Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
It is quite strange to note the wording for each country is slightly different - https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/en/...nsport-bubbles

Seems to be aimed at the airlines rather than the country. Your brother's best bet is to fly via Europe. Or fly via Maldives/Bhutan. Quite strange and meaningless from COVID standpoint.

Originally Posted by xobile
They told me they can't sell me a transit flight through the UAE (6th freedom) to India due to prohibitions placed by the Indian government. It's not a UAE issue, if I wanted to fly to Pakistan or Malaysia, that's fine, no issues with transiting. India seems to be taking advantage of this situation to try to force people on to Air Indi tbh.

For my brother in the UAE, they said they can sell me a ticket (since the origin is in the UAE) but ensuring I'm eligible to travel to India is up to the passenger, to see if they qualify through whatever the rules are at that time, such as an exception for foreigners based on marriage to an Indian national for instance.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Transit via UK

Hi,
So, I finished my excursion to India to bring my mother back.
In short BA will not allow Indian citizen with US GC to board from India, unless the spouse is a US citizen. Spouse doesn't have to be traveling with passenger.

Trip to India was uneventful, at LHR they gave every passenger a plastic face shield along with a PPE kit containing 2 hand sanitizer gel packets and 1 disinfectant wipe.
I had a PCR test done and uploaded the result ~48 hrs to the portal to get institutional quarantine exemption approved at DEL.
They asked for the confirmation at Arrivals and stamped my left forearm with home quarantine for 14 days
After I picked bags and cleared customs, there was another queue to show your stamp and exit the airport.
I noticed the COVID test waiting lounge, which was right outside of customs.

On return back the PPE provided by BA at DEL was substantial, 2 surgical face masks, 4 packets of hand sanitizer gels and 2 disinfectant wipes and BA logo face shield.

Rest all was standard departure procedure ex Delhi and also transit at LHR.
Onboard the service in First was limited to 1 big meal box and a small meal box for breakfast. Cold liquids were served in plastic cups and hot liquids in paper cups.
However, full turndown services were provided along with amenity kit and PJs.

First Lounge at LHR had table service from menu which consisted of usual breakfast buffet items.

Concorde room is closed but Concorde terrace is open.
Showers are available but Spa is closed.
Hope this helps and blame any typos on jet lag 😴
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by xobile
India seems to be taking advantage of this situation to try to force people on to Air Indi tbh.
While it's unfortunate and a big hassle for your brother I'm still not sure this is a grand conspiracy engineered by AI & GoI.

Imagine the 100 OCIs stuck in UAE... out of which 80 won't travel because of no need/too much hassle. 20 go back to their own/third countries to fly to India. All 20 cannot utilize AI flights to get there from UAE. And then 15 fly back to India on non-AI carriers like LH, BA, AF etc. And 5 fly on AI. While the numbers are totally made up - it seems like an absurd amount of effort for AI to try and get some revenue. That too from the 2-3 nations which do not have the foreigner clause!

EY/EK will of course not blame their own govts. But whatever the issue was there - it wasn't to boost AI's seat sales. Unless AI had an exemption to carry foreigners and EY/EK didn't.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by DELANRDFW
Hi,
So, I finished my excursion to India to bring my mother back.
In short BA will not allow Indian citizen with US GC to board from India, unless the spouse is a US citizen. Spouse doesn't have to be traveling with passenger.

Trip to India was uneventful, at LHR they gave every passenger a plastic face shield along with a PPE kit containing 2 hand sanitizer gel packets and 1 disinfectant wipe.
I had a PCR test done and uploaded the result ~48 hrs to the portal to get institutional quarantine exemption approved at DEL.
They asked for the confirmation at Arrivals and stamped my left forearm with home quarantine for 14 days
After I picked bags and cleared customs, there was another queue to show your stamp and exit the airport.
I noticed the COVID test waiting lounge, which was right outside of customs.

On return back the PPE provided by BA at DEL was substantial, 2 surgical face masks, 4 packets of hand sanitizer gels and 2 disinfectant wipes and BA logo face shield.

Rest all was standard departure procedure ex Delhi and also transit at LHR.
Onboard the service in First was limited to 1 big meal box and a small meal box for breakfast. Cold liquids were served in plastic cups and hot liquids in paper cups.
However, full turndown services were provided along with amenity kit and PJs.

First Lounge at LHR had table service from menu which consisted of usual breakfast buffet items.

Concorde room is closed but Concorde terrace is open.
Showers are available but Spa is closed.
Hope this helps and blame any typos on jet lag 😴
Useful report!
academic question - your mother qualified to return with you based on your US status or is a US citizen as well?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
interesting....this is not what i went through in del last week....they didn't stamp my forearm till the time i was about to leave the airport after customs....that too after a lot of confusion regarding the exemption certificate....
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
So my neighbor arrived from LHR to BLR 3 days ago on BA.. he had a RTPCR test and had uploaded for exemption.. on arrival, temperature and oxymeter test was done and found normal (same as me a month back) but no negative report or exemption approval asked for.. released without anything else.. no home quarantine either (I wasn’t asked to as well but I thought it was because of negative test)

he is about 58 so looks like a senior citizen.. maybe that’s why?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Useful report!
academic question - your mother qualified to return with you based on your US status or is a US citizen as well?
Based on her being a US GC and my late father being a US citizen and take the latter half the statement as equivalent to truth from Donald Trump mouth.
More of an off the record exception.And once boarding passes were printed, nobody asked another question. However, they did decline boarding to spouse of H1b and and also another US GC holding couple

Last edited by DELANRDFW; Sep 28, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
interesting....this is not what i went through in del last week....they didn't stamp my forearm till the time i was about to leave the airport after customs....that too after a lot of confusion regarding the exemption certificate....
They now have a dedicated counter for exemptions way before immigration.

Last edited by DELANRDFW; Sep 28, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos
So my neighbor arrived from LHR to BLR 3 days ago on BA.. he had a RTPCR test and had uploaded for exemption.. on arrival, temperature and oxymeter test was done and found normal (same as me a month back) but no negative report or exemption approval asked for.. released without anything else.. no home quarantine either (I wasn’t asked to as well but I thought it was because of negative test)

he is about 58 so looks like a senior citizen.. maybe that’s why?
State of Karnataka is not asking for exemption, if you are asymptomatic, you are good as gold

Last edited by DELANRDFW; Sep 28, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
While it's unfortunate and a big hassle for your brother I'm still not sure this is a grand conspiracy engineered by AI & GoI.

Imagine the 100 OCIs stuck in UAE... out of which 80 won't travel because of no need/too much hassle. 20 go back to their own/third countries to fly to India. All 20 cannot utilize AI flights to get there from UAE. And then 15 fly back to India on non-AI carriers like LH, BA, AF etc. And 5 fly on AI. While the numbers are totally made up - it seems like an absurd amount of effort for AI to try and get some revenue. That too from the 2-3 nations which do not have the foreigner clause!

EY/EK will of course not blame their own govts. But whatever the issue was there - it wasn't to boost AI's seat sales. Unless AI had an exemption to carry foreigners and EY/EK didn't.
I respectfully disagree, its all to limit competition for AI. Everyone know ME3 carriers were controlling Indian foreign travel market and if they allow QR and EK, their share will drop. I had only 40 odd pax on London Del flight and back,whereas AI load was full.
Same for flights to US, AI business class was sold out.

It's so much to steer traffic to AI, otherwise help me understand why people can't transit UK when both UK and the flying carrier along with destination country have no issues.
AI got caught with hands in cookie jar when they were flying close to full schedule on pretext of repatriation flights and when confronted by respective agencies, they created the so called bubbles which still benefit AI.
All in the game to increase balance sheet for divestment ahead.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yep, the MOCA is already dreaming that this is the path forward even after things become normal. Thankfully the other countries will not agree
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
They now have a dedicated counter for exemptions way before immigration.
that's what was missing last week....they had a line for exempt passengers but no counter....so no stamping was done & hence the confusion that followed....
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Question regarding transit in UK:

Since WB's restrictions on flights between CCU to/from DEL & BOM is nicely messing up my schedule, I may have to use the new CCU-LHR service (shudder) to get back home. United is happy to sell me CCU-LHR-MUC in Business for 63.5k points and a few $ in taxes, so it is an option... (I suppose I have get myself a tiffin carrier with food to take along)

The bubble trouble page says the following:

13. United Kingdom (UK)

India has created an air travel arrangement with the United Kingdom. Indian and UK carriers are now permitted to operate services between India and UK and carry the following categories of persons on such flights:

A. From India to UK

i. Stranded UK nationals/residents, foreign nationals transiting through UK or spouses of these persons, whether accompanying or otherwise;
So it looks like this could be possible for me to use to get back to Germany?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Question regarding transit in UK:

Since WB's restrictions on flights between CCU to/from DEL & BOM is nicely messing up my schedule, I may have to use the new CCU-LHR service (shudder) to get back home. United is happy to sell me CCU-LHR-MUC in Business for 63.5k points and a few $ in taxes, so it is an option... (I suppose I have get myself a tiffin carrier with food to take along)

The bubble trouble page says the following:

So it looks like this could be possible for me to use to get back to Germany?
definitely seems like you are eligible....
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I respectfully disagree, its all to limit competition for AI. Everyone know ME3 carriers were controlling Indian foreign travel market and if they allow QR and EK, their share will drop. I had only 40 odd pax on London Del flight and back,whereas AI load was full.
Same for flights to US, AI business class was sold out.

It's so much to steer traffic to AI, otherwise help me understand why people can't transit UK when both UK and the flying carrier along with destination country have no issues.
AI got caught with hands in cookie jar when they were flying close to full schedule on pretext of repatriation flights and when confronted by respective agencies, they created the so called bubbles which still benefit AI.
All in the game to increase balance sheet for divestment ahead.
Saying things like one of my flights was full and the other flight I took was empty and therefore AI is somehow cheating is absurd. Also, you're giving AI far more credit than they're due. They operate at the highest levels of governmental incompetency & bungling.

They did take advantage of the VBM flights initially but everyone caught on to it in a week or so after they started breaking the VBM rules. Today AI has zero competitive advantage in any international route over a local airline.

If they're flying full J to UK & US today - kudos to them - they've won that business. People could have traveled on UA or BA just as easily. Those airlines and others are allowed to fly just as many flights with the same pax categories as AI. Similarly for the ME - AI flies the same types of pax and is allowed the same number of flights as the ME3s. If people choose AI over ME3 then that's a real business win for AI. GoI hasn't in any way officially or unofficially discouraged people from flying non-AI flights to or from India.

As for the disinvestment - nobody is going to buy them. And neither is flying 20 extra "unfair" flights going to be more than a drop in the billions of dollars of debt they have.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Sep 29, 2020 at 3:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.