Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat

OCI Planning to fly LAX/BOM/LAX route in November, and trying to research the rules now. Can you fly via (transit through) other air bubble countries such as UK, France, Germany? And is it permitted to fly back to the US through these countries? All kinds of airlines are selling tickets on this route such as QR, TK etc. but maybe they are just optimistic? QR seems to have a restriction that disallows transit passengers eventhough It flies this route. It would be great if someone can direct me to the source of this information. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You can transit UK/France/Germany to arrive in India. Depending on your passport and your port of arrival after transiting, countries/places visited in the last couple of weeks, temp readings at various places etc. etc. you may be required to quarantine anywhere during your travel in USA or India or somewhere in-between.

The situation is very complicated right now so you're dependent on US travel rules, India travel rules & if applicable the transit countries travel rules (which can affect you transiting or reaching your destination or home). Also these rules are constantly changing in your home, destination & transit countries.

I would strongly you advise you to book direct at least between USA & IND - that would probably give you the best odds of making the trip. Also, given how stressful flying now is, it would also give you the least amount of stress/hassle though it might not be the cheapest. Make sure the airlines you choose has a good cancellation policy. I'd probably pick LAX-SFO (UA) - DEL (UA) - BOM (UK).

Your best guide once you've picked your route/airline would be the airlines' website. That would give you the most up-to-date information about travel restrictions etc. Again - those rules might not hold true on your date of journey.

For general guides you can refer to these:
1. TIMATIC through here or elsewhere - https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
2. https://www.united.com/ual/en/in/fly...l/notices.html
3. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...formation.html
4. https://boi.gov.in/content/advisory-...ted-covid-19-0

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Aug 24, 2020 at 3:13 am
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
OCI Planning to fly LAX/BOM/LAX route in November, and trying to research the rules now. Can you fly via (transit through) other air bubble countries such as UK, France, Germany? And is it permitted to fly back to the US through these countries?
there seems to be no bar on flying to india transiting through the uk, france or germany but you can only fly back to usa via one of these countries if you are a usa citizen or resident....
Old Aug 24, 2020, 7:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Lufthansa flights to/from India are packed with OCI/PIO flying to/from the US & CA right now. Germany doesn't care if you are in transit.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Keyser
there seems to be no bar on flying to india transiting through the uk, france or germany but you can only fly back to usa via one of these countries if you are a usa citizen or resident....
Correct, much easier to fly LAX-BOM via OCI rules than it is to fly BOM-LAX given the current US Immigration restrictions...
Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful info and the link to the various resources. To clarify, I am a US citizen/passport holder with OCI card so I don't think I will have problems returning to the US transiting uk, france or germany. I agree that it may be simpler to fly on the india/US non stop flights, but am evaluating all options. Hope the situation will change for the better.

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; Aug 24, 2020 at 11:26 pm
Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Correct, much easier to fly LAX-BOM via OCI rules than it is to fly BOM-LAX given the current US Immigration restrictions...
what are the current US immigration restrictions?
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
NYC - Assam

I recently flew JFK-CDG-DEL-GAU in J via DL & AF and documented my experience: https://newyork2assamduringcovid.blogspot.com/

Planning to return (GAU-DEL-AMS-JFK) in September, and shall document further.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metalblaze
I recently flew JFK-CDG-DEL-GAU in J via DL & AF and documented my experience: https://newyork2assamduringcovid.blogspot.com/

Planning to return (GAU-DEL-AMS-JFK) in September, and shall document further.
Very interesting, and informative, what a hassle. Look forward to part 2 of the report.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
what are the current US immigration restrictions?
Flying to the US from one of the restricted countries regions - including the EU, China etc. is allowed only for US citizens & residents. All other nationalities will need to spend 2 weeks in another country or green zone before being allowed entry into the US.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
So will a US PR holder be allowed to transit through LHR/CDG/FRA going TO the USA? Technically - yes per US immigration rules right? However, India's air bubble's for EU countries are only allowing people who are destined to that country.. am I correct to understand therefore that one cannot go to US via LHR/CDG/FRA on way TO the US? Even US citizens and PR holders?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by galaticos
So will a US PR holder be allowed to transit through LHR/CDG/FRA going TO the USA? Technically - yes per US immigration rules right? However, India's air bubble's for EU countries are only allowing people who are destined to that country.. am I correct to understand therefore that one cannot go to US via LHR/CDG/FRA on way TO the US? Even US citizens and PR holders?
Im flying DEL-AMS-JFK later this week, and here is KLMs policy:

1. All US Citizens can transit via AMS.
2. Only those Green Card holders whose spouse is also a US Citizen (no need to travel together; just show evidence) can transit via AMS.

I think this policy is same for AF (& CDG). I cant speak for LHR (BA, VS etc.)
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lufthansa is actively selling India-US tickets so it is allowed for FRA.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
allowed for af as well through cdg if you are a usa citizen or resident....i had a ticket for next week that i eventually had to cancel since they told me i would only be allowed to board if i met certain conditions, which my b1/b2 visa did not....
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Anyone with experience of this on BA? Trip coming up again in oct and would dearly love to make my EXP status on AA if I can do BA.. but need to do RT

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.