlines are unaware of that provision. It does not appear that Mexico has changed the rules. However H1b advance parole visa holders are generally not allowed by LH or BA. A stamped H1b visa in India is generally allowed.

Also Panama has the same requirements as Mexico, no visa required if they have a valid US visa.

I also checked Timatic, which is website that airlines use and it confirms visa not required if the passenger has a valid US (or Canada) visa.

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/india/index.php/visas
i'm aware of the rules for panama & mexico regarding visa requirements but these are unusual times & what works normally may not in reality work now....

it doesn't matter what timatic says because as of now airlines are not accepting transit passengers from india unless they have a visa for the country you are visiting....af has clearly stated on its website that you require a visa to transit via cdg unless you have an exemption....in normal times a usa visa would count as an exemption to travel to mexico....however, they further state that if you are traveling to a country for which you are using the visa of a 3rd country then you must travel to that 3rd country first otherwise they will not allow you to transit....klm has stated that they will not transit anyone from india....ba & lh have not mentioned anything on their websites but have verbally confirmed the same thing af has clarified on its website....

now we can argue all we want whether they are breaking the rules by not allowing transit as the government of mexico allows entry with a usa visa, but the reality of the situation at the moment is that af, kl, lh & ba will not allow you to transit from india - mexico unless you have a visa for mexico....
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by Keyser; May 13, 2021 at 12:18 am
Old May 13, 2021, 10:37 am

Looks like Turkish airlines may be an option, TK flies to Mexico City. Unless Turkey also has the same restrictions. It does not appear to be having any such restriction. Japan is out because they are allowing any transit to restricted countries which includes US and Mexico. It is unfortunate that European carriers have instituted new rules, I dont know what is the rationale here. It is not as if they will be inundated with passengers from India, only a few will try this route.

Otherwise the only way to spend 14 days outside India without quarantine may be in Egypt. Even Maldives has now introduced restrictions effective today. If AI was flying to Madrid, may be they will have more choices as Iberia does not have such restrictions.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by hyho61; May 13, 2021 at 10:51 am
Old May 13, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Turkish airlines may be an option, TK flies to Mexico City. Unless Turkey also has the same restrictions. It does not appear to be having any such restriction. Japan is out because they are allowing any transit to restricted countries which includes US and Mexico. It is unfortunate that European carriers have instituted new rules, I dont know what is the rationale here. It is not as if they will be inundated with passengers from India, only a few will try this route.
can't say for sure what the reasons are but a few that come to mind would be the bubble agreement with india or what happens in the event that mexico or panama or any other country stop allowing indians to enter or transit at the spur of the moment....none of these airlines want to be stuck with a passenger who is neither allowed in their country nor at their final destination....

not sure what tk is doing but i believe turkey is still processing visas & are allowing indians to enter (or at least they were doing so till a few days ago) so flying there for 14 days could be an option....after that you can fly over to usa or anywhere else you are allowed to travel to....

Otherwise the only way to spend 14 days outside India without quarantine may be in Egypt. Even Maldives has now introduced restrictions effective today. If AI was flying to Madrid, may be they will have more choices as Iberia does not have such restrictions.
egypt is definitely an option....i believe even they are processing visas & allowing indians to travel so spending 14 days there would work as well....

another option, albeit an expensive one, is to take a charter flight to the uae....they are allowing people from india with a tourist visa, provided they come on a 'business flight'....this is not a cheap option but an option nevertheless....

they have certain restrictions in place though....the charter flight must carry 8 passengers or less, prior permission for all passengers must be taken by the charter company, negative rt-pcr test for all passengers taken 48 hours prior to the flight, rt-pcr test on arrival in the uae, give an undertaking to undergo 10 day quarantine at home or hotel, rt-pcr test done on day 4 & 8 of arrival....if your day 8 rt-pcr test is negative then you are free to move about after the 10th day....
SamirD likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Just to update, my relative managed to get into the Maldives just in time, a day before they closed out on Indian travelers. So it's 2 weeks there and then hopefully a re-entry in to the US
AJLondon, hyho61, Keyser and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.